Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are all M-422 and G-1 goatskin? no horse hide?

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I noticed that both, Aero and ELC are making their M-422 / G-1 in goatskin. Are all M-422 and G-1 goatskin? Why no horse hide?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I noticed that both, Aero and ELC are making their M-422 / G-1 in goatskin. Are all M-422 and G-1 goatskin? Why no horse hide?

All issued M-422s, M-422As, AN-Js and 55j14s were made from goatskin. Mil j 7823 G-1s were all goatskin up until the E-series jackets (1972). E-series G-1s can be made from goatskin or embossed cowhide. Horsehide was never used to make issued Navy jackets.

AF

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Ok :) thanks for you input

I was thinking in getting me a m-422 from Aero whenever I receive my Bronco A2 but I have their leather samples on my desk and their goatskin is very stiff and hard material. I don't want this. I'll contact them to find out if they are willing to use any other hide.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Ok :) thanks for you input

I was thinking in getting me a m-422 from Aero whenever I receive my Bronco A2 but I have their leather samples on my desk and their goatskin is very stiff and hard material. I don't want this. I'll contact them to find out if they are willing to use any other hide.

That is odd. Goatskin typically has the best drape of all the traditional flight jacket leathers...except cape.

AF

I find that odd too AF! And for another 2¢, I have a cape A-2 Bronco (Aero) and it's as soft and "drapey" as any other goat. Something is off, or the scrap sample is just rough edged hide...

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Well :) this goatskin sample I've got from Aero is so stiff that I could slap somebody in the face with it. I already have an ELC A-2 that is made of similar stuff. I use this jacket whenever I need something very rough but to be honest, I have enough with one :eek:

You can do whatever you want - assuming Aero will make it. Why not? If you feel the urge - different is good. You ain't flyin' Corsairs or F-16s, so if it moves you, have at it.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
then there is the question if some degree of stiffness is part of the m-422 / G-1 look. I don't know if it is so but I think this jacket works better in slim fit. Fellow Jan Solo's Aero m422 works very good;

2981521504_f0a88a5147.jpg

Some mall market copies are too loose and too supple.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic