Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad timing on movie releases:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I was talking to Sugi the owner of the Spectrum Theatre (www.Spectrum8.com) the other day about the new Tarrantino flick "Django Unchained" and she thought even though she thinks the movie is at least as good as "Inglorious Basterds" that it won't do as well. I asked why not? "Bad Timing" she said. She went on to explain that she thinks he aftermath of the Ct. School massacre will put people off violence in film for a bit. Combine that with a Christmas release and she just might be right. I remember the Director and Producer of the better than average var/crime flick "Dead Presidents" bemoaning the fact that he had the interminable bad luck of having his film released the same week as the O.J. Simpson verdict. Bad timing can kill an otherwise decent/great film. Anyone have any other examples.

Worf

We saw Django tonight at Todd-AO. I take back everything I thought I'd think about it after reading reviews and seeing trailers. It's fantastic. Christoph Waltz is absolutely brilliant. I think even better than Basterds. Ecen at three hours, I had no trouble sitting through it all. Amazing Wyoming scenery and interesting music. The shootouts are violent and bloody as hell. Over the top, and probably the only thing that I'd say doesn't add to the movie for me.
If you like QT's work, you'll love this. The whole cast is excellent, including Foxx.
Bad luck, but the timing I think won't Impact it much. Gotta say, the anti-Django crowd did a good job of making this movie sound like a POS. It's not. I think it's better than Basterds, and I loved that movie. I recommend if you like QT. going back tomorrow. Seeing it in the studio where they mixed the sound certainly helps, but I don't think I'd like it any less at a regular theater.

JonnyO

A-List Customer
I read an article the other day that Gangster Squad's release date was held off after the Colorado movie theater shooting because of a shootout scene in the movie that occurs in a theater. The hold off was to let the dust settle on the unfortunate incident and they had to reshoot footage because they edited out the shootout scene.

DiverAdam

Familiar Face
From what I have seen research on; When Halloween falls on a Friday movies that premiere that day get a lot less attention and usually fall way short of expected returns

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the word on Django Butte. I really miss you in the Jackets room, but I'll takes ya where I can finds ya! I had to defend the movie myself but mostly from folks that were "offended" at the "I get to kill White Folks" line. I won't go into that again now you can search my posts to find it. Have a gread Holiday season buddy.

Worf

Thanks for the word on Django Butte. I really miss you in the Jackets room, but I'll takes ya where I can finds ya! I had to defend the movie myself but mostly from folks that were "offended" at the "I get to kill White Folks" line. I won't go into that again now you can search my posts to find it. Have a gread Holiday season buddy.Worf
Hey Worf, I plead guilty to falling for the crap about this movie and the line. Like I stated, the negative press re this movie was very successful. I saw it again tonight and took our son and his GF. We all loved it. That's six hours of Django in two days. Liked it even more tonight as I picked up some of the dialog I missed yesterday. I highly recommend this flick. I contributed to that thread, and like I said, I was doped and feel stupid. BTW, the women in this film are all amazingly beautiful. The men, well... ;) Merry Christmas Worf. BTW, If you ever want to chat, you have my email. I'm going to have to call it a day on TFL. I wish everyone here a wonderful 2013. I enjoyed my stay here.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR