Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

b!wear cap size issue

deerock

New in Town
i got a cap from brett. very nice cap.
i emailed him before buying it saying i am 23 3/4 head size. he said XL will be just fine.
the hat is extremely tight. i measure the hat its 23 1/2. i email him and he seems to think i am not telling the truth and does not believe the hat is small and wants to charge me for return shipping and to ship another hat. his website says the hat will fit a head my size, i measured correctly multiple times and i even asked him and he confirmed but it wont fit.
have others had "customer service" issues with him? he seems like a nice guy and is responsive and i get he is running a business and has to be careful but he was not helpful at all.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I bought two B!Wear caps over a decade ago. As I'm a 7-1/8, they ended up being Mediums. But one of them fits like a 7, and the other fits like a 7-1/4. I wear both a lot... but neither fits quite right. I wish he'd do finer numeric sizes vs. just S-M-L-XL.

Anyway, my observation was that the sizing was inconsistent, at least on these Mediums back then. But they are very well-made caps for the price, and have held up great through plenty of wear.

deerock

New in Town
thanks doc. that helps. glad to know im not alone in this haha.

what other hat companies for newboy style have you liked?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Alas, I have no experience with other makers. I'm not a cap collector... all I needed was a brownish one and a blackish one to match my assorted jackets/coats. I've seen lots of discussions here about other vendors over the years, but I can't really recommend any myself.

I'm sure you'll hear from others who will!

My experience with cap sizing has been spotty. Even with bespoke sized caps the fit can be uneven at least in the price range of my purchases. I have used a hat jack to ease out the sizing and it works especially on a cap with a cloth sweat band.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
No experience here with B! wear caps.

Cap fitting: Tight with a cloth band - I have lightly spritzed the cap band area and used a hat jack to gently expand the cap band. Tight with leather band - I ease the hat jack bigger over a couple sessions and then make sue I condition the leather sweat. Both of these have gently eased a slightly tighter cap.

Much tighter cap - I have passed them on to more worthy homes.

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

RJR

Cap fitting: Tight with a cloth band - I have lightly prized the cap band area and used a hat jack to gently expand the cap band. Tight with leather band - I ease the hat jack bigger over a couple sessions and then make sue I condition the leather sweat. Both of these have gently eased a slightly tighter cap.

Best, Eric -
I use the same method.As an aside,I'm surprised at Brett's apparent attitude.I have several of his caps and have had no issues.

deerock

New in Town

Cap fitting: Tight with a cloth band - I have lightly spritzed the cap band area and used a hat jack to gently expand the cap band. Tight with leather band - I ease the hat jack bigger over a couple sessions and then make sue I condition the leather sweat. Both of these have gently eased a slightly tighter cap.

Best, Eric -
do you condition the leather band if its suede? if so what do you use?

Edward

Bartender
Never dealt directly with Bwear, so can't comment on that. For an eight panel, though, you can't go wrong with Hepville (in Germany, via etsy). If you like a slightly smaller, more 50s shape eight panel, the ones you'll findcon the Aero website are outstanding vfm.

deerock

New in Town
Never dealt directly with Bwear, so can't comment on that. For an eight panel, though, you can't go wrong with Hepville (in Germany, via etsy). If you like a slightly smaller, more 50s shape eight panel, the ones you'll findcon the Aero website are outstanding vfm.
those are nice the hepville ones...which aero website?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart