Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bauhaus Fashion?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I was recently told by a co-worker that my style resembles the 1930s Bauhaus German art movement. Does anyone have any information, especially photos, of the clothing influenced by this movement or know where I can find some?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I have never heard of Bauhaus clothing, only Bauhaus as a school and style of architecture and furniture, founded during the teens and having its greatest impact during the twenties and closed down in 1933 because of the unfortunate circumstances in Germany, its last exponent being Mies van der Rohe.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Agreed. I don't know who's telling you that you have Bauhaus style clothing, but maybe he/she is more familiar with the band than the art movement.

There is Bauhaus jewelry, like this bakelite necklace that my wife purchased at an antique shop in Berlin.
DSC_0088.jpg

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lauren, maybe the person just associated Bauhaus with the 20's and 30's, and therefore made the connection with your style? You are, after all, picture perfect 30's. :)

But maybe it could be said that the "less is more" Bauhaus and Modernist styles in general influenced fashions to become more simple and streamlined, or the other way around. I don't know, just trying to guess what the person might have meant.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Bauhaus art is a favorite style of mine, but I don't think I know what Bauhaus fashion is. "Bauhaus" is German and was coined in 1919 to describe art, furniture or design that was influenced by architecture. Whatever your coworker meant, I'm sure it was a compliment.

Here's a Bauhaus poster:

Bauhaus.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Oh, ok, that makes a lot of sense. I like stripes and contrast, and dress with 30s styles and usually a beret or some sort of hat in winter. Maybe the vintage style with bold colors reminded them of the art movement!
Laura Chase, thank you for your kind compliment. I can't vouch for dressing vintage every day, but usually wear high waisted wide legged trousers. For every day I'm far from perfect 30s, but more "inspired". lol
Thank you, everyone, for clarifying Bauhaus for me!

DetroitFalcons

Familiar Face
Assuming the comment was not about the 80's group, I'm sure it was meant to mean modern (in the 1930s idea of modernity). From the books I have looked at regarding the Bauhaus, most of the faculty and students dressed in a simple, "plain" way, however, not in a bad way if that makes sense. More or less meaning less ornate, less frilly, but clean lines and maybe somewhat casual for the time. Since the Nazis considered them subversive (Mies was what could be considered apolitical) the movement was broken up and a lot of it moved here before the war. While the Bauhaus didn't really affect mainstream America pre war, through Mies and Gropius and their followers the Bauhaus movement changed the face of our cities starting in the 1950s.

Kim_B

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic: Kind of...

Saw Bauhaus in concert - that was amazing. Peter Murphy, while creepy looking at times, has an awesome stage presence. Bela Lugosi's Dead was great live! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo