Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art that Focuses on the Heat

poetman

A-List Customer
I am wondering if others here have come across images (or even the right books or films) that depict stifling summer heat--especially indoors: something like the hardboiled detective with up-rolled sleeves at his desk with windows open and fan running; the couple languidly laying there, trying to soak up the breeze; or the man reading the paper with the fan. None of the images below quite capture the heat well enough, but they give you a sense of what I am after. If anyone can think of other art--or film or literature--that captures this, I would appreciate the recommendations!
air2-e1464798812383.png

images
summer-time-without-air-conditioning-750x375.jpg
larger.jpg
summer-in-the-city_EdwardHopper.jpg

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
„The Thirsty Man“ by Erik Henningsen, though as outside as possible. Preparing for their 25th anniversary in 1900 Tuborg started a paintings contest for a new advertising campaign. Though Henningsen’s oil painting did not win the contest, the owner of the brewery choose this on to be used. A classic today, widely known, at least over Europe.

Tuborg-Den-T%C3%B8rstige-Mand1.jpg

Haversack

One Too Many
Another movie who's title is all about beating the heat is Ice Cold in Alex, (1958). The final scene was even used by the other Danish brewery as an advertisement.

poetman

A-List Customer
Thank you for these replies, everyone. Has anyone come across images—even stills from films—that depict the effects of summer heat on people indoors?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo