Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Authentic Hair Troubles

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
16_sparrows said:
MissTayva, What kind of wave can you achive with the triple barrel iron? I'm imagining that it could make something like this:
61988904_c7dd111de7.jpg

Or am I being too optimistic?

I don't know about that one, but I have this wonder of hot burning iron goodness...http://www.helenoftroyusa.com/products/vs/index.htm

And as the ladies who went to the QM Friday dinner and the Sunday tea will attest, it does indeed make combed out fingerwaves.

Available at *drumroll* Target..for like 25 dollars....it heats to absolute scorching hot levels...and you just hold it very still for as long as you can stand it there and voila! waves.

Vanessa

One Too Many
. . . Or scorched hair, if you're me. *shudder* I think I still have a burn mark from the last time I tried to use a curling iron. I'll just have to continue to admire your skills with the iron.

Betty's Double

New in Town
My first Post

This goes back to the original posting, because we are girls our hair could look like it came from any period during the golden era if you know how to style it right. There were many different styles whether it was pin curls, rat's nests, buns, or pompadors. Just find a haircut that is versitile. There is a way that you could give off the illusion that you have bangs if you want that style.

There have always been the classic cut for each time period, the bob for the twenties, the waved bob for the thrities, and several variations of the pin curl pompador for the fourties, but there are some styles that never go out with the old decade.

I normally wear my hair long and style it the way my grandmother did her's; A pomp (using rat nests or excess hair) with a few curls and a hair net. When it's short I curl it certain ways to make it look like the fourties or thirties and straighten it out and curl under to look like the twenties. I try not to get stuck with a hair cut that makes me have no other choice, but that one and only hair cut.

It is all in the style.;)

16_sparrows

Vendor
Miss Neecerie said:
I don't know about that one, but I have this wonder of hot burning iron goodness...http://www.helenoftroyusa.com/products/vs/index.htm

And as the ladies who went to the QM Friday dinner and the Sunday tea will attest, it does indeed make combed out fingerwaves.

Available at *drumroll* Target..for like 25 dollars....it heats to absolute scorching hot levels...and you just hold it very still for as long as you can stand it there and voila! waves.

Miss Neecerie, I got the home page when I clicked the link, are you talking about this triple barrel iron?
http://www.tsetters.com/catalog/ima...soon/Specialty_Irons&image=VS028.jpg&img=&tt=

If what you say is true, about the brushed out finger wave look, I'm going to have to run to Target and get me one of those!

Mimi Thomas

New in Town
I am having serious vintage hair issues right now. Due to the over-processing, I had to cut my hair very short a couple of weeks ago. Think Jean Seberg, but a touch longer. It's definitely a "gamine" cut, but I just can't do anything with it!

The closest I can find in looking for old Hollywood styles is Judy Holliday. Circa "It Could Happen to You" with Jack Lemmon. Very curled and smoothed back on the sides.

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm open to all suggestions right now.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
16_sparrows said:
Miss Neecerie, I got the home page when I clicked the link, are you talking about this triple barrel iron?
http://www.tsetters.com/catalog/ima...soon/Specialty_Irons&image=VS028.jpg&img=&tt=

If what you say is true, about the brushed out finger wave look, I'm going to have to run to Target and get me one of those!

Thats the one! It is heat adjustable, so if you have finer hair then I have, just set it lower....I think the whole trick is that you dont wrap hair around it ....you stick a length through and then press down....

I have a bob, but if you had longer hair....you could go around your head once, all at the same height from the top of head...then go back around further down....until you got to the end of your hair.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I picked up a Conair triple barrel curling iron at Big Lots! on Thanksgiving. Get a load of the price: $8. I tried it out today...I recommend it for those who have thinner hair. I have thick hair and it took some time doing it. Doing the back was very difficult. But for the vintage look of finger waves, it can do the job. I just need to practice a bit more with it.

USO Gal

New in Town
I have always wanted straight hair until I started vintage... now I am glad that I have natural fingerwaves (more or less). Now granted, mostly what I am going for is a 40s look and that doesn't always help. However, this thread made me very happy with my hair.

As someone with thick curly hair I just wanted to put a word in for my very favorite product for keeping curls in place and stopping them from frizzing - Spray Gel. I have found that it just somehow works much better with my curls than any hairspray.

I have even convinced my mother - who got married in 1957 and has been doing pincurls since the 40s (every 3 days like clockwork). She loves the stuff!

whistlebait

One of the Regulars
My hair is rather fine and straight with a bit of frizz and it has never grew past my shoulders. When it would get to that point it looked raggid. My hair tends to be oily as well so it makes for more of a hassle...anyway I typically wear and am now wearing my hair in a chin-length bob. I'd love to learn to make finger waves. USO Gal--what brand of spray gel do you use?

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
swinggal said:
Love Ritas hair
ritahayworth01.JPG

Does anyone know how one would go about recreating this hair? Or is it perhaps a lost cause?

(Last time I tried I looked like Barbarella, which was kind of an interesting look for the 10 minutes it lasted. Ugh, my hair used to hold a curl for weeks in high school. Le sigh.)

BV

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
ITG said:
I picked up a Conair triple barrel curling iron at Big Lots! on Thanksgiving. Get a load of the price: $8. I tried it out today...I recommend it for those who have thinner hair. I have thick hair and it took some time doing it. Doing the back was very difficult. But for the vintage look of finger waves, it can do the job. I just need to practice a bit more with it.

I have thick hair and used it ever once in a while. What I did was do only the outer layer of my hair, then put it up in a bun at the back. even though my hair was straight underneath, you couldn't really tell!

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Front Bettie Roll

MJCalloway said:
Could anyone help with any instructions on how to do a front roll with your hair? I can do the side without a problem, but it seems that I become all thumbs when trying to do the "under" front roll.

Any help would be most appreciated! :)

Hey there,
I'm guessing you mean a faux fringe for long hair that looks like a Bettie Page? This one is tough, I can do a pretty good one off to the side, but my hair is too fine to get a good one going all the way across. I finally broke down and got some hair rats and WOW! I had the full fringe in no time! I got a rat that had a thin foam foundation covered with synthetic hair that matched mine so if there isn't complete coverage, its no big deal. Without that, it always ends of thin and flimsy for me and uses a half a can of spray :) You just have to play with it. I use the thin end of a rat tail to slide the strays under the roll, it can be tricky but worth it. Everyone at work was oohing and aahing. I'll post pics when I get done with the semester.

Rachael

A-List Customer
after a lot of improvising and burnt fingers, I figured out how to do this with waist-length hair:

closeup3-3301.jpg

my real struggle is trying to get 'the look' without cutting.
for this look, I started out with dark foam rollers. I discarded the awful plastic bits and threaded two of them on a pipe cleaner. I then pulled what should be my bangs forward and caught the ends between the foam pieces. Then it was just a matter of keeping tension while I rolled it up to my forehead. The ends of the pipe cleaner wrapped up under and were secured by about a dozen bobby pins. I repeated the same for the side rolls, and the back is in a faux chignon held in place by a snood and more pins.

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have pictures of their hair after they used the 3 barrel iron? I'm contemplating getting one, but I already have a closet full of styling tools that didn't do what I wanted lol I've seen lots of comments, but no actual pictures (unless I'm looking in the wrong place, which is entirely likely).

My hair is very fine, somewhat thin, and I recently had it cut into a jaw-length bob, so I'm hoping the result would be 1930-ish style waves.

Nice hair, Rachel! The faux bangs look great!

roots66

One of the Regulars
mrswheats said:
Does anyone have pictures of their hair after they used the 3 barrel iron? I'm contemplating getting one, but I already have a closet full of styling tools that didn't do what I wanted lol I've seen lots of comments, but no actual pictures (unless I'm looking in the wrong place, which is entirely likely).

My hair is very fine, somewhat thin, and I recently had it cut into a jaw-length bob, so I'm hoping the result would be 1930-ish style waves.

Nice hair, Rachel! The faux bangs look great!

This video should give you a good idea of what the 3 barrel iron can produce--I'll leave the authenticity debate up to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rPMLQstFb8

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
mrswheats said:

This is how my hair used to turn out using a 3 barrel iron.
0007.jpg

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the picture, Kitsch! I really like it as another option for a bob. That's a very striking photo, by the way.

Roots66, thanks so much for the link, that really helped!

Thanks again ladies, you're the best!

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
more triple barrel goodness...

Ok, I've found 2 online that look good. Has anyone tried either of these?

Vidal Sassoon, on Amazon (around $24):

41GBQh68OeL._SS500_.jpg

Conair Infinity Deep Waver, also on Amazon and at Target ($34 - $39)

simg_t_o20032817892003281789jpg

These two irons have the deepest wells, which I'm hoping means more pronouned waves.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
oh man, why do I come in here?? :eusa_doh: Every time you gals post a new hair gadget I am coveting it! lol I just love hair stuff so trying anything new is a good idea to me! This waver does look quite nice and easy to use. I think by the looks of it, I might like it better than the regular triple wavers.

Although I should give mine a go again, I recently cut and majorly thinned out my hair so it is like a normal person's head of hair and I can do much more with it. I'll be on the look out for this... (like I really need another iron!):D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24