Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B3 Jacket issues

Mountain Pilot

New in Town
U.S. Authentic B-3...first winter with it.

Wonderful warmth! The shinny finish is rubbing off though on under arms and back. Any way to replace it? or just let it happen? Also, I have a nametag sewn in he correct postion, but does anyone know of any examples of Fighter/Bomber Squadron/Group patches on B-3s'? I don't want to over-state the jacket but wondered if B-3s' were had patches, given the tearable nature of the sheepskin.

Thanks...

John Lever

One Too Many
If you read Sweetings ' Combat Clothing ' he describes how the sheepskin was factory coated by the ' Corseal process' to make it waterproof, oil and dirt proof. This coating was a acrylic base coat usually seal brown, followed by a cellulose clear top coat this gave the shine.
The 'in theatre' repair is also described very clearly from the original issued document [ a photocopy] right down to the ' operator will not smoke ' while spraying petroleum products ! This field fix is different from the factory finish and jackets often became very stiff as a result.
I have sheepskins from all the major manufacturers listed by others earlier in the thread. I would agree that the Lost Worlds [LW] coating seems different to the others in that it looks less like a top coat than the skin itself which has been impregnated with acrylic. This layer has creased but not cracked. My Real McCoys jackets have flaked in some areas on 10 year old plus jackets.
If a jacket flaked in the first year I would consider this to be substandard. After a couple of years I don't think this would bother me as the original spec. was probably never designed to last more than a few years. Of all the originals made which would be thousands and thousands only a small percentage survive today and these are the best ones or ones which saw little wear in the war. And can't be regarded as representative. The rest disintegrated decades ago.

Ialocin85

New in Town
What about a Eastman B3??

BellyTank said:
If you read the B-3 blurb on the Lost Worlds site, he says that the polyacrylate lacquer coating was a field/depot fix, and that if your B-3 (non LW) is flakey, it's because the sheepskin wasn't tanned correctly- his B-3s apparently don't have the "lacquer", just the natural tanned, dyed finish- which looks really good if you look at the very used example of his B-3 on the site. But I've read elsewhere and it's documented that the lacquer was an original finish for the jacket...
to protect against water, aviation fuel, oil, etc. So it's a tough one.
But yep, most seem to flake a bit, apart from Lost Worlds ones of course, which do look pretty darn good. I guess the "crackly" nature of the sheepskin is just the natural wear and wrinkling of the sheep' here.
See for yourselves-

http://www.lostworldsinc.com/B-3SheepskinFlightJacket.htm

BT.
Hey,
Im down to a lost world or a eastman B3. Do you think the eastman will start to flake?
I like the design of the eastman, cuz it looks very much like the one used in a scene in 'Band of Brothers',

Captain Sobel in episode 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVCTTuzj8ys

The leather on this one looks a bit different from the eastman...but the looks is spot on. I might be wrong, maybe it is a eastman?

Which one would you have picked. I like them both, but i want best quality :)

Nic

Blueworm

New in Town
Go for the Eastman I've had mine 2 years, and it has not flaked. In fact it is still very crisp to the touch.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I made my B-3 from sheepskin bought from a market stall for 10 GBP, dyed it with shoe dye, made up my own Korseal-type coating and that hasn't flaked either...

John Lever

One Too Many
Ialocin85 said:
Hey,
Im down to a lost world or a eastman B3. Do you think the eastman will start to flake?
I like the design of the eastman, cuz it looks very much like the one used in a scene in 'Band of Brothers',

Captain Sobel in episode 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVCTTuzj8ys

The leather on this one looks a bit different from the eastman...but the looks is spot on. I might be wrong, maybe it is a eastman?

Which one would you have picked. I like them both, but i want best quality :)

Nic
BoB jackets were made by Real McCoys New Zealand.
Eastman are more wearable that LW and issues regarding flaking are usually associated with quite old jackets when they had a problem with a large batch of skins that was not plated correctly. [ The acrylic is sprayed on then ironed in.]

Ialocin85

New in Town
Sobel's BoB B3

John Lever said:
BoB jackets were made by Real McCoys New Zealand.
Eastman are more wearable that LW and issues regarding flaking are usually associated with quite old jackets when they had a problem with a large batch of skins that was not plated correctly. [ The acrylic is sprayed on then ironed in.]

thank you Sir. I now finaly know what jacket to order! :)

But! :p

Is it the monotone Version im after????(no pics on their website..??) It is the monotone used in Bob right? The corresponding Eastman, is the broken finish 'seal brown'
I must be sure, before i order :)

thank you so far

Nic

alfyman

One of the Regulars
SpykiE said:
Thanks for the reply Bellytank. To anwser your question, yes, it is on the outside of the jacket (on the actual skin) that the laquer coating has started flaking a little bit. Like I said though, it's not really bad and it's not even noticeable unless you get real up close to look. I purchased the jacket through US Authentic (flightjacket.com) whom seem to have a very good reputation which I researched heavily before purchasing the jacket. I have to send the jacket back to them in the spring to have the waist down-sized as it is, so I'm sure it will be no problem to have anything repaired on the jacket should the flaking worsen. Only time will tell, but the owner of US Authentic, Mr Dover, and the handler of all the orders is a very nice gentlemen and definitely stands behind his products, so I'm not totally worried. I'm just a little concerned as I would like to be able to enjoy this jacket for years to come.

Brad
I had this similar problem, but I started using a Leather Cream primarily for leather Boots to make the leather stronger on the shell, it seems to help, My Jacket feels smoother and stronger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters