Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Automobile of the Day - April 2, 2008.

Mycroft Holmes

One of the Regulars
ford-gh-03-01-1935-997-a-thumb.jpg

"MODERN COMFORT AND MODERN BEAUTY"

Good Housekeeping; March 1935.

Click here to view a full-size readable image.

Flivver

Practically Family
The 1935 Ford is significant because it was one of the first cars to adopt new proportions that lowered the car and improved the ride. The '34 Chrysler and DeSoto Airflows did this first but were not commercial successes due to their startling (for the time) appearance.

The engine was moved forward on the chassis to allow the passenger compartment to be moved forward as well. This allowed the rear seat to move from over the rear axle to a position ahead of the axle. This significantly improved rear seat riding comfort and allowed the car to be lowered as well.

The downside of this re-proportioning was in the car's appearance. Moving the engine forward increased the front overhang and reduced the dash to front axle dimension giving the car a more stocky and less dynamic look. That's why, even today, the '34 Ford is more revered than the '35.

The price we pay for progress...

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
Flivver said:
The 1935 Ford is significant because it was one of the first cars to adopt new proportions that lowered the car and improved the ride. The '34 Chrysler and DeSoto Airflows did this first but were not commercial successes due to their startling (for the time) appearance.

The engine was moved forward on the chassis to allow the passenger compartment to be moved forward as well. This allowed the rear seat to move from over the rear axle to a position ahead of the axle. This significantly improved rear seat riding comfort and allowed the car to be lowered as well.

The downside of this re-proportioning was in the car's appearance. Moving the engine forward increased the front overhang and reduced the dash to front axle dimension giving the car a more stocky and less dynamic look. That's why, even today, the '34 Ford is more revered than the '35.

The price we pay for progress...
The 35 was a beautiful car, but nothing compares to a 34 v-8
34_1.jpg

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1935 was the changeover year that most manufactures' designs got a sweptback, rounder roofline that went on till about today.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Jake Gittes liked the '35 and I've always had a soft spot for it too - especially the roadsters when slightly lowered and fitted with one of George DuVall's streamlined "speedboat" windshields. Unfortunately, you rarely see '35s without '36 front sheetmetal fitted anymore because that's what the hot rodders like.

Interestingly, there seem to be a lot more 1935 advertisements around than any other year Ford.

-Dave

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
That sure is a nice 34 with the period correct radiator cap and outside rear view mirror - I expect they were both aftermarket accessories.

Ford certainly had a lot of body styles in the early 30's: 3 window coupe, 5 window coupe, coupe with rumble seat, convertible, roadster, phaeton, Tudoor, four door, pick up, sedan delivery, and probably a view others that I can't think of at the moment.

Cheers, Jim.

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
David Conwill said:
I think last count for 1932 was something like 52 possible variations. That includes commercial cars, but nothing coachbuilt, to my knowledge.

-Dave

WowZers - I knew there was a huge selection of body styles in 1932, but had no idea the number was anywhere near that large. I guess for the 33/34 models they reduced the selection a bit.

Do you know if in 32 there was a Standard and a DeLuxe like in the later 30's?

Oh, I just remembered there was a choice of either a 4 cylinder (Model B) or the new V8. Which provided even more variations for that model year.

Cheers, Jim.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
JimInSoCalif said:
Do you know if in 32 there was a Standard and a DeLuxe like in the later 30's?

Yes, that practice began with the Model A.

FYI, everyone knows that the 4-cyl '32 was called the Model B. Do you know what the V8 '32 was called? Model 18.

-Dave

Austerityaudio

New in Town
Fords

Nice Cars!
The UK Fords Followed suit of the US made fords, But they made them alot smaller, the 34 V8 became the Ford Model Y (8HP) and the 35 V8 was the Model C Delux (10HP) with bodies made by Briggs Motor Bodies. They have the style of the US fords but dont go like them. I learnt to Drive in a 35 "C" not many 23 year olds can say that!

http://www.fordyandcmodelregister.co.uk/pages/ModelIdentification.htm

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
I believe in the U.S. that the Model C was the 4 cylinder truck engine with a beefier bottom end than the 4 that was in the model A. If I am wrong, I bet David can correct me.

Speaking of learning to drive, I read that they had a bit of a problem with the latest James Bond movie which was back to using an Aston and the star, whose name everyone knows and I can't think of at the moment, didn't know how to drive a stick shift.

Cheers, Jim.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Austerityaudio said:
The UK Fords Followed suit of the US made fords, But they made them alot smaller, the 34 V8 became the Ford Model Y (8HP) and the 35 V8 was the Model C Delux (10HP) with bodies made by Briggs Motor Bodies. They have the style of the US fords but dont go like them.

Actually, the Model Y came before the U.S. Model 40. Supposedly Edsel Ford saw the drawings for the Model Y and decided that the U.S. model would be a scaled-up version of the U.K. design.

JimInSoCalif said:
I believe in the U.S. that the Model C was the 4 cylinder truck engine with a beefier bottom end than the 4 that was in the model A. If I am wrong, I bet David can correct me.

Better late than never, I suppose. There’s no “Model C”, although there is a later Model B crank that was often found in a Model B marked with a C on the head, and is often referred to as such. My memory is foggy on this point, but I believe the difference from a standard Model B crank is that it is counter weighted. My sources indicate that the counter weighted crank debuted across the board in 1933 4-cylinder models.

A little known fact is that the Model T engine remained in production until 1941, and the Model A and B engines (the B was essentially an improved A, and a large portion of the parts interchange), had a similar run as industrial engines and replacement parts. The “Diamond” replacement block for the A and B are sought after pieces to this day because of some engineering changes made after Ford dropped the four-cylinder option in 1934.

For ‘35 and ‘36 all one could get was the 21-stud V8, and then in ‘37 Ford introduced the 60hp V8 (“V8/60") which was the spiritual successor to the four. That engine limped along until 1941 when it was replaced in passenger cars with an excellent flathead six (over Henry’s objections), and in the truck line with a tractor-derived four-cylinder.

More than you wanted to know, eh?

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats