Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Article: "Should A Kindergartner Really Be Listening To Nicki Minaj?"

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
And Carole Lombard, of course. I've heard Ann Sheridan, too, liked to sail the 7 seas where swear words were concerned...

And yo, man, it was like, well sick! :eeek: I can honestly say that a tiny percentage of my decision to move back to the UK from the US was that I could no longer bear to hear the word "awesome" every 2 minutes..."ginormous" runs a close second in the annoyance race.

I must admit to having more than somewhat of a potty mouth, but it's more a reaction when I'm unable to do something right (My dance teacher has trained me into saying my "nice" swear word, "shinola" a fair amount of the time, but pretty often what it's meant to replace slips out...oops! Just channeling Miss Lombard. :D)

Wow you would wish to move due to hearing the word, "awesome", that is so very awesome that you would have done so, wickedly awesome at that! lololol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Rap talk delivered "ironically" by suburban white people needs to stop. I once had a boss who used to enter the office every morning with "whaaaaaaadup dawwwwwwgs?" and I used to have dreams about throwing him out a sixth-floor window.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Rap talk delivered "ironically" by suburban white people needs to stop. I once had a boss who used to enter the office every morning with "whaaaaaaadup dawwwwwwgs?" and I used to have dreams about throwing him out a sixth-floor window.

Oh lord, yes, that is a must and the other one used far too much, "Homie"!

What is a "Homie"? Is that short for a non heterosexual, or just someone that wants to free load off you by moving in and not leaving very soon? You know, like Uncle Buck!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
So, you prefer brilliant? ;)

Hmm, yes, by far - but usually in a negative, as in "Traffic jam? Now that's just bloody brilliant!" Nah, give me "swell", "ace", or even "stellar"...:)

Wow you would wish to move due to hearing the word, "awesome", that is so very awesome that you would have done so, wickedly awesome at that! lololol

:laugh:

Who threw the dawgs out??? :)

Equally appalling is the gesture mimicry that occurs (see abovementioned video of prepubescent suburban white females). It's just plain embarrassing, like your dad dancing to "Footloose" at a wedding when he's in his cups. I'm sure these gestures have some great cultural significance which just flies over my head, but it just looks plain stupid when it's not "playas" doing them.

I still remember when my mother started to use the word "boo" (as in boyfriend, not scary scary) and I just felt like crawling under a rock. Please, Mother, boyfriend, beau, significant other, even squeeze if you must, but please, not the latest urban slang when you live in Upper Podunk, PA. Facepalm.

Last edited:

Pompidou

One Too Many
Hmm, yes, by far - but usually in a negative, as in "Traffic jam? Now that's just bloody brilliant!" Nah, give me "swell", "ace", or even "stellar"...:)

:laugh:

Who threw the dawgs out??? :)

Equally appalling is the gesture mimicry that occurs (see abovementioned video of prepubescent suburban white females). It's just plain embarrassing, like your dad dancing to "Footloose" at a wedding when he's in his cups. I'm sure these gestures have some great cultural significance which just flies over my head, but it just looks plain stupid when it's not "playas" doing them.

I still remember when my mother started to use the word "boo" (as in boyfriend, not scary scary) and I just felt like crawling under a rock. Please, Mother, boyfriend, beau, significant other, even squeeze if you must, but please, not the latest urban slang when you live in Upper Podunk, PA. Facepalm.

Does the reverse apply? Would it be appropriate to say, "Look, enough with the proper diction and good manners, you're not upper class white."?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Oh lord, yes, that is a must and the other one used far too much, "Homie"!

What is a "Homie"? Is that short for a non heterosexual, or just someone that wants to free load off you by moving in and not leaving very soon? You know, like Uncle Buck!

'Homie' is short for 'homeboy' which a 100+ year old urban term for a male friend from back home. Blacks were moving in large numbers from small southern towns to large(r) northern cities. Running into a homeboy or 'homie' meant running into a male friend from your home town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart