Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Caiman boots difficult to keep in nice condition?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I was really looking into getting a nice pair of Lucchese Caiman boots, namely these: Charles

I wanted this boot for a while and were going to treat myself to something nice and get it. But I wondered what people thought of it and especially if Caiman is hard to keep in nice condition. Is it difficult to take care of?

Fifty150

One Too Many
If the manufacturer uses good quality leather, then you should have no worries. I doubt if Lucchese would sell boots with an exotic hide which peels or falls apart. From my limited experience, it's usually the lower quality leather that you find when buying boots at places like flea markets, that have problems. I have friends who bought snakeskin boots from Mexico. Most of those eventually had scales peel back, and the leather cracks. I suspect that it has to do with how they tan the skin. Reminds me of those poor quality eel skin belts and wallets.

I wouldn't worry too much. Brands who sell more expensive leather goods, like boots and jackets, use premium quality hides. They are made for you to wear, and not have to worry about them falling apart. You can buy products labeled for exotic skins.

1686637388014.png

I have much less expensive Tony Lama lizard skin. Right or wrong, I have not invested much into leather products. Clean with saddle soap as needed. A little condition lotion. Rub on a layer wax paste polish. Then brush it. A quarter century later........

IMG_20230612_230047923.jpg

IMG_20230612_232737404.jpg

I was really looking into getting a nice pair of Lucchese Caiman boots, namely these: Charles

I wanted this boot for a while and were going to treat myself to something nice and get it. But I wondered what people thought of it and especially if Caiman is hard to keep in nice condition. Is it difficult to take care of?
Exotic leather hides tanned from reptiles that live in water need to be regularly treated to keep them from drying out. If not regularly maintained the scales will curl & they will crack between the scales. Never use a paste polish that will seal off the pores in the hide either. All aquatic reptile exotics are fragile in their tanned state, some more than others such as the fore mentioned eel. Frogs are another.

If you want a tough as nails, low maintenance hide find you a pair of elephant. Think of the environment they live in.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points