Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour International

injunjack

One of the Regulars
Same here, last rides were in late october, and now waiting for march and springtime.
As you said, supringly warm when layered with fleece. And watertight enough to be used as rainsuit.

BTW. I'm clearing my closet of some leather, 3 jackets actually. All CHP models, 2 vintage and one unused repro.

I have used Vanson coming in...

ride safe when the time comes;)

Jack

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
So that means you are a member of the VLJ too ? Likewise ! :) I've seen your ad' there. I've a Star ELC A-2 and a Star G-1 plus a new Aero Highwayman custom job all due at my house today !

So someone else who fights with his wife over jackets and bikes then !!!

Dave

injunjack

One of the Regulars
Yep,
I promised to "she who must be obeyed" that I won't be buying another leather jacket at least in a year. :whistling

Jack

Alexi

One of the Regulars
anyone wanna trade a international for a international trials model, or I'll trade my trials for pretty much any larger cut barbour. sized med

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Here's one of my Barbour Intls. This is the military issue one. Size 46" / 117cms. Bloody difficult to photograph well !! I have the trousers as well. I fins I need 2 sizes up on my real waist to get a good fit where I can raise my leg high enough to mount the bike lol

g.jpg

Dave

Edward

Bartender
I'm probably being thick here, but are those still issued? Or when was the period of issue? I've not previously been aware they were used in this way. Were they a later thing, or also issued as an alternative to the despatch rider coats?

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Not sure Edward. I've had several over the years and they all had bar codes and were metric sized so prbably 80's onwards. There are a lot on the surplus market and have been for several years so I reckon they must have been superceded. I also have a black, nylon, armoured MoD issue jacket too.

There is a surplus dealer near me (6 miles away) who always seems to have a good supply of the Internationals.

Perhaps earlier ones were black civvi ones ??

Here's a photo of me in my black jacket........

PICT1601.jpg

Dave

Alexi

One of the Regulars
if I remember right they were issued to police and military from the 20's on.

how much do the surplus ones go for?

Edward

Bartender
Yes, at the right price, I'd be interested in a surplus model, especially if, as I understand it, that would give me the option of using the Winter lining (the Trials model does not). I am looking forward to the weather becoming sufficiently mild to wear my trials out.

BTW, those who have bought one of these new, what did you do with the belt? I don't want to remove it - it's a key part of the look, to my eye, but new it's so stiff that it hangs like a pair of odd wings when the jacket is open! I might belt it across the back... lol

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
My Jacket

Sportster.jpg
Well here I am on our annual New Years ride, captured my best side If I say so my self! It was about 20 Degrees when we left warmed to about 40. When I was getting ready to leave, I found my leads to the heated gloves were to short, so I ran back inside to get my other gloves, ended up working up a nice sweat, so the first part of the ride was cold! The Colorado roads were remarkably clear, just water in places. The Barbour International worked well, my arms stayed warm with the under liner I was wearing. Only cold was where my liner was separated at the middle, I think I will buy the Barbour fleece liner and fasten my high tech liner in between the coat and liner, that should be toasty! My Cafe Sportster ran flawlessly as usual, glad I built it, way to much fun for one person.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
Edward,
I just rolled my belt up into a spiral and unrolled it repeatedly until it loosened up. I wear if folded over itself most of the time

Edward

Bartender
Alexi said:
Edward,
I just rolled my belt up into a spiral and unrolled it repeatedly until it loosened up. I wear if folded over itself most of the time

Cool, I'll give that a go.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
Weston said:
Not to be daft here, but why the angled pocket on the chest?

i've heard a few reasons, to hold a pistol (and make it easier to pull out) to holding dispatch papers and maps

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yep, the pocket is like that so you can easier reach anything you might require while riding - map, papers, glasses, hand grenade...

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
Barbour jackets are not an official military issue garment, however, they are often privately purchased and were very popular with British Marines in Northern Ireland during the 70's/80's due in part to the damp weather. Some pics have been seen of SAS troops wearing them too.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here I am in mine in Venice in November. This is the leather and wax cotton version.
MeSGMVeniceNovember2009.jpg

MeVeniceNovember20092.jpg

This is now my preferred travel jacket and the slanted pocket is great for a guidebook, notebook, or iPhone. This jacket also gets better with age, especially the butter soft leather.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
havocpaul said:
Barbour jackets are not an official military issue garment, however, they are often privately purchased and were very popular with British Marines in Northern Ireland during the 70's/80's due in part to the damp weather. Some pics have been seen of SAS troops wearing them too.

Hi Paul,
The Barbour Durham was the preferred Barbour in the Army. Although they did make one in DPM camouflage (which was also lined) too for a while. The Durham, being unlined, was great for going under the camo smock and took up little space in the belt order / webbing.

The angled pocket was primarily for getting easier access to maps - hence the size of the pocket. Much like on the old RFC leather flying coat. (A coat crying out to be re-made by Aero IMVHO).

As to storing a pistol in it, no way !! Pistols are too heavy and the lack of secure fastening could mean it dropping out at the first excuse. Strictly paperwork. The Hi-Power would be in a belt or shoulder holster.

There's some nice photos of Internationals there guys :eusa_clap

Dave

Edward

Bartender
havocpaul said:

Interesting; don't remember ever seeing one on the street, but then I never did pay much attention to the uniforms. The one thing that sticks in my head from the days of the troops on the streets of Belfast is the old-pattern NI gloves, the ones with the padding along the top of the fingers as well as the back of the hand.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Edward, if you check the refs to Barbours as worn in that area, you'll understand why you didn't notice them on the street...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred