Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Athletic sweatshirt?

Some less-expensive ones to consider below.

I own the Gustin one and it is outstanding (heavy, well made, great price), but it is crowdfunded, so you have to wait until they offer it. Which they do quite frequently. You can sign up for an email alert and Gustin will email you when it's available.

I don't own the Everlane one, but I own other things from Everlane and their items are fairly priced. I also don't own either the Bean or Uniqlo ones, but both companies' products tend to be very good value for the price.

Hope this helps, good luck.

https://www.weargustin.com/store/knits-usa-heather-grey-sweatshirt

https://www.everlane.com/products/m...crew-heather-grey?collection=mens-sweatshirts

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/123...atshirt&bc=12-26-907&feat=907-GN3&csp=f&pos=3

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-lo...s#start=1&cgid=men-sweatshirts-and-sweatpants

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I'm personally partial to the LL Bean athletic wear. It's cozy, durable, and difficult to shrink, but keeps its shape.

Steer Horse

New in Town
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Definitely heard of LL Bean before for their boots, so I think I’ll go with theirs. Wish they didn’t have their name sewn near the waistband, but I can’t complain at this price point.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Over here in the UK Marks and Spencer’s do a good line in classic sweats for a low price....

Duh

New in Town
kellsport.com, sweatshirtsusa.com I have their sweat pants and they're old school, all (95%) heavyweight cotton, like you can't find anywhere. Also I suggest arborwear.com. Double thick, all cotton, oversized hood, to fit over crash helmets that tree climbers wear. If you're price shopping, with this quality, you're looking in the wrong place.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I've owned most of the brands above. The best sweatshirt and hoodies I own are from American Giant. My navy full zip is now 12 years old and aside from the fade is in perfect condition (stitching, fabric, pockets, zipper).

American Giant Classic Full Zip
If we’re going to go best ever …and throw price out the window, I’ll say it’s Wonder Looper IMO.

I picked up one of their 701 GSM crew necks last month and LOVE it. If you want a heavy knit, French Terry, this is it.

I would’ve bought their hoodie, but I’m waiting for the zip version.

EDIT: excuse the sock, it was laundry day. Oh, and it’s Norma approved lol

972C8510-FDBD-4399-A9EE-A05FCB26F888.jpeg

Last edited:

Cowboy704

New in Town
I'm more of a reverse weave kind of guy. They've lasted longer for me over the years. Less snags and stretching. If my midsection hadn't grown my original Champion reverse weave issued by my team in 1993 would still be a weekly wear. It's in excellent condition.

YMMV.

I like the Japanese mills though. Been sucked into their selv. denim, RMC and Buzz jackets.

OP -- for a more budget conscious heavy duty sweatshirt the fabric of these are legit if you can get the sizing to work for you - like the Japanese mills they tend to size slimmer than US sizing.

Bronson Military Academy Reverse Weave
Bronson 21oz Terry Hoodie

Edward

Bartender
I have two from Sainsbury's TU Clothing line, I must try and dig out photos. One grey, one grey with raglan sleeves in black. The latter I wish I'd bought in a smaller size, though it's by no means unwearably big (both are XXL, but Tu's sizing can change it up a bit year on year owing to differences in supplier). Very pleased with the quality. Not quite on a par with the Buzz offerings, though certainly at least 50% of the way there for 10% of the retail cost...

Cathcart did some very nice sweatshirts a few years ago; not cheap, though much more so over here than Buzz again. Don't have one though as I didn't have the scratch that particular season.

With the two I have from Tu, it would have to be something very special to justify another one. I really like the ones I have, though. I stopped wearing sweatshirts and went off them in the mid-late 90s, but these (bought in 2016 and 2021) really are nice for lazy days around the house or layering in Winter when I'm not making an effort to go out out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui