Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arguments For A Good Hat

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks for sharing.

I recall my "The early warning system sounds" moment clearly.

I do however know that even if I had hair as thick the grass on Tiger Woods lawn I would still wear a hat. I only wish I had found the lounge and started purchasing good hats sooner.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Well written and some interesting thoughts on "Hatting" :) I like this the best in the whole article ... "Ask her if your new covering will embarrass her when you go out in public together . . . but never reply if she uses your question as an opening to find out whether you think her new dress makes her bum look fat."
GOOD ADVICE :)

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
The whole JFK reasoning has more to people spending more time in cars and the styling of cars changing. Look at the roofs of cars in the 40's and early fifty's. Then look at cars in the sixtys.

39 Chevy Deluxe.

1939_Chevrolet_Master_De_Luxe_JA_4-Door_Sedan_AJJ931.jpg

56 Chevy.

1956%20chevy%20003.jpg

66 Chevy

jeff_impala_lh_0604.jpg

Just look at the head room on those 40's and 50's cars. You could get in the car with your hat still on. Not so easy with the 60's cars and the cars of today.
I always have to watch how I sit down when wearing a Fedora and getting into my car so the the crown doesn't hit the roof. Wearing my newsboy's never a worry. Today's baseball cap is the decendant of the newsboy caps.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Today's baseball cap is the decendant of the newsboy caps.

Both types got their start in the late 19th C. In fact, 1860 is the date given for the first recognizable baseball cap that was worn in a baseball game. So either they both got their starts at around the same time, or the baseball cap predated the newsboy cap by a few years.

The flat cap, however, can be traced back to the 14th C. The only thing a flat cap and newsboy cap have in common is that they have a bill, and the folding of part of the crown's material over the bill. Otherwise, the crowns are built differently.

Engrishman

Familiar Face
The whole JFK reasoning has more to people spending more time in cars and the styling of cars changing. Look at the roofs of cars in the 40's and early fifty's. Then look at cars in the sixtys.

I like how the article covers both bases, but there doesn't seem to be any consensus as to which came first.

The demise of men’s hats as a required piece of apparel, as they were in dad’s day, can be laid directly at the feet of President John F. Kennedy... This new, liberated style even had an impact on the auto industry. Cars were designed with lower rooflines because men no longer wore hats like Bogart (or smoked unfiltered Camels) when they sat behind the wheel.

It's now a chicken-and-the-egg scenario: Which came first? Did JFK's vanity set the trend for men leaving their hats at home, allowing automobile manufacturers the license to lower car roofs? Or did car companies squash hat wearing by releasing cars with lower and lower roofs, forcing trendsetters (like JFK) to leave their hats at home? Correlation does not equal causality, after all.

Rat Pack

One of the Regulars
I bought my first "cap", a Kangol after a week in a convertible on Maui. Although I have a "full" head of hair, it's always been baby fine, so I know very well the the "scalp on fire" feeling he mentions :)

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
Don't be fooled by the height of the rooflines.The cars of the 60s had lower rooflines,but you also sat lower in the seats. The 40s & 50s cars had higher sitting bench seats,thus less headroom than one might expect.I own 2 trucks from the 50s,and they dont have the headroom you might think,but lots of guys wore fedoras while driving.Some of th 40s cabs were really tight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic