Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B3 Jackets Question: Aero vs. Eastman thickness, warmth

Edward

Bartender
I would like to have a B-3, but from what everyone says, it would be too warm for most of our winter days and nights. Common daytime temps are upper 30s to lower 40s. Night time temps are commonly upper teens to mid twenties. We occasionally get down to zero and below, but it doesn't stay there long.

So, what do you think, would I get any wear out of it?

Really depends on your own constitution, I think - I would, in those temperatures, but others run hotter than me...

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks, guys. As my wife says, I am easily chilled, so I will give it consideration. Unfortunately, my wife says, "No more leather jackets; 15 of them is enough. We are simply out of room for anymore coats or jackets." In fact when I asked her to take the picture, she said, "I hope you are selling it."

And she is right about being out of room. I guess I could sell one, but I don't like to sell anything, especially one of my leather jackets or peacoats (also 15 of them).

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd love a B-3 (ELC 50 cal), I run too hot is the problem & have addressed the issue with an ELC D-1, that shorter shearling suits me in the UK climes. Extreme temps for here see an RAF sweater underneath :)

Peacoat

Bartender
I'd love a B-3 (ELC 50 cal), I run too hot is the problem & have addressed the issue with an ELC D-1, that shorter shearling suits me in the UK climes. Extreme temps for here see an RAF sweater underneath :)
In the past I have looked into the D-1, and that would probably fit better with my climate. But if I decide to go that route, there really is no reason to do so as I already have a very similar jacket in the Aero Thunder Bay.

I guess here, want is outweighed by need. I just don't need a D-1.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I tried on the 50 Cal B-3 & it felt great from the get go..oh why can't the UK be colder? I even started saving for it, eventually accepting it would be a wardrobe queen and buying a sports exhaust for my Bike instead. Sold my Irvin a few months back as the D-1 made that redundant. Decided that I've got classic nylon cover when it gets cold enough over here to wear a B-3 in the form of my N-2A & early N-2B :)

Shin

Familiar Face
I tried on the 50 Cal B-3 & it felt great from the get go..oh why can't the UK be colder? I even started saving for it, eventually accepting it would be a wardrobe queen and buying a sports exhaust for my Bike instead. Sold my Irvin a few months back as the D-1 made that redundant. Decided that I've got classic nylon cover when it gets cold enough over here to wear a B-3 in the form of my N-2A & early N-2B :)

Hmm strange. I asked Holly from Aero and she swore the B3 is perfect for Scottish weather haha.

Jejupe

Practically Family
I got my Eastman 50 cal B3 today. I think it's absolutely fabulous! The shearling is thinner than Aero's B6 thickness and it is very easy to wear. Perfect for me but maybe not for someone who is looking for maximum warmth.

ps. the timeworn aging is also brilliant! Very subtle and real looking.

Shin

Familiar Face
I got my Eastman 50 cal B3 today. I think it's absolutely fabulous! The shearling is thinner than Aero's B6 thickness and it is very easy to wear. Perfect for me but maybe not for someone who is looking for maximum warmth.

ps. the timeworn aging is also brilliant! Very subtle and real looking.

First, congratulations! You mentioned you lived in Finland, aren't you worried that it might get even colder in January? Dop you think the Eastman is enough for that kind of weather where you live?
Also, what is your height and what jacket size did you order? How does it fit?

Jejupe

Practically Family
First, congratulations! You mentioned you lived in Finland, aren't you worried that it might get even colder in January? Dop you think the Eastman is enough for that kind of weather where you live?
Also, what is your height and what jacket size did you order? How does it fit?

Thanks! I'm not worried, because I know that when it gets really cold I must anyway layer my clothing. Wool sweater under this B3 will be good for me until -15 C or so. The size is 48L according to seller (this is strange size as Eastman doesn't mention anything about long sizes on their webpage) I'm 6'2" (or 187 cm to be exact) with 49" chest and it fits me excellently!

Shin

Familiar Face
Thanks! I'm not worried, because I know that when it gets really cold I must anyway layer my clothing. Wool sweater under this B3 will be good for me until -15 C or so. The size is 48L according to seller (this is strange size as Eastman doesn't mention anything about long sizes on their webpage) I'm 6'2" (or 187 cm to be exact) with 49" chest and it fits me excellently!

What about the length of the jacket? Isn't it a bit long. I am 188 cm myself and my leather jackets are usually in the range of 60cm to 63 cm. The b3 in size 38 is already 61 cm without the fur, I believe. Something like size 48L would have to be like 70 cm. Do you feel it's long? What about the sleeves? Where does it reach you?

Jejupe

Practically Family
What about the length of the jacket? Isn't it a bit long. I am 188 cm myself and my leather jackets are usually in the range of 60cm to 63 cm. The b3 in size 38 is already 61 cm without the fur, I believe. Something like size 48L would have to be like 70 cm. Do you feel it's long? What about the sleeves? Where does it reach you?

I find the fit and length to be very much to my liking.

9511deb51a356e55329f7ebde28785b0.jpg

6d1a361f91c72a07eabe855b9350c028.jpg

Jejupe

Practically Family
I haven’t had many shearlings, this only my third, but this is the first one that felt immediately comfortable and easy to wear. My Cockpit USA Irvin and Aero ANJ-4 (B6 thickness) have initially felt like a fur fortresses that make me look and feel like a Sumo wrestler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner