Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back to the Bones: Restoring 50's Homes.

My now elderly folks live in a 1950-something house. Nice little two-bedroom place, maybe 1,200 square feet, with one bathroom (as was typical then), laundry behind bifold doors in the kitchen, raised fireplace hearth on a Roman brick wall, real wood veneer paneling (as contrasted with that fugly stuff with the vertical grooves that was used extensively in the '60s and '70s),"open" floor plan (no walls separate the kitchen from the dining and living areas), etc., etc. Real nice little crib.

It had the original wall-mounted oven and flush mounted cooktop when they moved in, maybe a dozen years ago. They've since had to replace both. I was kinda sorry to hear that, as I thought the original stuff was cool. Mom says she doesn't miss it one little bit.

I've bent her ear repeatedly about avoiding anything that might substantially detract from the house's essential 1950s-ness. Alas, my sermonizing usually falls on deaf ears. A few years ago she replaced the wall-to-wall carpeting with faux-wood laminate. It's not all that bad, you know, but to me it looks like what it is, which is fake wood. I argued that while that laminate stuff is much less expensive initially than solid wood flooring, it is false economy in the long run because it will wear out eventually, and when that day comes you can't refinish it, as you could real wood. She replied that when that day comes she will have long since shuffled off to the Great 1950s Rambler in the Sky. And besides, she said, the writing is on the wall. Many of the single family residences in her neighborhood have already been demolished and replaced by condo structures (she lives in a mountain resort community), and that's what will almost certainly happen to her place as well.

She's right, of course, much as it pains me to acknowledge it.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
AtomicEraTom,

We flip houses, and we always retain as much of the original charm of the homes, as possible. Some complain about things being 'dated' but luckily, with most homes around here being prewar, the old fashioned woodwork and such is now seen as an attribute, more than anything.

That's cool! There's even a TV show called 'House Flippers' I think in Salt Lake City that's along the same lines as Tom Villa. I'd get a kick out of doing something like that. The problems you guys find and the creative solutions are great. In one show they found a guy still living in a repossessed place they bought and he said he didn't have the money to move his stuff out, he was broke. The cops came. Ultimately, and after some serious discussion, they bought all the guys appliances from him for $3K or $4K which made it possible for him to empty the house and move on and they got to work. I really admired their mature solution to the problem that didn't involve any shouting or threats or nastiness. They said they weren't interested in hurting anybody, they just wanted to get the job done so they could get the house sold. Good on them. Really good guys!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
If I could find an affordable 1950s house -- IF, I say -- the only change I'd want to make (if it didn't have it) is air-conditioning. Sure, I guess, central air would involve tearing out a lot of stuff and putting in duct work. But nobody in his right mind in this awful climate does without A/C. (Window units would be fine, as long as the electrical wiring could stand up to it.)

I'd love a place with real wood.

Hamlet

New in Town
I actually like pink bathrooms, but don't think one would be appropriate in the home of this single 22 year old male lol

Have an early '50s pre-fab box with the original pink tiled bathroom. I'm single and my pockets jingle. I noticed the color for about 34 seconds when looking at the house. I think only one friend has commented on the color in the last 7 yrs... It's a gift of the male species to ignore stuff.

I've never heard of that show; sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out!

That's cool! There's even a TV show called 'House Flippers' I think in Salt Lake City that's along the same lines as Tom Villa. I'd get a kick out of doing something like that. The problems you guys find and the creative solutions are great. In one show they found a guy still living in a repossessed place they bought and he said he didn't have the money to move his stuff out, he was broke. The cops came. Ultimately, and after some serious discussion, they bought all the guys appliances from him for $3K or $4K which made it possible for him to empty the house and move on and they got to work. I really admired their mature solution to the problem that didn't involve any shouting or threats or nastiness. They said they weren't interested in hurting anybody, they just wanted to get the job done so they could get the house sold. Good on them. Really good guys!

Sounds like a nice place! An original pink bathroom is hard to come by, these days. Lost so many of them in remodels. If I had one, my friends would never let me live it down haha!

Have an early '50s pre-fab box with the original pink tiled bathroom. I'm single and my pockets jingle. I noticed the color for about 34 seconds when looking at the house. I think only one friend has commented on the color in the last 7 yrs... It's a gift of the male species to ignore stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112