Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour Wax Jackets

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Barbours always remind me of the days when I worked on a local paper in East Lothian, a county packed with huntin', shootin', fishin' types. All my bosses wore the things, so I associate them with people who inspire, shall we say, antipathy in me.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I liked the Che model, and a couple of others. Belstaff ruined the look for me a bit when they cut out the angled pocket on the left breast.

I checked out the price of new Belstaff and Barbour bike jackets when we moved down to Bath – we're in a valley and it rains A LOT, all year round, and I walk three miles round trip to work each day – but they were too darn expensive, for what they were. And the price of vintage pieces, sheesh!

In the end, I took the chance on a lookey-likey on Ebay (see pic below), made by Campbell Cooper, which cost £50. Apart from needing a coupla of re-waxes, it's been hammered now for over five years and is simply one of the most versatile, best value pieces of clothing I've ever owned... you can wear a shirt under it in Summer downpours, a sweat Autumn/Spring and a Cowichan in the Winter, and no rain or cold will getcha! In fact, it's almost...

385791_10150933657110471_552839519_n.jpg

After seeing this pic of her modern 'all weather' gear next to my waxie, my better half is thinking of getting one, too...

527755_10151793615495471_1377979760_n.jpg

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Here I am a couple of years ago on our annual New Years ride. I love my Barbour, glad I bought when they were still cheep! No problem with wax on clothing or upholstery. Unlike most motorcycle jackets, you can wear this almost any where. Barbour has great customer service, I needed a new belt so I emailed them, they replied, asking what size I needed? Then I got no more replies, about 6 days latter, a large envelope arrived from the UK, my new belt, no charge! Try that with Bellstaff.
Sportster.jpg

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Very sweet jacket Mr. Badger. Upper pockets remind me of the M1942 airborne jump jacket. Did you do the rewaxing yourself? Your newsboy hat is the business as well.

Regards,
coffee

Thanks, Coffee – the jacket wasn't really heavily waxed when I got it and I ummed and ahhed about using proper Barbour wax on it, because of the messy, lengthy application process, and the resultant marks on furniture, other clothing, etc from actually wearing the re-waxed jacket.

Therefore, as I don't need the sheer amount of protection that a motorcyclist would, I decided to use spray-on Nik Wax instead, which is still a bit of a pain, but does the trick, especially if you give the shoulders, top of the back and the outside sleeves a second (ahem) coat:

483096_10152116910195471_1048794729_n.jpg

The hat is a Jaxon 'Big Apple' cap, which can be had for a song (£17.95 UK and $18.95 US)... they're really well made – here's a UK link and one for US FLers.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
To me, Barbours are tough, effective, utilitarian jackets with a bit of country romance thrown in. I've assembled quite a collection over the last 20 years.

The thing I like about them too is that they have zero cache' here in Boston and are totally under the radar. At my age, I am out to impress no one!

too much coffee

Practically Family
Thanks, Coffee – the jacket wasn't really heavily waxed when I got it and I ummed and ahhed about using proper Barbour wax on it, because of the messy, lengthy application process, and the resultant marks on furniture, other clothing, etc from actually wearing the re-waxed jacket.

Therefore, as I don't need the sheer amount of protection that a motorcyclist would, I decided to use spray-on Nik Wax instead, which is still a bit of a pain, but does the trick, especially if you give the shoulders, top of the back and the outside sleeves a second (ahem) coat:

483096_10152116910195471_1048794729_n.jpg

The hat is a Jaxon 'Big Apple' cap, which can be had for a song (£17.95 UK and $18.95 US)... they're really well made – here's a UK link and one for US FLers.

Thank you for the link and the information Mr. B.
Three miles round trip? No wonder you don't have a weight problem. Good for you!

Regards,
coffee

mondocatto

New in Town
In the end, I took the chance on a lookey-likey on Ebay (see pic below), made by Campbell Cooper, which cost £50.
527755_10151793615495471_1377979760_n.jpg

Been meaning to post here forever! I got one of those a few years ago, it's been fantastic, if anything heavier cotton than the original Barbours, and made in Britain to boot. Like you said probably the most useful and practical garment I've ever bought. I've rewaxed mine I think twice. Worth remembering they size big, I'm a 40/42 chest and the Medium I have is generous fitting enough to get a jean jacket plus a couple of layers under it. BTW A Kindle fits perfectly in the roomy pockets.

That's not the most bizarre thing though. Look closely and check the pin I have on the angled pocket (which i put on it the day I got it).

elvisrow.jpg

weird huh!

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I've seen Barbours, and they're nice, but definitely not worth the price.
Luckily I found Lewis Creek.
http://www.lewiscreek.com/
Easily the equal of Barbour with respect to fit, finish, appearance, and protection.
I've worn it in downpours and remained bone dry.
The waxed cotton is beautiful and in brown looks like a light weight leather from a few feet away.
Plus, they're much less expensive than Barbours.
Lenny

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I've seen Barbours, and they're nice, but definitely not worth the price.
Luckily I found Lewis Creek.
http://www.lewiscreek.com/
Easily the equal of Barbour with respect to fit, finish, appearance, and protection.
I've worn it in downpours and remained bone dry.
The waxed cotton is beautiful and in brown looks like a light weight leather from a few feet away.
Plus, they're much less expensive than Barbours.
Lenny

They look nice, but most items are either sold out or available in 1 size in 1 color. Available selection is almost non-existent. Are they going out of business?

Magister

Familiar Face
If you like the style of the Barbour or Belstaff but the price is a bit too dear, try the Kakadu Nelson jacket. It is the same style of waxed cotton or oilcloth jacket motorcycle jacket, but much less expensive. I have worn one regularly for a couple of years now, and it is still going strong.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I have a couple of Barbours and the coating you choose makes a lot of difference. As to the Che Guevara jacket, I personally prefer the Jim Jones model.

clevispin

One of the Regulars
A Barbour Needs to be Worn Well

Got a Barbour as a gift and wore it a few times but not enough to break it in. One day I was wearing my old Eddie Bauer jacket and it was cold and rainy and I bumped into a homeless fellow I knew. He told me he'd be traveling (he was a traveling type) so I gave him the Barbour from the trunk of my car since he was wet in just a sweater. Over time he seemed to break it in well. m

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo