Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Deco Figures

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Not sure if there is already a thread for these lovely objects, if their is my apologies in advance"

"I was shopping lakeside, this morning and walked past a florist with a lovely deco sculpture, in the window , I walked in and had a look, it was actually quite a good reproduction, I chatted with the charming shop assistant and she told me the owner of the shop had a warehouse full of em!! I really liked this one, the photograph is from the website, the one in the shop was "Silvered" which I thought rather "jolly"

4121495364_2ec349f7c9.jpg

http://www.bronzeandmarblegallery.com

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I love those Deco era statues. They're sort of iconic, like Tamara Lempika paintings. You can get originals for several hundred to a couple grand, or you can get repros, made of some concoction of bronze powder and resin, for under $200. Some are authentic repros of originals, but there are also modern versions that don't quite have that artistic something or other. At some point I was one of those charming young ladies for my very Deco apartment.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
This poor old lady was purchased by my Grandmother in the 30's. Originally she was holding a large frosted glass fruit bowl. The bowl was broken (Dad reckons Nan threw it at Pop!) & it was then used for many years as a door stop.

I know it's nothing special to look at, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

P1010450.jpg

analiebe

A-List Customer
ooooh binkie... i just adore this!!!

BinkieBaumont said:
"Not sure if there is already a thread for these lovely objects, if their is my apologies in advance"

"I was shopping lakeside, this morning and walked past a florist with a lovely deco sculpture, in the window , I walked in and had a look, it was actually quite a good reproduction, I chatted with the charming shop assistant and she told me the owner of the shop had a warehouse full of em!! I really liked this one, the photograph is from the website, the one in the shop was "Silvered" which I thought rather "jolly"

4121495364_2ec349f7c9.jpg

http://www.bronzeandmarblegallery.com

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
lolly_loisides said:
This poor old lady was purchased by my Grandmother in the 30's. Originally she was holding a large frosted glass fruit bowl. The bowl was broken (Dad reckons Nan threw it at Pop!) & it was then used for many years as a door stop.

P1010450.jpg
Sure it wasn't originally an ash tray? Maybe the fruit bowl replaced an even earlier broken glass ash tray. How tall is it? From this angle she looks like the Statue of Liberty. Personally, I think she's FABULOUS.

(The Lounge software is interpreting the L O L in the image name as a smiley. Grumble!)
Edit: I just noticed that on the Additional Options section of posts, there's a box that says Disable Smileys. Good to know.)

tuppence

Practically Family
lolly_loisides said:

P1010450.jpg

Oooh No Lolly, Thats a Diana statue, and is really gorgeous. You can get her in a lamp version as well. I have definitely wanted a Diana lamp for a long time.

Dhermann , they turn up quite regularly on Aussie ebay, the lamp is the most common version, they even make repros.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
I've loved the ones created by Demetre Chiparus for quite some time now, yet I don't own any statue that even remotely looks like one of his.

There is a very broad price range for reproductions, the better ones can break most personal budgets; that easily includes mine.
I don't feel too badly about not being able to purchase one because I haven't found anyone who makes reproductions that look as good as his originals. ;) - At least that's what I'll tell myself to make me feel 'better' about it for now.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Sorry for the tiny image, I'll have to find the larger file (stored somewhere) if anyone's interested. This figurine belongs to my mom. Years ago, when I was experimenting with lighting and teaching myself photography, I took this shot of it in front of a vase, since I thought the lines made an interesting composition.

lscarf.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner