Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour Longshorman Snock

Doublegun

Practically Family
Looking for a Barbour Longshorman in XL or XXL. Have a line on one marked Large (27.5" pit to pit) but according to the Barbour site a Large is a 46. Suggestions where I might find one?

Thanks,

JDG

Plumbline

One Too Many
JDG ... I had one of these about 4 years ago and the large was HUGE ( easilly an XL and about 54" actual chest measurement) .. I have a 43" chest and the medium was big on me ..... the large positively drowned me ( and I like things a little loose ... as many on here would have you believe.

HTH

Doublegun

Practically Family
Every photo I see with someone wearing one looks like they are swimming in it. The issue I have always had with Barbour is their sizing. So if a jacket measures 27" pit-to-pit would you say that is roughy a size 54?

Thank you.

Plumbline

One Too Many
it is MASSIVE

the large was easilly a 54" chest .... and the sleeves were built for an Orangutang :(

A medium was about a real 48"chest.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Looking for a Barbour Longshorman in XL or XXL. Have a line on one marked Large (27.5" pit to pit) but according to the Barbour site a Large is a 46. Suggestions where I might find one?

Thanks,

JDG
Have you tried telephoning Barbour directly? The staff at the North American headquarters are very nice and they have a warehouse full of, well, everything Barbour.

Every photo I see with someone wearing one looks like they are swimming in it. The issue I have always had with Barbour is their sizing. So if a jacket measures 27" pit-to-pit would you say that is roughy a size 54?

Thank you.

I would generally think a 27" pit to pit would be about a size 50.
General rule....2 X (pit to pit diameter) - 4 = jacket size.
I wear a size 44 jacket. I am for a pit to pit around 24".

Doublegun

Practically Family
Have you tried telephoning Barbour directly? The staff at the North American headquarters are very nice and they have a warehouse full of, well, everything Barbour.

No, I haven't but that is a good idea. Monday morning, first thing. Think they might happen to have a Longshoreman still with tags that they would sell?

Thanks

On a related note, if the jacket was sold in the UK and is marked "Large" does that mean it's actually a 52-54 per the UK sizing chart?

My impression is Barbour's sizing is all over the chart.
I understood their "large" size was something like a size 40-42 US sizing...then I come across the information here.
I'd give them a call...be sure you can return the jacket if it doesn't fit.
This may be one of those situations where you want to order two sizes planning to return the one that doesn't fit. (If shipping isn't prohibitive.)

Doublegun

Practically Family
I have owned two Beauforts. The first one I ordered according to my (then) jacket size which was 46. Wore it for a year before the jacket shrank. Too small to wear anything but a tee-shirt underneath and sleeves were 3"-4" too short. Gave it to my wife and ordered a size 50, the largest size available at the time. Now it's probably a size 48. By the way, pit-to-pit it measures 29". WTF?

For the record, I wore the jackets for their intended purpose: hunting upland birds. Specifically, roughed grouse and woodcock. The good news is as long as you keep the collar up and a hat brim over the neck you can keep even thr heaviest of downpours out. The bad news is they breath like a garbage bag and with even moderate exertion you will soak yourself from the inside out. Keeping the collar out of the rain is critical as thr cord wicks the water right to the lining.

Today I wear my Beaufort in thr field on cold windy days and when walking around town. It looks beat to hell, with frayed cuffs and a "lived in" smell and there are still a few empty shells and feathers in the gamebag Fortunately the appearance distinguishes me from the posers and hipsters who wear their Barbours to Whole Foods and Starbucks on their way home from yoga.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Good heavens... do they still make the Longshoreman Smock? I always wanted one but then they stopped making them for a while and I lost interest.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
I still have mine, which I bought more than 20 years ago. I did a fair bit of winter sports in it before the Gore Tex revolution kicked in. It was heavy, it froze so stiff I needed help to take it off, but I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Recently acquired a Burton x Filson collab jacket, which is almost the same colour and texture, but has all the bells and whistles of a sports-specific design. But the reason I got this one was really that it reminded me so much of my old Longshoreman smock!
That one is still a great design for really bad weather and not too many people around to watch you, because you will invariably look like you are wearing a tent, no matter what size you choose.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Found one, a Large, in great shape. My jacket size is a 48-49 and the Large fits me with a little room to spare, although there isn't room for much bulk under it. I'd still like to find an XL. The Longshoreman is just a cool piece of gear. Not practical in the least, but still cool.

Anyone hear of an XL (or have one they are willing to part with) please let me know.

Thanks,

JDG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot