Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber Shops

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
GWD said:
Today I am a man! It took almost forty-one years but it finally happened.

I've been considering the purchase of a straight edged razor and all the paraphernalia that purchase requires. So to true to my modus operandi I've been doing my exhaustive research. I made an appointment @ Hawleywood's Barber Shop
in beautiful Costa Mesa, CA for 4:00pm sharp this afternoon.

I walked into the shop and was instantly mesmerized by all of the cool "old school" stuff on the walls, old time Rock and Roll, the old world barber shop chairs and the smell of pomade, aftershave and beer! That's right BEER! While sitting in the shop waiting my turn, Donnie Hawley(The Owner of this fine establishment) offers me a Pabst Blue Ribbon, not my favorite of beers but what the hell it's BEER and it's free! So I'm sipping my beer reading STUFF magazine when I notice a guy who walks into the door, an old co-worker of mine that I haven't seen in 5 years! What are the chances? So he sits down and we catch up on old times for about 5 minutes and then it's time for my shave.

First things first, the warm towel, I was expecting a HOT towel, it was almost luke warm, my first expectation was a bit of a let down. Next the shave, again my expectations were that the razor was going to be so sharp that I was barely going to feel the razor glide across my face. I felt it many times. I've got to tell you, this is absolutely the closest shave I've ever had!

I'm definitely going to invest in straight razor soon.

111544883_efe002ba3b.jpg

The barbershop shave is one of the great pleasures in life, however, you are not really a man until you go into the barber's back room for a tattoo.

Brett McKay

New in Town
I went for my first barber shop shave about a month ago. It was like a facial, but manly. According to the barber, he used what was called the Bellagio recipe. Started off with a nice relaxing hot towel. Then a lemon cream exfoliate, followed by more hot towels to soften the beard, followed by a cocobutter application to get the beard nice and soft, followed by another hot towel. Then came the shave with a warm lather and a straight edge razor. Nothing reminds you're alive like letting another man put razor sharp cold piece of steel to your neck.

After the shave, I was wiped down with more hot towels, and was lathered down with a eucalyptus finishing cream.

The hot towels plus the creams were so relaxing that I almost fell asleep.

Cost me $15 plus tip. Can't wait to go back.

GWD

One Too Many
Brett McKay said:
I went for my first barber shop shave about a month ago. It was like a facial, but manly. According to the barber, he used what was called the Bellagio recipe. Started off with a nice relaxing hot towel. Then a lemon cream exfoliate, followed by more hot towels to soften the beard, followed by a cocobutter application to get the beard nice and soft, followed by another hot towel. Then came the shave with a warm lather and a straight edge razor. Nothing reminds you're alive like letting another man put razor sharp cold piece of steel to your neck.

After the shave, I was wiped down with more hot towels, and was lathered down with a eucalyptus finishing cream.

The hot towels plus the creams were so relaxing that I almost fell asleep.

Cost me $15 plus tip. Can't wait to go back.

$15.00! Wow! That's awesome! I'm moving to Oklahoma!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kabuto said:
Clean being the operative word here. I wouldn't get a shave from a place that wipes its straightrazors in alcohol. They should have an autoclave. There have been hepatitis B and C cases traced to barbershop shaves.

For the last decade or more, they're required by federal law to use disposable bladed straight razors, with a new blade for each customer. The scales ("case" or "handle" on a straight razor) can't take an autoclave. Since it's a new blade each shave, I don't know if they even strop. I've wondered, though, if you could bring your own razor in, would they use it and/or help teach someone to use it properly.

And $15 for all of that, Brett - a bargain!

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Mike is correct.
Hawleywoods probably uses something like this:

eRG_razor.gif

Its hard to tell but the actual blade itself is replaceable. Theyre swapped out after each shave.

Brett: Ill betcha GWD paid somewheres around $40 for his shave.

GWD: Didja get some of that Layrite Pomade while you were there ?? I know, I know.....but you may try to grow some back at a later date

Feraud

Bartender
Mike in Seattle said:
For the last decade or more, they're required by federal law to use disposable bladed straight razors, with a new blade for each customer. The scales ("case" or "handle" on a straight razor) can't take an autoclave. Since it's a new blade each shave, I don't know if they even strop. I've wondered, though, if you could bring your own razor in, would they use it and/or help teach someone to use it properly.

And $15 for all of that, Brett - a bargain!
If the barbershop is using a disposable razor in their straight handles, does this mean the shave is the equivalent to a safety razor shave?
I have been using a safety razor since my teens and see little reason for a barbershop shave if this is the case..

GWD

One Too Many
To be honest with you, I did it for the experience, not the quality of the shave.

At that point it was the closest shave I had ever had. But since that day, I've changed my shaving technique and can achieve just as close a shave with a cartridge. I have also purchased a straight razor but it needs to be professionally sharpened so I haven't used it yet. I also have a safety razor which I have had great results.

Yeah you're right I paid over $40 buck for that shave, but hey, I got a beer and some kick ass rock-a-billy music and I can check that off my list of stuff to do before I die.

I didn't purchase any of their products but I do like the bay rum aftershave.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Hmm, there's a second page to this thread that I can't seem to access. Oh well.

I just wanted to say that there's a chain of barbershops around Grand Rapids (Jude's) that offers a hot-towel/straight-razor shave for around $15.00. That used to include a beer, but alas Michigan requires barbershops to have a liquor license if they want to give away beer. They were using Pabst as well.

I have not had the money to splurge on such an indulgence yet, but you can be assured that I will someday and I'll report on it here.

They are not otherwise particularly retro, in fact they're trying to appeal to a young male clientele. Most of their barbers are in fact pretty young girls in miniskirts and whatnot, and they play modern rock and have decorated with Rolling Stone covers, that sort of thing. Still, the service is old fashioned, what with the neck rub and all.

-Dave

rikrdo

A-List Customer
GWD !

Im gonna make a trip down to your neck 'O the woods and stop at Hi-Time for a major booze refill and I must say the thought of stopping by Hawleywoods has been on my mind for a long time now.
Maybe we could grab a brew and I could steal one of your tasty Milans !! :D

Oh.
And I would be remiss were I not to mention my favorite shave site:
www.theshaveden.com

We have a great time over there, as well ;)

GWD

One Too Many
rikrdo said:
GWD !

Im gonna make a trip down to your neck 'O the woods and stop at Hi-Time for a major booze refill and I must say the thought of stopping by Hawleywoods has been on my mind for a long time now.
Maybe we could grab a brew and I could steal one of your tasty Milans !! :D

Oh.
And I would be remiss were I not to mention my favorite shave site:
www.theshaveden.com

We have a great time over there, as well ;)

I'll meet you for a few! If you plan on going to Hawelywoods make sure you call a couple of weeks ahead of time for an appointment. They don't take walk ins.

darthinvictus

New in Town
good afternoon gentleman
This is my first post but I could not resist I have been getting razor shaves for about 2 years now and I love it. Here in georgia i find it is best to go to a latino barber for this service possibly because it is stilla common practice in their home countries. The cost is 7.00 dollars and i throw in a fiver for my barber. The spanish music in the background is a bonus as i close my eyes and float to havanna. My guy Rey uses replacable blades in his strait razor and seems to make a show of letting me see it. All around a great experience.
cheers- George

LA_ESQ

New in Town
Awesome Haircut in OC/LA? WHERE?

I'm looking for a great barber. Someone who own scissors and knows how to use them. Since I'm not in high school anymore, I'm not interested in "give me a 3 fade on the sides..."

I prefer somewhere in North/Central OC but am willing to travel. I have a great guy up in Hollywood---but it's too much to bear with traffic.

Can anyone help?

GWD

One Too Many
Donnie is the Owner. All the barbers there are good or they wouldn't work there. You'll need to make an appointment at least 2 weeks in advance.

Hope you like Pabst Blue Ribbon and Rock-a-billy music!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff