Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B15

ldmax

Familiar Face
Hi! I'm new here and currently own a US Authentic goatskin A2. I love the style of the A2, but also really like the B15 which followed it. The early heavy cotton B15s of 1944-45 were especially nice. I recently discovered that Aero makes an accurate looking reproduction B15. I was wondering if anyone here owns one or has at least seen one. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Aero's B-15 is a well-made jacket, but in this area I don't think their standard is up to that of their leather stuff-the main problem is the alpaca lining which isn't right-it's not 'furry' enough. Buzz Rickson's cloth jackets are superb, if expensive-your best bet in the U.S. is H.P.A.-

http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/buzzrlanding_2.php

I've not seen their WWII B-15 but I have their nylon 1945 pattern and it's terrific. Alternatively I've heard nothing but good things said about Eastman's B-10, if you like those-I think HPA also sell them.

MB-17

ldmax

Familiar Face
Thanks for the reply. I see Buzz Rickson makes almost every variant of the B15! They indeed look like gorgeous jackets. I like the exposed alpaca of the early jackets, but that blue B15C is sweet too. It will be hard to decide. Does anyone happen to know if the sleeves are lined with alpaca or just the body?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
B10's and B15's by repro makers...

Both models, the earliest B10 and the later B15 have the alpaca lining all the way through (body and arms). Depending on the repro maker, some are itchier than others, as alpaca being a wool fibre, can react to the skin.

The first pic (below) is of the B10 (note the buttoned pocket config) and that's by Buzz Rickson (pic taken at St Mere Eglise Museum, Normandy, where the 82nd Airborne landed behind Nme lines to help secure a land pocket for the beach landings to move forward to.
The second is the B15 (with angled slit pockets, snap fastening and pen holder patch on the sleeve) and is an original.
The third is the Aero B10 (sorry, I didn't have one of their B15 to show).

NORMANDY-BEACHES044.jpg

ForumB152.jpg

B-10pics001.jpg

ldmax

Familiar Face
Thanks for the info guys. Going to be hard to decide between the B15, B15B, and B15C. I like the shade of green that Aero uses on their cotton B15's. But the inpeccable detail of the Rickson models is calling my name - despite the higher price. Decisions, decisions!

greyhound68

A-List Customer
I have a B-15C and B-15D and a Ma-1 from Buzz. They are the best and stand up well against my original B-15D and Ma-1. You cannot go wrong with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael