Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Vintage Fragrances Safe To Use?

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
I recently acquired some vintage colognes and am wondering if they are still safe to use? A few don't smell right so, I will naturally avoid them.

I am talking 40+ yr old colognes/perfumes that look, smell alright. Does anyone know the "shelf life" when it comes to fragrance?

wahine

Practically Family
Why shouldn't they be safe? I think the only thing that can happen is that they lose their smell or the smell turns bad.
Fragrances usually consist mainly of essence oils and alcohol - I'm not a chemist but I don't think these ingredients are able to turn into something harmful.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I would suspect the alcohol would evaporate unless the bottle was hermetically sealed. You might need to dilute with fresh alcohol to restore the original strength.

Incidentally this happens with shoe polish too. If you have a can of shoe polish that is dried out, hard and cracked add some varsol, paint thinner or Stoddard solvent and put the can away for a few days. It will become as good as new.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I don't see how, but then I am no chemist or cosmetic expert. I would give it a try, but if it was obviously gone bad, throw it away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran