Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aviator's Canvas Flight Jacket by Orvis

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
I kind of like the style of this Aviator's Canvas Flight Jacket by Orvis. Orvis claims the jacket is an authentic summer military flight jacket, "with some refinements."
90TXL8XB.jpg

Here is Orvis' description:
The military has always insisted on the best, most comfortable flight clothing for their aviators. And while the classic leather flight jacket you've seen on photos of historic pilots served high-altitude fliers well for many years, it was way too hot for summer flying. The solution? Pretty much the coat you see right here (with some refinements, of course). A peachskin-finished waxed pure cotton shell—renowned for water repellency—and a leather collar offer excellent weather resistance; an inverted-pleat back ensures unparalleled comfort whether you're confined to the cockpit or on the move. Five interior pockets, including one zip-secured pocket. Two roomy front bellows pockets with two hidden hand-warmer pockets. Rib-knit cuffs and waist. Canvas jacket in khaki. Pure cotton shell with genuine leather trim. Wipe clean. Imported.

Experts: Is there any truth to this?

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
Reminds me of the Avirex cotton A-2

I once had down to the leather collar and name tag . . . but it never fit right . . . and was too light/not windproof enough for my climate . . . . For that sale price of $150 I think I'd buy an Ebay Cooper leather A-2 (or two of them!) and run that (those) into the ground . .or you can get 3 Taylor Lynchburgs . . .

Willis & Geiger made some interesting cotton flight jackets in the 80's and 90's . . . their ventile version in OD and khaki, their $100 "crop duster" . . plus re-issues of their Bedford cloth NA-1 and poplin M-421A . . . plus you can find vintage M421's . .some with Felix patches . .

I think the Orvis one is OK but I'd dress it up with some patches/color . . otherwise it'd start to look like a Member's Only weekender duffer jacket . . (not that's there's anything wrong with that) . . .

And man . .I feel like I've been on this ride before with these imported jackets: Orvis, Eddie Bauer, W&G (Land's End), Filson .. . all great items that used to be made in the USA . . .but then followed the profit creep right offshore . . . . Filson's new offshore stuff bugs me the most . . . since it's so Orvis-esque . . . in description and absurd prices . . . e.g $600-700 for any of their generic run of the mill leather mall jackets ?. . .The "Halsey" comes to mind . . and all the distributors are cutting it 50% to get rid of it . . "Might As Well Have The Best Profit Margin With Offshore Made Goods"

Lastly Filson makes a pretty close copy of the WW2 tanker/flight jacket . .their BIG CREEK jacket . . .I just wish they would have been honest with the pattern and tried to make an authentic tanker . . .

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
GHQ1 said:
I think the Orvis one is OK but I'd dress it up with some patches/color . . otherwise it'd start to look like a Member's Only weekender duffer jacket . . (not that's there's anything wrong with that) . . .

I like that idea. I would think that replica WWII patches are fairly easy to come by. Treat it with some accelerated aging and it might turn out to be a nice odd jacket with khakis, etc.

How would the leather and waxed cotton stand up to accelerated aging? Any recommendations on how to do this?

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Now this is interesting, Hammacher Schlemmer has this, which looks identical to the Orvis...for a lot less.

Which is better? Which is more authentic?

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
Well you seem to have zeroed in on the cotton A-2

for your wants/needs and IMO opinion . . none are "authentic" other than trying to copy the details of an "A-2 flight jacket" . . When I troll my WW2 ref books for Pacific jackets . .I see leather, bush jackets, denim utilities, British aertex, P37 wool and about as many variants of Khaki Drill as you can imagine . . .

A search for cotton A-2's will pull up that Hammy Schlemmy version at other retailers . .Sporty's . .Cockpit . . .Mypilot . .for $20-30 less . . .

Presumably you've seen the other Orvis cotton "A-2" offering for $89
http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=54T3

Don't forget the Ralph Lauren offerings in the A-2 camp . . .I've seen his A-2 and M-41? variants . . .some done up colorfully "Tommy Bahama style" with WW2 themes . . . . somewhere here on the Lounge

As for the aging . . just wash & dry the thing several times . . that thin leather should crack and shrink . . . .and as for the waxed element . . .well . .I've got a pair of the Orvis 10th MTN trousers that were advertised as "waxed" . . .but really "Scotchguarded" was the word they were looking for . . . They weren't waxed in the "soaked in paraffin -- reproof me with a hairdryer" Filson or Barbour way of waxing . . .

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Wolfman- neither of those jackets are remotely authentic,
it's just the marketing attempting to convince us.

The second jacket, however, the Hammacher Schlemmer,
looks a little more like a flight jacket.

The first example is just TOO generic in appearance to even hint at an
aviation-related garment.

That was my opinion.

B
T

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
GHQ1 said:
Presumably you've seen the other Orvis cotton "A-2" offering for $89
http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=54T3.
This is actually the nicest such garment out there. Amphibious Cotton is a light poplin that's water resistant without being too clammy.

It also lacks the lame-looking leather trim. Still sized like a trashbag of course, but otherwise, pretty nice.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Fletch said:
What's Dry Finish Shelter Cloth? Can you use it as a lean-to in emergencies?
lol lol lol lol
Just in case you're serious, it's a medium-weight cotton twill that is available in a wax finish (water repellent) or a dry finish. "Shelter" cloth; that's just Filson hype, of course.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
The second jacket, however, the Hammacher Schlemmer,
looks a little more like a flight jacket.
Thanks, BT. What do you think of this one, The Cockpit "100 Mission" All Cotton A-2 Jacket?

5445.jpg

At least The Cockpit is up-front about authenticity, they say:
The Cockpit first introduced this jacket in 1986 for those who want the look of the original, but a lighter weight than leather for all season wear. This jacket has traditional A-2 styling in tightly woven cotton twill...​

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Wolfmanjack said:
Thanks, BT. What do you think of this one, The Cockpit "100 Mission" All Cotton A-2 Jacket?

Well, my opinion is, that I don't like badly/wrongly styled A-2 jackets.
I like cloth "A-2's" even less.
Sorry but that one does nothing for me at all and the leather trim just makes it even harder for me to like.

These "military style" leisure jackets, in my opinion, are in a kind of style- twilgiht zone; not close enough to call themselves authentic and at the same time, sacrificing any real style as a leisure jacket to meet that ill-conceived "military look".

But I don't like to be so negative, I must offer alternatives-

If you want a cloth flight type jacket, maybe try and find something more military authentic.

If I was looking for something "aviation", I would go for a (WWII)USN M-421(a), or a US Army/AAF M-41, (What Price Glory/At the Front, etc.)or a similar, more authentic repro. Both I have mentioned are inexpensive, lightweight cloth jackets and although they are repros of actual military garments, they were originally styled after leisure jackets of the era. Both jackets are "khaki" (lightweight twill and poplin respectively but the M-41 has a flannel type lining)and have the smart and useful features, of a "half belt/"shoulder pleats" back and also "expanding" armpit gussets.
These features enhance the utility of the garment by allowing more free arm articulation.
Maybe you don't want something SO military, though.

Have a look-
M-421(a):
http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=876

Some detail on this style but forget the artwork(Japanese/expensive).
http://www.rakuten.co.jp/old-goat/1815802/1882975/

US Army/AAF M-41 jacket:
http://www.atthefront.com/
You'll need to navigate to the M-41 jackets, in the "US/Uniforms" category.

Sorry.

B
T

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
Lo and behold!

Fletch said:
Willis & Geiger made a very nice M-421 in their famous bush poplin. I found mine on eBay (don't hold your breath, though; that was 3 years ago and I haven't seen one there since).

One pops up on a famous auction site . . .tanker badged . . bi-swing back . . .diamond elbow patches . . two patch pockets

WILLIS & GEIGER MILITARY M421A FLIGHT JACKET 44

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot