Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aviator's Canvas Flight Jacket by Orvis

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Well, my opinion is, that I don't like badly/wrongly styled A-2 jackets.
I like cloth "A-2's" even less.
Sorry but that one does nothing for me at all and the leather trim just makes it even harder for me to like.

These "military style" leisure jackets, in my opinion, are in a kind of style- twilgiht zone; not close enough to call themselves authentic and at the same time, sacrificing any real style as a leisure jacket to meet that ill-conceived "military look".

But I don't like to be so negative, I must offer alternatives-

If you want a cloth flight type jacket, maybe try and find something more military authentic.

If I was looking for something "aviation", I would go for a (WWII)USN M-421(a), or a US Army/AAF M-41, (What Price Glory/At the Front, etc.)or a similar, more authentic repro. Both I have mentioned are inexpensive, lightweight cloth jackets and although they are repros of actual military garments, they were originally styled after leisure jackets of the era. Both jackets are "khaki" (lightweight twill and poplin respectively but the M-41 has a flannel type lining)and have the smart and useful features, of a "half belt/"shoulder pleats" back and also "expanding" armpit gussets.
These features enhance the utility of the garment by allowing more free arm articulation.
Maybe you don't want something SO military, though.

Have a look-
M-421(a):
http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=876

Some detail on this style but forget the artwork(Japanese/expensive).
http://www.rakuten.co.jp/old-goat/1815802/1882975/

US Army/AAF M-41 jacket:
http://www.atthefront.com/
You'll need to navigate to the M-41 jackets, in the "US/Uniforms" category.

Sorry.

B
T

Thanks for all the expert advice, BT. Now I have a great deal to ponder.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
GHQ1 said:
One pops up on a famous auction site . . .tanker badged . . bi-swing back . . .diamond elbow patches . . two patch pockets

WILLIS & GEIGER MILITARY M421A FLIGHT JACKET 44

:eek: Naughty, naughty! ...But, thanks for the tip.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Fletch said:
And a whole mess of embroidery on the back. That one'll go for cheap, I imagine, because the embroidery will be nest to impossible to remove without destroying the fabric.

You're right Fletch...unless you're an Imperial Potentate.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Wolfman, I've had my eye out for a similar jacket for some time, and have one of the Cooper cotton A-2s. The biggest problem is that the jacket has a bi-swing back, but the lining doesn't! You'll get sleeve creep like nobody's business.

I'm not crazy about the leather accents, but the weight is good for a spring/fall jacket. I had a tailor fix the lining, so now it has an expansion pleat down the middle of the lining, and that solved most of the problems. The fit is just not there, though, even so. I'd avoid them, and go for a better fit.

I'd be cautious about Jerry's M-421, too. I've got a number of his products, and they may be authentic, but the fit is generally poor. I don't wear any of his stuff for actual use, both due tot he fit and it would not stand up to that.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
Wolfman, I've had my eye out for a similar jacket for some time, and have one of the Cooper cotton A-2s. The biggest problem is that the jacket has a bi-swing back, but the lining doesn't! You'll get sleeve creep like nobody's business.

I'm not crazy about the leather accents, but the weight is good for a spring/fall jacket. I had a tailor fix the lining, so now it has an expansion pleat down the middle of the lining, and that solved most of the problems. The fit is just not there, though, even so. I'd avoid them, and go for a better fit.

I'd be cautious about Jerry's M-421, too. I've got a number of his products, and they may be authentic, but the fit is generally poor. I don't wear any of his stuff for actual use, both due tot he fit and it would not stand up to that.

Thanks for the info, Jack. I'm going to do more shopping around before I take the plunge on any of these jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass