Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AUTHENTIC 1960's 3/2 sack in BLEEDING MADRAS! This is NOT MADE ANY MORE

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
AUTHENTIC 1960's 3/2 sack in BLEEDING MADRAS! This is NOT MADE ANY MORE!

This is ... stunning. An authentic 3/2 sack cut from genuine Bleeding Madras and sold by Harry Ballot of Princeton--one of the Big Four Ivy clothiers of the Golden Age of Ivy Style--this is a true Trad/Ivy GRAIL item.

First, the fabric. Bleeding Madras differs significantly from regular Madras in virtue of the fact that the dyes that were used to produce it "bled", resulting in an absolutely beautiful, subtle fabric after a few launderings (or, in the case of jackets, being caught in a few heavy summer showers!) in which the edges of the colours quietly and naturally had bled into each other. The effect was perfectly Ivy; beautiful, understated, and only achievable through time and use.

Bleeding Madras was the result of the use of Azo dyes (for the chemically inclined, these are compounds o the functional group R–N=N–R′, with the R molecule being an aryl) which produced vivid yellows, oranges, and reds, and which were exceptionally water soluble--hence the bleeding. Unfortunately, these dyes do not degrade under natural conditions, and when they accumulate in the waste discharge of dyeing factories have serious adverse environmental consequences. This lead to legal pressure to restrict or prohibit their use, and hence Bleeding Madras effectively ceased to be produced in the 1960s, although production of its colour-fast cousin (Madras) continued apace.

This jacket is cut from azo-dye Bleeding Madras--a fabric that, quite simply, is no longer made. The current absence of bleeding shows that this jacket was carefully kept away from rain, and so the colouring is as distinct as it was when this was first made.... beautiful dark greens like the hills in an Indian spring outside of Madras, dusty Indian taupes and muted blues, and stripes of saffron yellow. This is a beautiful jacket!

Originally retailed by Harry Ballot of Princeton, this is cut as a classic 3/2 sack, with a lovely lapel roll. It has a single centre hook vent, two button cuffs, and a half-lining. It is half-canvassed, and was, of course, Made in the USA.

It is in excellent condition.

Asking just $65, including US shipping, OR OFFER, for this rare and desirable grail item!

Measurements:

Chest: 21 5/8
Sleeve: 24 7/8 (+1 1/4)
Shoulder: 19 1/8
Length: 29 1/4

willyto

One Too Many
Pair it with some cream or white trousers and a pair of brown shoes and you've got a perfect summer outfit. I love it!

It's a shame shipping to Spain is so expensive plus the Taxes that I have to pay for anything that costs more than 22€ kill any good deal... otherwise some of your garments would be at my home for sure.

Last edited:

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
willyto, I offer International shipping at reduced cost, I'm ALWAYS open to offers..... and you don't need to worry about Customs, as at these prices my items are al effectively "gifts" or "used clothing", which are duty-free in most countries! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff