Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aviation Leathercraft Irvin v New Aero leather models

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
At these temperatures a leather jacket with just a wool or cotton liner will probably serve you much better. Or get a D-1 or B-6 and wear it with a t-shirt. An Irvin should be nearly unbearable at night and totally out of the question during the day, unless your fridge is large enough for you to get into it.

Exactly my thoughts!

I have owned a B3 for the past 6 or 7 years and have only been able to wear it a couple of times, living in London, where we get snow and freezing temperatures pretty much every winter!
To me a sheepskin jacket is unwearable in anything higher than -5c. I tried wearing it last year in 0c and i was a sweaty mess after walking 100m...

Unless you are very very VERY cold all the time, i doubt you will ever have the opportunity to wear it!

Edward

Bartender
Horses for courses; my B3 and Irvin get worn most of the Winter in London. Has been that way since 2008ish.

IXL

One Too Many
Last summer I underwent a lengthy open-heart surgery. One not uncommon result of this can be a complete change in ones ability to feel warm. The upside is that last winter I got to frequently wear the B-3 I've owned for four or five years. Prior, I couldn't stand to be in it unless I was just standing around in 10°F weather: walking around in it would almost cause heatstroke. But now that thing feels pretty good. Folks approach and make very positive comments concerning it's great looks (I like to think I'm helping out in that department a little bit), not realizing a "normal' person couldn't wear it much, or ever, around here.

The best upside of my "new normal:" the wife wants me, she actually pushes rather hard, to get plenty more jackets so I'll be comfortable. She really likes the two-tone Aero J106 and a G&B G-1, Vanson/Insurrection PLU-3, and a couple of Filson all-wool jackets!!

irvinsuit

Familiar Face
The ALC can be a bargain used, though, and I think the Aero will retain more of its new value. I'm not currently in the market, but eventually I fancy one of the CC models Aero are developing. Just have to decide if I can live with the yellow or order it plain!

Hi Edward, can you tell me more ? I would be very interested in a CC Irvin if the fleece was a darker brown than the current honey coloured fleeces.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
So Aero are working on a CC Irvin? That's great news and good on them for reproducing a flying jacket which has been largely forgotten or overlooked for so many years.

Really interested to see what it looks like.

Otter

One Too Many
They made a horrid Frankenjacket for Nigel Cabourn a few years back, I know Ken hated them, examples still float as round eBay at exorbitant prices. I think Sloane let it slip that they are now working on an authentic CC repro, I remember they did some refurbishment work for an owner, on here iirc. I agree that it would be nice to see one in a darker brown fleece.

Edward

Bartender
I know no more than that they're working on one - it was mentioned when I visited. They do have a very nice original in the showroom; late war, multi-panel. The Cabourn jackets were produced under previous management; Cabourn has now taken his business elsewhere. The impression I have is that Ken is driving Aero more towards historical stuff only. (the phrase "Nothing that looks like it was made after 1959" was used at the factory).

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
(the phrase "Nothing that looks like it was made after 1959" was used at the factory).

Not bad words to live by at all.

I really think Aero are completely on the right track. Their new offerings are simply wonderful.

I'm quite sold on Søren's new A-2, one of the nicest seal hides I've seen in awhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy