Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Nouveau Loft Bed?

MB5

One of the Regulars
I am planning to loft my bed, and I would like to do more than just bolt together some lumber. Does anyone have photos of, or know of a good source for photos of large scale Art Nouveau furniture? I have been looking for a while now and have not seen anything that I think I can make work.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I'd go more for books on French art nouveau architecture--my engagement ring was designed in the art nouveau style and the architecture book was the main resource for it..

Please do post pictures of it when it's finished--nouveau is my absolute favorite design style and I would LOVE to see what you create. !!! It's fab to know there are others out there who admire the beauty of it.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Here is a large secretary in the nouveau style (at least elements of it). I hope that it helps!

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3719.jpg

Starius

Practically Family
My two favorite books on the subject (and they do make good companion books):

8c95c060ada078a615f8e110._AA240_.L.jpg

Art Nouveau
By Joan Lahor
ISBN: 978-1840138917

51BBrKv00FL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Art Nouveau: Utopia: Reconciling the Irreconcilable (Taschen's 25th Anniversary Special Edition)
by Klaus-Jurgen Sembach
ISBN: 978-3822830062

Here is one I saw in the film Judex from 1963:
vlcsnap00013lp6.jpg

One of the books mentioned above has a nice picture of one, I think, I'll look through them later and post it here if I find it.

MB5

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the book recommendations. These are the two I have been using, as well as a guide to the Musee d'Orsay and some photos from there, as well as other photos from the internet.

nouveau.jpg

It looks like I have an earlier edition of Art Nouveau: Utopia: Reconciling the Irreconcilable, and it is a great book. Flipping through it again, I may have found something that will work. But please keep the photos and recommendations coming.

Thebadmamajama, I will be sure to post photos. I will post the design sketches when they are finished as there will likely be a "bit" of a gap between design completion and project execution.

Starius

Practically Family
There are 3 examples of beds in the Jean Lahor book:

lahornouveaubed1gg1.jpg

lahornouveaubed2oa7.jpg

There are plenty of other types of Nouveau furniture out there though, and I think for your particular project you'd gather more inspiration from them than other beds out there since you're doing something "lofty," so to speak.

The function part is easy enough, a bed is a bed... there is only so much variation you can go with it. The potential magic here is in the details, so I would personally draw inspiration from all areas of art nouveau, from windows, doors, and exterior architecture to desks, cabinets, and posters.

This is something I've put a lot of thought into myself, as I someday plan to convert the family barn into a nouveau style home. But thats a long time off still, but I'm curious to see what you do with your project so keep us updated here if you can. :)

EDIT:
Also, as a after thought, I do have a thread going here on examples of Art Nouveau in Film: http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=34446
Not a long list yet, but I will update it as I find more examples.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto