Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are bash definitions uniform or varied by culture?

facade

A-List Customer
I took a hat into a shop (one that has been recommended here) yesterday for a cleaning and rebash. The owner asked if I wanted the standard teardrop and I said or a C crown would be fine also. To which he pointed to a hat with what we here would call a center dent (aka a hat with no C shape at all) and referred to that as a C Crown hat.

This of course does not fill me with a lot of confidence in the work I will receive. How can the owner not know what a C Crown is? But I'm wondering if its just a cultural difference in terms and a term I might assume everyone knows and uses just isn't the case.

So anyone ever hear of center dent fedora called a C Crown or should I be afraid, very afraid?

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
Just a guess. I assume the hatter wanted to make sure you didn't mean center dent.

My take is he thought the C you were stating was short for Center therefore his reference to Center Crease instead of a "C" crease.
JMHO... As long as you have a local hatter, you should not feel afraid but fortunate...

facade

A-List Customer
My take is he thought the C you were stating was short for Center therefore his reference to Center Crease instead of a "C" crease.
JMHO... As long as you have a local hatter, you should not feel afraid but fortunate...

That seems a reasonable interpretation. C crown and center crease could easily be interchanged.

Local doesn't mean good though. I went into another local shop last year (which has since closed) to buy a hat brush. The gentleman in the store was seated and reading a newspaper. After looking about the shop a bit I asked him if they had any hat brushes for sale. He glanced up from his paper and in a bothered tone he replied "Hat brushes? No. Just use any old brush." and went back to reading his paper.

Tone

A-List Customer
Why not have them leave it open crowned for you to style yourself? You can "bash" in whatever top dent you choose without fussing over what it's called. [huh]

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I took a hat into a shop (one that has been recommended here) yesterday for a cleaning and rebash. The owner asked if I wanted the standard teardrop and I said or a C crown would be fine also. To which he pointed to a hat with what we here would call a center dent (aka a hat with no C shape at all) and referred to that as a C Crown hat.

This of course does not fill me with a lot of confidence in the work I will receive. How can the owner not know what a C Crown is? But I'm wondering if its just a cultural difference in terms and a term I might assume everyone knows and uses just isn't the case.

So anyone ever hear of center dent fedora called a C Crown or should I be afraid, very afraid?

The poor fellow must have been confused. He probably thought he was working in a shoe store.

HatsEnough

Banned
I never heard the word "bash" until I started coming here. I always heard it called a "crease" or "dent" instead. I am also aware that some western dent names were specific to certain areas of the country. So, yeah, I can see creases having different names in different parts of the world. Still, a "C" crease seems pretty obvious to me! I would probably have risen my eyebrows at that one, too.

SgtRick

One of the Regulars
That seems a reasonable interpretation. C crown and center crease could easily be interchanged.

Local doesn't mean good though. I went into another local shop last year (which has since closed) to buy a hat brush. The gentleman in the store was seated and reading a newspaper. After looking about the shop a bit I asked him if they had any hat brushes for sale. He glanced up from his paper and in a bothered tone he replied "Hat brushes? No. Just use any old brush." and went back to reading his paper.

Sounds like a good explanation as to why his shop is no longer around.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley