Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there comfortable bowler hats?

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
My newish Beaver Brand bowler fits perfectly (I told them 23 inches and it's 23 inches). [The Fedora Store has a couple of Beaver Brand bowlers, one stingy and one with a wider brim I think.] it's unusually stingy. The crown is so high, the stiffness of the felt isn't an issue. The sweatband is just like any other fur-felt hat I've owned that fits, probably Roan. I haven't ever noticed any greater comfort with vintage hats that fit, just because they're older, or anything.

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
Oh you guys, quit it! Maybe after soaking your feet you should stand on your head? Then some of the water will go to your hat. I think we're getting WAY:eek:fftopic: . but it's fun.

Topper

Vendor
Be carefuly about were you try an put my head old chap :eek:

Most bolwers made a long time back were British, we're renowned for our Stiff upper lips as well as our Stiff Bowlers! lol

Actually the oldest ones including the origonal made centuries ago are hard shell, bowlers - meaning that have a separate hard shell and covered by felt. So forget all you processes you have been discussing about felt stiffining sprays and steaming - it wont work as they were made a different way, more like Toppers :p

City bowlers, as they were called, were not used for riding, and were then made with just a felt crown that was stiffened, similar to felt fedoras, as did not have separate shells.

The modern bowler still being made in felt style and also in a 'off the shelf' hunting style, by Christys and Locks which include a luxary "Hunting Pad" style lining - whilst this is stronger than most, They are not official 'saftey hats' or approved as such for riding. I can still get a bolwer made in the old way with a hard shell covered by felt ( hard enough to stand on! :eusa_clap but no official saftey approval) , also I am looking at a softer felt only to be release under my own brand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou