Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australia (2008)

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Its all too silly for words, those pics of "traditional owners" in spotless, startched white mess Jackets, looking like they stepped of the 20th Century LTD and were carrying Joan Crawfords luggage instead of carrying "la Kidmans Luggage" do admit. Australia in the 30's especialy in the North of Western Australia would have been as basic as a "pensioners dry trim" in a Toni & Guy Salon...

Although Australias worst ever movie would have to be the "Nickel Queen" starring Googie Withers, Yes! Googie, not Google!!!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Saw it last night.
Nothing more than a story in a "womans magazine" (sorry ladies)
Very predictable but nice pictures and great landscapes - but that's not enough to make my day.
I will give it ** out of *****

Leila de la May

New in Town
zaika said:
my aussie friend actually laughed at the trailer. but i'm going to see it. lol hugh jackman can make me see the worst movies. hello kate and leopold!
I know not many people do, but I actually really liked kate and leopold he is just so charming and gentlemanly I can't help falling head over heels for that character :)
back on topic, I am definitely interested in seeing this movie, but am not too fussed if I don't get to see it straight away.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Charlie Noodles said:
I've heard Baz was quite careful to include every Australian cliche there is; is this true?

I found it considerably more realistic than most people were expecting. The people I saw it with in particular had no previous knowledge of Australians and were quite educated on several levles.

I think people don't realize that just because something is being glorified doesn't mean it is fictious.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Saw it today with my wife (age 50) and my aunt (age 87)

Everyone thought it was fantastic. I particularly liked the bombing of Darwin scenes and the cattle droving moments...

Eyemo

Practically Family
Thought it was excellent.. great entertainment.. felt good for seeing it..:eusa_clap

cookie

I'll Lock Up
What is killing Australia at the Box Office

Considering the amount of taxpayers' money in this film many are alarmed and asking why it only has 1 week left at the holiday cinemas. The consensus chez Cookie and at work = Nicole Kidman. She is box office bomb material. The overacting etc has drawn scorn and comes after her many previous flops.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Box Office Poison

I Think given Toms power in Hollywood, part of her divorce settlement, could have bee a six film contract, she has said that she is quite prepared to give up an acting career.

Orginaly Russell Crowe was cast in the Male lead, but he backed out ( wonder why!!!)

It should have been Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchet, It may have worked. .... I'm dreading what Baz is going to do with "The Great Gatsby" hope its not a musical on ice, set at shackletons Hut, as a metaphor for the recession:rage: "Even Jay Gatsby has to downsize, and move further out?"

Story

I'll Lock Up

Jerekson

One Too Many
I wasn't aware that Luhrmann was doing a verison of the Great Gatsby.

Now that I will look forward to! I happen to be reading it as we speak!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Long lost footage

The lost video footage Nicole "Prayed" you would never seen
some may say its a "Period" drama from the 80's, 1980's.... not that Edith Wharton fiddle faddle!

My other question is, is that Danni Minogue left side of the screen in the yellow helmet?

She seems more comfortable and relaxed in front of a camera as a 16yo than she does now?? what happened?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDlKQ9KCoqM&feature=related

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats