Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B6 lacquer coating

Grinder

New in Town
Hi Everyone,

Recently acquired an Aero B-6 and was wondering what the deal with the lacquer coating is?

I understand that wartime versions would crackle and grain over time leading to a "crusty" finish. I take it that's also true of the Aero repros but over what time scale?

I've had mine a few weeks now and its showing a bit on the right shoulder and on the inside of the cuffs from rubbing against the zips.

Can it be restored easily and if so what's best - spray on plaster, hairspray or is there a specific product?

Comments from purists more than accepted :D

Cheers,
G

JanSolo

Practically Family
Leave it as it is! If you really need to restore a certain area buy some dull brown (epoxy based) spray paint. It has to be epoxy based because it needs to stay flexible. Colour RAL 8027 works for some jackets just fine. I guess that's what they are actually using when they are dying the sheepskins these days. Stay away from hairspray or plaster.... you must be crazy ;)

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hi Grinder,

I own an Aero B6 too. Mine also show some wear after a few month. Keep it as it is. That the way these jacket brake in and what, for me, make them nicer. After a time they will look like a jacket that was used in cockpit of a P51.:cool:

Ahoi

Olli

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou