Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

April, 1948: Meet THE BOLD LOOK

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Rittmeister said:
One of the best dressed gangsters, Benny Siegel (center). He looks more like a businessman here.
ben50.jpg

Bugsy's gorge is a little high and his slacks are a little too thin for a proper bold look.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Widebrim said:
Question: Why does the word "the" always appear red on this thread?

You came to the thread through searching a term, as suggested by your answer of yesterday, when the post before it is two months old.

You included the word The in the search terms - rather uselessly so, given the forum software's limits - clicked the link to this thread, and the other word(s) after the The are somewhere else on the page or a page before.

It's probably too late now, but you could have seen something like "&highlite=the+" in the URL.

Rittmeister

Familiar Face
I agree. This has got to be a 40s pre-bold-look suit. But the fit is great and he does not have the stereotypical gangster look.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Widebrim said:
(Question: Why does the word "the" always appear red on this thread?)

I'd suspect that you did a search to find this message, and that search included the word "the" in it. It highlights any of the search terms in red and I believe bold. If you type in "Cat in the hat" it highlights any of those four words, not the entire sentence, title or phrase you enter into the search box.

Rittmeister

Familiar Face
I just watched Design for Scandal from 1941. Walter Pidgeon seems to have the beginnings of the Bold Look already. There is one scene in which the characters are wearing three styles at the same time. Pidgeon is wearing a 6-button long roll lapel suit with only the bottom button closed, Edward Arnold is in a traditional db common is the 30s and early 40s, and his attorney, Thurston Hall, is wearing a three-piece suit with a wing collar. From movies I have seen, it looks like the fuller jackets and spread collars of the Bold Look were beginning to be worn during WWII. Perhaps men who were not in uniform were already moving to a looser, non-uniform-cut style. Any thoughts from others?

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! I was posting pics for ebay and I usually model the clothes that fit me. I had just snapped some pics for an outfit with a brown color scheme, and when I got to this jacket, I did'nt feel like changing my shirt. To my surprise, the brown and gray worked well together!

Talbot

One Too Many
805, I'm not sure what firme means, but if its good, you got it in spades.

(no disrespect BTW, us Aussies are a bit isolated:) )

Swinging outfit, solid and ready! Takes a toe hold and cuts from the heel.

You have inspired me to start wearing my vintage neckties to the office again.

Dig that narrow belt in your earlier pic

Rittmeister

Familiar Face
Baron, your comment about the eyes is very interesting. I just watched Nocturne with George Raft. He also never blinks - and he and Siegel were friends. I think it comes from living around the underworld environment.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Talbot said:
805, I'm not sure what firme means, but if its good, you got it in spades.

Firme literally means "firm", but in pachuco slang it means "terrific" or as hepkats say "real gone!"

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Is this the Bold Look?

stetson_playboy.jpg

I can't see this fellows lapels, and I don't know the date of the ad. Is this part of the Bold Look, do you think, or something later? It's the look I've got, but I don't really know how to describe it - I was beginning to think I was a trad, but all my jackets have darts.

Edit: Answered my own question, I just found this advertisement on eBay dated September 10, 1945. So I guess it could be the Bold Look before it was codified by Esquire.

-Dave

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Here's an ad from another thread that shows the Bold Look well.

Low button stance and low gorge along with a wide-striped tie.

1946, exact date unknown.
1001-2.jpg

Note the "new, refreshing" part, perhaps indicating the 'new, refreshing' Bold Look.
1002-2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24