Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apparel Arts: Correct Hats for the Occasion

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I’m really liking it as the Basil. A unique style that really gives a vibe of the early 20th century. Now I need to find one of my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks Deadly. The style is growing on me, too. I hope you do find one. Who knows, between us we might bring the snap brim Homburg back into fashion [emoji4]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Thanks Deadly. The style is growing on me, too. I hope you do find one. Who knows, between us we might bring the snap brim Homburg back into fashion [emoji4]

Fashion trendsetter is not the first thing that comes to mind when people think of me. It is a nice look and I’m on the hunt; I’ll have to make due with a lesser hat than yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I couldn't agree more, sir. It would be great to hear from Ruvort where these drawings come from. They could add so much to our understanding of hat culture. What was in back then, and what didn't catch on. I wrote that they looked like they were from the 50s, but now believe they could be anytime from the mid 30s to 50s.
Thanks for posting this Ruvort, very interesting

ruvort

One of the Regulars
I couldn't agree more, sir. It would be great to hear from Ruvort where these drawings come from. They could add so much to our understanding of hat culture. What was in back then, and what didn't catch on. I wrote that they looked like they were from the 50s, but now believe they could be anytime from the mid 30s to 50s.

I wish I knew. I only know that it came from Apparel Arts. @Feraud might know more. I found a post of his where he posted some photos of the actual magazine: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/homburg-style.21153/#post-379650

Edit:

Some further info on the subject: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-snap-brim-homburg.20159/

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I wish I knew. I only know that it came from Apparel Arts. @Feraud might know more. I found a post of his where he posted some photos of the actual magazine: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/homburg-style.21153/#post-379650

Edit:

Some further info on the subject: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-snap-brim-homburg.20159/

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the links, Ruvort. Some very interesting comments and hats. It's always fascinating to read how different types of hats have evolved over the decades.
One of the comments could be used about my Battersby: it doesn't look quite right with the brim up or down. I'm glad it's in my collection though.
Thanks for helping me find out what it is.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Greetings All:
Concerning that Sherlock hat. I’m thinking Basal is a pretty long oval and i bet the back of his hat is pulled down a little bit so the sides wing up a bit more. Kinda like arch front to rear. I think that’s why it looks good on him. Guess i’d have to watch the movie to see. Idk
Bowen

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
A very good excuse to see a Sherlock Holmes film from the 30s, Bowen [emoji4]
Greetings All:
Concerning that Sherlock hat. I’m thinking Basal is a pretty long oval and i bet the back of his hat is pulled down a little bit so the sides wing up a bit more. Kinda like arch front to rear. I think that’s why it looks good on him. Guess i’d have to watch the movie to see. Idk
Bowen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR