Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B&W Movie Fedoras

wcbrown

One of the Regulars
As you can see from my avatar, I/We (my lovely bride) are musicians. We decided to skip New Year's gigs a few year ago. We just
hang out at the "ranch" and do the N.Y. stuff". AMC aired the (edited) William Powell, Myrna Loy movies last evening.......let me tell you if you want a good source for ALL things fedora, you need to check these flics out. SO many wonderful hats, creases, pinchs, brims...well you get the idea. We watched the first 2 of the series but I was concentrating so much on the lids I lost track of the plots. What a great a source for ideas and info these "old" black & white movies are!

Last edited:

Fibber Mcgee

New in Town
I'm sure you meant William Powell not Dick Powell ( Richard Diamond /Phillip Marlowe ) . But yes , The Thin Man Movies are my favorite series of movies. Myrna Loy has always been my favorite actress ( I just got her autograph for Christmas ) and William Powell and Myrna Loy make the perfect on screen couple.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I have a feeling this will get moved into some movie hat thread... but I hope it doesn't

I've searched movie hat threads and didn't really find what I am looking for

anyway ... it being holiday time I recently watched "It's a Wonderful Life"

always loved that movie ... it is a really great movie for looking at hats and seeing different types of bashes and whatnot ... especially the scene where the towns people mob the bank in the rain looking to collect their money

I was hoping you could all chip in some movie recommendations where hats are plentiful ... or movies you have watched where you noticed some nice hats

preferably movies from the 30s, 40s, & 50s

not westerns or movies with cowboy hats ... I'm looking for fedora hats

I have been very much enjoying searching Netflix for old movies and looking at hats

check out these great lids and bashes

EstherWeis

Vendor
I was watching a who do you think you are episode a while ago.
Paused it for this one.

I've seen more old pictures of "family members" wearing amazing hats.
I do mostly watch the British episodes and I really enjoy it.
It's interesting for people who like overall history I think.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    474 KB · Views: 286

tommyK

One Too Many
If it ever makes the rounds again on TCM " Murder on a Bridle Path" from 1936 with James Gleason and Helen Broderick is a Hat lovers tour de force. If you like William Powell "The Kennel Murder Case" is another great one for hats.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
If it ever makes the rounds again on TCM " Murder on a Bridle Path" from 1936 with James Gleason and Helen Broderick is a Hat lovers tour de force. If you like William Powell "The Kennel Murder Case" is another great one for hats.

fantastic Tommy

thank you

putting those on my list

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
thanks for all the suggestions ... I'll be checking them all out for sure

I watched a movie last night called His Girl Friday (1940)

pretty cool movie ... not bad ... but great hats

Last edited:

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
We've been watching the Twilight Zone Marathon broadcast on Syfy over the last few days. Amazing display of hats. One episode that really caught my eye was "What You Need", displaying this great shark-gill bow.

View attachment 41283 View attachment 41284 View attachment 41285 View attachment 41286
Glad to see I'm not alone in noticing that same hat out of all the great clothing, cars, and such in all those episodes. There have been some other keen hats, however that one really jumped out to me. And how about those prices? 14 cups of coffee for $1.40 in "Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up"...golly.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
watched a movie called Laura (1944) the other night

great hats

I am quickly learning that any movie from the 1940s is going to have great hats ... I randomly pull something up on Netflix and great hats are everywhere.... aside from some period piece you pretty much cannot avoid hats in 1940s movies

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran