Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Battling the Elements, or: Why I Hate St. Petersburg

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
Well, I don't really hate St. Petersburg, I like it here a lot! But here is the problem: the weather is not at all conducive to looking nice. It rains. All the time. And the wind is vicious and pretty much constant. Soon it will start getting cold, too. Today I set my hair, did my make-up, thought I looked nice... I walked back from university and my hair is a mess and my lipstick is all over my face because of the rain and the wind. I'm no stranger to bad weather, as an Englishwoman, but it has been depressing me a lot more over here for some reason.

How do those of you who live in more temperately inhospitibal locations manage??? Does anyone have any tips for me?

Thank you in advance for your help dolls!

xxx

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Oh, can I sympathize... I'm from the icy tundras of Northern New England, where bone-chilling winds, blizzards, and sleet are a very normal feature of winter life here. Certainly not conducive to a glamorous appearance, to say the least! Here are some things I have found helpful for battling the weather:

-Wear a dark red lipstain in lieu of lipstick; you can apply lipstick over it once you get inside, or not... it looks nice anyway!
- I wear eyepencil and waterproof mascara more than my usual liquid liner on the very bitter days, as my eyes tend to get all watery.
- Skip the foundation if you can, or wear lots of moisturizer. The wind chaps and roughens your face something awful.
- Ear muffs and scarves will keep you toasty without mussing up you hair too much. Also, headscarves are a saving grace on very windy days.
- Fur! (Vintage or faux, of course) I have three thick, plush '60s faux fur coats and various mink/fox stoles and collars that really are miraculously warm.
- Wool, and 100%, mind you... no blends. Wool trousers and pencil skirts topped with a cozy sweater or two look elegant but are very warm. Wear cashmere tops instead of blouses. Similarly, if you are determined to wear skirts and dresses all the time (I know I am!) layer your wool tights, and leg-warmers, if you can stomach them, really are nice.
- Hand/foot warming packets, and mittens.

I hope this can be of some help! Once you get accustomed to the weather, I'm sure you'll have a lovely time. At least this is wonderful excuse to go shopping ;). And I will be eagerly watching this thread myself for more tips, of course!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I get you. We have weather here too... And lots of it.

For make-up in the wind and humidity, prime your eyelids before applying eyeliner and shadow, and avoid shadow on your lower eyelid, because it will run (a look that is only cute on raccoons). Also be sure to blot your lipstick in this weather - Its the excess that bleeds, so simply remove it. Keep in mind that matte lipsticks do not run, but they can be drying. Finally, dust powder liberally all over your face to set your foundation (if you wear it, but I too would skip it) and eyebrow pencil, and it won't move.

In terms of hair, I second the earmuffs and scarves, but when that won't do it, wear a wool tam. It covers your head and ears and most of your hair (you can also tuck your hair into it) and it looks so cute! Large loose curls are a great winter style aswell, because they can be windblown and half frozen and still look great.

Last edited:

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I spent some time in St Petersburg many years ago, so i sympathise with you on the weather front, it was bitterly cold, snowy and windy and then when you get indoors it's insanely warm, so i felt like a demented stripper most of the time. Clothes on, clothes off!!

Where i live now, we have rather inclement weather, lots of wind especially being so near the sea, so lip gloss is a no-no if i have my hair loose and don't want to have Adam Ant stripes of gloss all over my face!

I second the other ladies suggestions, lip stain is a good idea, or blot your lippie, i always wear waterproof mascara in the Winter and usually apply most of my makeup, like eyeliner when i get to work, luckily i can do that. I also tend to wear lots of berets, as C-dot said, you can also have some curls loose which looks cute too. Turbans are great too, i love a turban, you can add a snazzy brooch for some full on glamour. I also tend to take out rollers/pins from my set and wear a headscarf or beret until i get where i'm going and then brush it out if it is particularly rainy or damp. Also i do recommend an old lady rainhat, if an umbrella and headscarf isn't going to cut it in the wind and rain, they look authentic and quite frankly i don't care if i look like a twit, i ain't letting all that time i have spent on my set the night before get ruined by the rain in two seconds flat!

Do people still wear those big, fur, hats still? Everyone had one in St P when i was there. I bought one pronto, i felt very Dr Zhivago. Much as i don't condone modern fur, in the artic conditions i felt it was acceptable to do so,particularly as there was so much snow and my ski hat didn't cut it. It was a lifesaver and it looked rather good even if i say so myself! That could be an option.

maristella

New in Town
You study German and Russian too, yay! When I was in St. Petersburg I pretty much gave up on ever looking good, particularly with the walks through the snow and driving wind, although thankfully when I was there it never really got below -15. I will however also vote for headscarves to hold hair down and I guess avoid walking as much as possible when it gets really cold. Tough I know, when the metro stops are widely spread out and the marshrutka takes forever to turn up! Wish I could be of more help!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Do people still wear those big, fur, hats still? Everyone had one in St P when i was there. I bought one pronto, i felt very Dr Zhivago. Much as i don't condone modern fur, in the artic conditions i felt it was acceptable to do so,particularly as there was so much snow and my ski hat didn't cut it. It was a lifesaver and it looked rather good even if i say so myself! That could be an option.

Cute! I just bought one of those big vintage fur hats at the last antique show I went to, it looks like this (except silver):

garance_dore_red_head_with_fur_hat.jpg

I haven't tried wearing them in sub zero temperatures yet, but they sure look adorable, and I don't see why they wouldn't be extremely warm.

Marla

A-List Customer
Are we talking Leningrad here?

Get yourself a dublenka. In Russia winter is the domain of woolen sweaters and generally looking frumpy.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I spent some time in St Petersburg many years ago, so i sympathise with you on the weather front, it was bitterly cold, snowy and windy and then when you get indoors it's insanely warm, so i felt like a demented stripper most of the time. Clothes on, clothes off!!

LOL! This cracked me up. lol

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
Hey hey devushki (girls)!

Thank you for the advice! Hopefully we can keep adding to it with ideas, and I will be able to add some of my own as I start getting practised...

WATERPROOF MASCARA! What a suggestion. I went and got some and I am doing much better at not having panda eyes... Only problem is, my make-up remover doesn’t get it off! I almost never wear foundation, so it won’t be a pain for me to skip that. I also use MAC primer for my eyeshadow, which is great if you’ve never tried it.

I don’t like lipstain because it makes my lips dry out (maybe you could recommend a good one?), but I’ve been leaving the gloss off mine. I normally wear Ruby Woo with just a touch of Russian Red lipglass to make the colour richer (both MAC, of course, my one true love).

HOW DO YOU TIE YOUR SCARVES? I have been practising a Grace Kelly type thing – is that how you ladies wear yours on a windy day?

A musquash coat is on its way to me. It is vintage, so I don’t feel too guilty, but I’m afraid the morals have to be abandoned out here. The Russians are taking me shopping for fur-lined boots and fur-lined mittens, and I am scared of freezing without them – it was -22 Fahrenheit (-30 Celsius) here last Winter!

Miss Sofia, I am looking into one of those hats! I just need to wait for my shuba (long fur coat!) to arrive so I can pick one that will go...

Marla! Leningrad it is! I went for the full shuba!

You’re right about being a stripper... even in this weather when I only need a raincoat, I constantly have to drag it on and off and... urgh! So difficult to look ladylike!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Great picture C-dot.

The headscarf/fur coat combo will look very chic, not to mention warm. I also wear scarves tied up Rosie Riveter style, there are plenty of good tutorials on Youtube that will show you how. I also think a velvet turban can look great with a fur coat too, as well as the fur hat of course.

I'm glad you are getting to grips with things your end. Do keep us posted as to how you get on. x

Juliet

A-List Customer
Darling, as a born St. Petersburger, I can only tell you to man up and be creative :) Weather is no excuse to a refined girl - you still have to look bee-yoo-tiful :)

Marzena

One of the Regulars
As a Warsaw girl, where winters can frequently be very nasty indeed I thought I would supplement the above great advice with the following:

1. Switch skincare: ie wear light mosturises typically dubbed "day" for nights in those overheated rooms. Wear the much richer "night" creams during the day. Scrub your face regularly to get rid of the unavoidable residue of dead skin.

2. Do NOT give up foundation. This is a protective barrier; if you go without, in Spring the skin will be dehydrated and chapped. You need rich product, though, possibly (don't kill me!) for older women, antiwrinkle something. It will be soothing , rich and protective to skin in freezing weather.

3. Keep head And feet warm and you will feel warm. Knee high boots are the thing for your feet, maybe with legwarners and socks inside and something warm over your head is a necessity. In my experience scarves, berets and funnels are the kindest for your hair. A cable knitted headband and the funnel on top looks chic and makes you feel feels wrapped up rather that smothered. Finally, as for that winter frumpiness, the key is dressing in layers. Imagine adding two cardigans over your outfit and treating them as lining to your coat - they never get seen.

I hope you are enjoying your studies and having lots and lots of fun.

Last edited:

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
Russian women are much better than English women at hats and scarves, from what I’ve seen so far – I guess just because it gets colder here! But I’ve seen some really cool hats in shops – clothes and lovely little felt pillbox hats for when it gets colder, plus the furs, but they are VERY expensive over here.
Good advice about the skincare Marszena... I would never think to switch day and night creams! Also, I’m not offended by the foundation comment, BUT... I almost never wear foundation, I have some light foundation for days when my skin is having a proper tantrum, but other than that I don’t usually bother... do you find it really makes such a difference to your skin that it would be worth trying to find some here (not that they don’t have it in Russia of course, just that “porcelain” is too dark for me!) and make the effort to apply it every day?

I’m thinking fur-lined boots and layer and layers and layers of everything!

Thanks girls
xxx

p.s. Miss Sofia, I tried to send you a private message, but it said your inbox was full!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Oh i must remedy that, sorry.

Can i recommend some silk underwear, a cami or such like, very good next to the skin as the initial layer for warmth if you're layering.

Good advice about the foundation, although sunscreen and a protective tinted moisturiser would do just as well i think if you don't like wearing too much slap.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I'm still not sold - Foundation can be more of a headache than it's worth in cold, windy weather. Rich moisturizers and night creams will keep your skin from getting dry and chapped, and they won't shift in the wind like foundation would. Also - and this is the big one - They won't encourage breakouts. Many women put foundation over their breakouts to cover them, when all that does is make them worse. It's a vicious cycle.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Your right, i do that. I have not been blessed with good skin and tend to slap on the base to cover up my spots and psoriasis. It only exacerbates the problem really. But i find getting a decent concealer really hard. They tend to be too pinky or too yellow.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy