Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Deco Computer Screen

slipperyskip

New in Town
I've been kicking around the idea of building an art deco-styled monitor to match up with my art deco-inspired computer cases.

Last year I fell in love with a clock that was offered on eBay.

pict0832.jpg

My idea was (is?) to use this as the basis for mounting a flat LCD screen.

This week, at the Consumer Electronics Show, Dell rolled out a show piece monitor that re-ignited by imagination.

CES_Dell_22Concept.jpg

Any ideas? thoughts? puking sounds?

The idea is to combine the glass plate and deco feet with a frameless LCD screen.

Trickeration

Practically Family
The computer was cool. My son thought it was an old radio when I showed him the picture. I like the clear frame for the monitor, but I'd say make thick. Maybe 3/4 inch or so, like some of the lucite handles and frames you see on vintage pieces. You could possibly even etch a design into it. Or not. Are you thinking regular glass or something else? Glass would be kind of heavy and fragile, and prone to chipping. I'd think maybe some kind of plexiglass or acrylic. Just my 2 cents. :)

slipperyskip

New in Town
Trickeration said:
The computer was cool. My son thought it was an old radio when I showed him the picture. I like the clear frame for the monitor, but I'd say make thick. Maybe 3/4 inch or so, like some of the lucite handles and frames you see on vintage pieces. You could possibly even etch a design into it. Or not. Are you thinking regular glass or something else? Glass would be kind of heavy and fragile, and prone to chipping. I'd think maybe some kind of plexiglass or acrylic. Just my 2 cents. :)

Thanks for the input.

It is more than a just a frame. The glass, Lucite, Lexan, ??? panel is a solid sheet so the LCD is projecting through it. I would be concerned about distortion if it got too thick. The etching idea sounds good. Thanks.

BTW, the clock above sold for over $2,000. I'm sure the fact that is made of glass automatically makes it rare, especially in that condition.

Mr. Pinstripe Suit

New in Town
As long as it includes the terraced "feet" on each end...YES!

This clock is one more reason I'm a decoholic! Your recreation would be outstanding I'm sure, based on your other creations, so I'll look forward to seeing it. If you wanted to go ginormous, I know they're now making nearly 40" LCD panels, combining with television tuners now.

Say...you could even remount a small LCD TV in this deco style and put the electronics in one of your fine wooden deco boxes!

Please!! :eusa_clap

Cheers,

-Kevin

slipperyskip said:
I've been kicking around the idea of building an art deco-styled monitor to match up with my art deco-inspired computer cases.

Last year I fell in love with a clock that was offered on eBay.

[SNIPPED]

The idea is to combine the glass plate and deco feet with a frameless LCD screen.

MAGNAVERDE

New in Town
These days, I live in a 1926 Tudorbethan apartment building in Chicago, and giving myself a few years' time to have put the place together before getting wiped out in the crash, the cut-off date for my decor is 1929, and that decor is strictly traditional, as it might have then appeared in the pages of House & Garden magazine. Of course, the kitchen is still a work-in-progress because I haven't yet found a stove on legs to match my sink on legs, but that year is still the goal.

But my previous place was a sleek, ribbon-windowed highrise--think Hercule Poirot's building--my all-gray apartment's only "decoration" was a wall-size map mural inspired by the one in a lounge on the Hindenburg, and the furniture--what little there was-- was all tubular metal & gray leather.
DESK--Airship20Apt20jpg.jpg

This picture is only a pastiche--half photo & half MSPaint drawing--because I couldn't back up far enough to get the whole room in a single shot without distortion, but you get the idea. Anyway, if I were still there, I would absolutely have an en suite computer, one with its monitor housed inside a streamlined chrome breadbox, with an inset face of brushed aluminum, tear-drop shaped bakelite knobs that came off an old stove, and the chrome-plated logo off the beat-up refrigerator in my first college apartment.

But after seeing the above pictures, I think I should go ahead and do it anyway. Right now, my boring 2004 computer is hidden away inside a base cabinet in my kitchen, and I have to sit on the floor to use it. At least with a gleaming World of Tomorrow chassis, it could sit out on the counter in plain sight & I could sit in an actual chair.

Regards,
Magnaverde.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Nicely rendered

MAGNAVERDE said:
But after seeing the above pictures, I think I should go ahead and do it anyway. Right now, my boring 2004 computer is hidden away inside a base cabinet in my kitchen, and I have to sit on the floor to use it. At least with a gleaming World of Tomorrow chassis, it could sit out on the counter in plain sight & I could sit in an actual chair.

Magnaverde,
That wallspace cries out for a camoflauged flat screen tv, even if it's embedded a few inches.

See:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=247807&postcount=34

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BJonas said:
:eusa_clap

Very cool. Always wondered how computers would look if manufactured in the 1930's.

But such computers are in the film "Brazil." That's exactly what they set out to show. It's hilarious and charming and kind of touching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany