Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fyve_by_Fyve

New in Town
I recently finished painting this jacket. I've painted it to represent a P-47 Thunderbolt fighter pilot from the 53rd Fighter Squadron, 36th Fighter Group, 9th Air Force.

Now, I know . . . I probably should have painted up a Navy squadron because I believe this is technically a Navy G-1 jacket. However, I have seen these jackets worn in the ETO so it's not entirely incorrect.

I'm guessing that the jacket is actually from the 70's but I believe the construction is basically the same as that found in the 40's.

I think it makes for a pretty good impression & I'm pretty happy with my work. I've only painted three of these over the years but I think I'll be doing more in the future. They're fun to do!

I'm not the best artist so I use a combination of stencils cut on a Cricut as well as freehand. The patch was done a few years ago. I think I used the Cricut to draw the outline on the leather & then I filled it in by hand. Or, I may have done it freehand (which takes me a long time because I'm not great at it). Was gonna fill in the mission marks but I kind of like them as outlines. I use Angelus leather paints, which are pretty amazing.

The jacket is a 44". I had planned on selling it but it does fit me, albeit a bit tightly. So, I'm gonna keep it for awhile.
Photo Dec 28 2023, 2 10 12 PM.jpg
Photo Dec 28 2023, 2 10 44 PM.jpg
Photo Dec 22 2023, 8 15 52 PM.jpg
Photo Dec 23 2023, 4 17 59 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Photo Dec 28 2023, 11 41 58 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 28 2023, 11 41 58 AM.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 41
  • Photo Dec 28 2023, 10 34 23 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 28 2023, 10 34 23 AM.jpg
    728.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Photo Dec 28 2023, 10 34 24 AM (1).jpg
    Photo Dec 28 2023, 10 34 24 AM (1).jpg
    692.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Photo Dec 28 2023, 10 34 24 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 28 2023, 10 34 24 AM.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 28
  • Photo Dec 28 2023, 10 34 25 AM (1).jpg
    Photo Dec 28 2023, 10 34 25 AM (1).jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Photo Dec 28 2023, 10 34 25 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 28 2023, 10 34 25 AM.jpg
    948.3 KB · Views: 28

Fyve_by_Fyve

New in Town
I've found that the drop shading is essential to making the lettering on these jackets (literally) stand out.

The more I think about it though, the more I feel like I need to "fix" this jacket. I initially painted the patch a couple of years ago and had it sewn onto the jacket. Then I recently painted the nose art and the 9th AF patch. I didn't really put the proper research into the jacket before I did these things. If I had, I would have definitely made this a Navy / USMC jacket. Perhaps Korean war. Yes, as noted, it wouldn't have been compleeeetely unheard of to find one of these type jackets (M422a?) in the ETO. In fact, I found the pilot's photo that I put in the listing in "The Mighty Eighth: A History of The US 8th Army Air Force". Still, I'm really thinking now that I should probably redo the shoulder & squadron patches. I have an original CBI shoulder patch so maybe I could start by putting that over the 9th AF patch. Shame to cover up the work that I did, but honestly, it didn't take very long to paint. The nose art can stay as well as the mission marks. Probably have to move the squadron patch to the right side as well.

So, I've got some thinking to do. I know that 99% of the general public will have no idea about these details . . . but now that I do . . . I'm never gonna not think about it. Hmmm . . .

I also do think I'll end up selling this one as it is just a bit too tight on my shoulders. Will fit best on a 42" frame. I'm a 44-46".

Fyve_by_Fyve

New in Town
If anyone can ID the relative date of manufacture and manufacturer of this jacket I'd much appreciate it. There are no tags or other markings on it. It does have a good bit of age but is in great shape. Like I said, I'm thinking . . . 1970's - 1980's?

Also, is this goatskin? It is pebbled. Just curious how to tell the differences between goatskin, horsehide, cattle leather, etc.

Been watching this from Ward Carroll.

Learning a lot!

Last edited:

Dbtk44

New in Town
I recently finished painting this jacket. I've painted it to represent a P-47 Thunderbolt fighter pilot from the 53rd Fighter Squadron, 36th Fighter Group, 9th Air Force.

Now, I know . . . I probably should have painted up a Navy squadron because I believe this is technically a Navy G-1 jacket. However, I have seen these jackets worn in the ETO so it's not entirely incorrect.

I'm guessing that the jacket is actually from the 70's but I believe the construction is basically the same as that found in the 40's.

I think it makes for a pretty good impression & I'm pretty happy with my work. I've only painted three of these over the years but I think I'll be doing more in the future. They're fun to do!

I'm not the best artist so I use a combination of stencils cut on a Cricut as well as freehand. The patch was done a few years ago. I think I used the Cricut to draw the outline on the leather & then I filled it in by hand. Or, I may have done it freehand (which takes me a long time because I'm not great at it). Was gonna fill in the mission marks but I kind of like them as outlines. I use Angelus leather paints, which are pretty amazing.

The jacket is a 44". I had planned on selling it but it does fit me, albeit a bit tightly. So, I'm gonna keep it for awhile. View attachment 574603 View attachment 574604 View attachment 574609 View attachment 574610
REALLY NICE JOB!!! Looks great...I'd wear this in a hot second. Never thought about a G-1 in ETO dress, but I'm really diggin it! I like wearing my G-1s more than my A-2, just a better match for my use...gives me some inspiration!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner