Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B7 Jacket?

scottmcl

New in Town
Are these really reproductions of jackets worn during the war? I can't find much info.

http://www.uswings.com/b-3.asp

alphaB7_DETAIL.jpg

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Close but no cigar

Original B-7 jackets were made from unfinished sheepskin - the outer surface of the jacket was white. The thickness of the shearling inside was likely somewhere between 3/4 and 7/8 inches thick.

The "repro" shown looks a little skimpy in the fleece department - wrong color too.

Noel

Mike K.

One Too Many
It's still about 9000 degrees here in south Florida, but I am going to resurrect this old thread for discussion since autumn is upon us and I have been dreaming about colder & snowier climates.

This "repro" military type B-7 parka is currently sold by a number of different retailers. Although many Fedora Loungers can attest that this is not an accurate B-7 reproduction, it remains a very attractive parka. Given the sheepskin construction, cowhide trim/reinforcements, and coyote fur hood, it would also appear to be quite functional for cold weather. Being an explorer-type myself, this parka just seems to conjure images of Peary, Shackleton, wooden snowshoes, and crates of polar expedition supplies.

Just wondering if anyone around here as seen or owned one of these parkas. If so, your reviews and comments would be most welcome.

alex_campshot.jpg
302582.jpg

Edward

Bartender
While not accurate, the jacket in the OP being all-brown would at least have a practical benefit. I may be wrong, of course, but it would seem to me that the un-dyed, white colour sheepskin would be a difficult thing to keep clean?

Were I to be in the market for a stylish jacket to wear skiing, I think a B7 would be fairly high up the list!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Who wants a sparkling clean leather jacket anyhow?!

Unless it is some sort of dress apparel, a leather jacket should look well-loved and lived in...faded and scuffed here & there, a bit dirty in places, and broken in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24