Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Balmoral Boots

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Fastuni, i think the black pair are 40s, not sure about the brown.

Rudie, i don't think the Aero boots are too bad. i've seen some British derby boots from the 20s-40s which are similar.
the ones you bought have a much more exaggerated elegant last shape, but i don't think Aero would have been looking at a similar boot. they were probably looking at the type you see in Kays catalogue from the mid 20s-mid 50s, which are a more 'average' shape, and were an everyday 'knockabout' boot. i agree the ankle could have been narrowed more though.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
since the lasts would have to be created especially for this Edwardian style boot anyway, they could also be made as the earlier three-piece last.

Maybe one of the factories still has old style lasts sitting in the storerooms waiting to be reused. Might be worth asking around.

I know that Joseph Cheaney cleared out most of their lasts, they had a shed full of them (relatively modern wooden ones). I got a couple from there but didn't want to go in and dig around since they told me the shed was full of rats.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
1926_russian_zps856b6e1d.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i wish ! caption said Russian, 1926.

this boot by Grenson / 'Foot the Coacher' is getting there shape-wise:

Grenson_foot_the_coacher_zps850e1225.jpg

edit: oh, they've already been mentioned on page 28 of this thread..... sold out anyway. [huh]

Last edited:

Papperskatt

Practically Family
Alfred Sargent:

AS_miller_zps1f0d994e.jpg

Justin Fitzpatrick:

J_Fitzpatrick_zps2a68135d.jpg

Gaziano & Girling:

GampG_zps572860a4.jpg

Edward Green:

Edward_Green_shannon_zpscb6427f7.jpg

Kanpekina:
(this looks identical to the boot below so i'm wondering if it's a different line, same brand)

Kanpekina_zps18c88d76.png

Perfetto:

Perfetto_zps7536b252.jpeg

if anyone has more profile shots of modern RTW (or MTM but not full bespoke) balmorals please post, but dead on profile shots please, to compare the rear ankle shape.
i'd say Justin Fitzpatrick is currently in the lead as the boot with the most inward curved ankle.

Carmina:

f02oeb.jpg

Meermin:

30j7mm8.jpg

Herring Shoes:

zkfupt.jpg

Allen Edmonds:

5cn7o9.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice new pics. The herring shoes have good profile but I prefer captoes and the brogueing of the Carmina and Meermin.
The Meermin preorder thingy has a better price than I expected actually. Hm...

Papperskatt

Practically Family
Herring also have another model that I quite like: the Moriarty. (the other one that I posted are called Holmes II) Both models are made by Alfred Sargent.

Herring-Herring%20Moriarty-Pine%20and%20Milkshake-8011-4317-1_med.jpg

I'd also prefer leather soles on the Meermin, but rubber soles are on the other hand sometimes a necessity at least where I live. I've wanted a pair of shoes from Meermin for some years now, apparently they are good value for money.

BTW, I'm attending a event with the owner of Meermin on the 20th of September, is there anything that you guys want me to ask him?

EDIT: The owners of bespoke shoemakers Vass, and Maftei are also going to be there.

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i like the colour combo of those Moriarty's. not keen on the wing tip.

i've got the Jeffrey West balmorals i posted here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?19157-Balmoral-Boots&p=1671970&viewfull=1#post1671970
they're not the perfect balmoral, but will do until i can afford perfect.

BTW, I'm attending a event with the owner of Meermin on the 20th of September, is there anything that you guys want me to ask him?

you could ask him if he could reproduce this for under £500:

1926_russian_zps856b6e1d.jpg

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Herring also have another model that I quite like: the Moriarty. (the other one that I posted are called Holmes II) Both models are made by Alfred Sargent.

Herring-Herring%20Moriarty-Pine%20and%20Milkshake-8011-4317-1_med.jpg

I'd also prefer leather soles on the Meermin, but rubber soles are on the other hand sometimes a necessity at least where I live. I've wanted a pair of shoes from Meermin for some years now, apparently they are good value for money.

EDIT: The owners of bespoke shoemakers Vass and Maftei are also going to be there.

The boots from Herring, Moriarty, not only seem to be very sharply styled, they are also one of the lesser priced of the group shown so far. I would say the best deal price wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails