Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aviator Glasses Decision

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
Hey Guys,

I am looking to complete my USAAF pilot look with some 1940s Aviator glasses, not the modern ones. The glasses that actually have the "hooks" that actually go fully around your ears.

I found a pair on the Garcia aviation site, the same site that I want to buy my crusher cap from. I also found a couple on Amazon.

Which one do you think is more reliable/strong/durable, realistic, authentic looking,..etc

I am really leaning towards getting the Garcia Aviation glasses. They seem like they look better and are all around better..plus they have U.S Army Air Force written and the Army Air Force roundel on the box..but I want to hear what you guys have to say.

http://www.garciaaviation.com/cgi-l...cart_id=8524163.84251*QS3QX0&p_id=01136&xm=on

http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Lenses-...r_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1263262535&sr=1-1

univibe88

One Too Many
The American Optical glasses that MrBern linked to are very high quality glasses. I own some and I love them. The Randolph Aviators that Hemmingway Jones are also equally nice. You'll notice they look exactly the same because they both fulfill the same government contract. AO and Randolph are true military issue. However they are a 50's style. It sounds like you want more of tear drop lense.

The American Optical General would fit the bill: http://www.opticsplanet.net/ao-general-sunglasses-58mm-black.html

Here is a high quality option that is 100% period correct http://www.shuron.com/macarthur.htm

The Shurons are available in a true 12k gold frame and are quite expensive. They make the "Macarthur II" in a metal frame that can be had for less than $100.

I do notice that the links in our post are to rather inexpensive glasses. In all honesty, all <$20 glasses are pretty much the same. They are going to have plastic lenses, loose hinges, poor fit/finish. If that is your budget, and I can respect that, then just go for the ones that give you the look you want. I wouldn't think anything of the faux military markings on the boxes.

However, American Opticals and Randolphs are going to run you about $50-$100. You'll get glass lenses and an optometrist quality frame. They are actually a great value compared to the price of Ray Bans / Oakleys and would last a lifetime with proper care.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Ray Ban

Back in the late 80s my boss would buy originals WWII issue cable sunglass for next to nothing. He had a drawer full of broken ones, when a pare would brake, he just opened the drawer and pulled out the screwdriver, changed parts and away he would go! Whish now that I had learned from him.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Got these from e-bay last year. Royal Air Force 1940s though - but I like!:)

untitled.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Spitfire said:
Got these from e-bay last year. Royal Air Force 1940s though - but I like!:)

untitled.jpg

Nice buy! I have a similar pair also. I believe they were a issue item from the war period right up until..... the seventies, at least. I think mine are probably 70s issue. I don't wear sunglasses all that often (mostly I'm in prescription spectacles with a photochromic tint in the lenses), but on those rare Summer days when I'm outside all day and it's too bright even for the reactolites, I retreat into contacts and a pair of sunglasses. These are a good option for that. Depends on what look you're after, really - period civilian, or if you really want to look like a USAAF pilot. These RAF glasses were never issued to USAAF that I'm aware of, though (like Irvins on occasion)I'm sure some of them must have made it into American hands...

FWIW, these RAF glasses can still be bought new (I presume they must still be in production somewhere?) from www.silvermans.co.uk, though they're pricey there - about GBP65. You can generally find used examples on eBay for sub-GBP20.

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of the RAF specs as well, largely because teardrop aviators don't look good with a fedora, to me.

Also, the cable temples actually keep them in place, far better than the skull type.

Edward

Bartender
Cigarband said:
If you buy Optician quality frames, any Optician will be happy to put in Rx lenses.

I find this, subject to two things:

1] with plastic frames, some opticians such as the one I use will not fit lenses if they have been lensed already more than once (the plastic has to be heated to get the lenses in, and inevitably this means that the more often this is done, the more it weakens them). Not an issue for aviators typically, but worth bearing in mind for things like Ray Ban Wayfarers....

2] I have always been told by opticians that there is no point buying particularly expensive sunglasses such as Ray Bans (they do a nice aviator model) or other brands, as most of the value that you are paying for in relation to them is the quality of the lenses. If you're only going to be taking those out...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran