Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are fedoras in 2015 the top hat of the 1960s?

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Since fedoras are rarely worn in 2015, and that top hats are rarely worn the 60s...

Does that make Fedoras the Top hats of the 60s?

I've heard that it's accecptable on this forum to wear a fedora or any felt with "casual" clothes: jeans, t shirts, sweaters,etc.

Do you think Top hats can be worn the same way? I know its fashion forward, but

I would like to know where I can find an opera hat, a good high quality one.

I'm thinking about wearing it with jeans, sweater, and an overcoat.

What do you guys think, I don't care if it's different.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I take if from your question that you're young. As it happens I wore a silk top hat with corduroys and a sweater in the 1970's. I was a kid and it was the 1970's. Yesterday I saw a guy wearing a t-shirt, cargo shorts, and a bowler. He looked okay but I'm sure the look would irritate others. I like the look of knockabout clothing and don't even own a suit so I have my biases. A top hat with casual clothing and an overcoat will look very strange and attract attention, a few doorman jokes and maybe a fight or two depending on where and what time you go out in it. If you're good with that, bring it on.

I don't think you can compare the use of a fedora and top hat in those periods. The hats played different sartorial roles and the categories are different in as much as a top hat always had specific applications whilst the fedora was utilitarian. In the 1960's you saw very, very few top hats and they were never worn the way a fedora is. The last time a top hat was worn as a daily wearer was the 19th and very early 20th century.

SurfGent

Suspended
image.jpg hears me in a top hat in 2015. Practice night at the lodge. Lol !

Aether

One of the Regulars
Interesting that you wear hats in the lodge in the US (is it only whilst you are in the 'chair'?). Unfortunately we don't have the same tradition in the UK. Maybe I should try to introduce it into my lodge when I'm in the chair!

SurfGent

Suspended
Only when we're sitting in the east. Doe's one where the top hat. I didn't know that about UK lodges.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR