Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beating up your Aero -- advice sought

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Association football...
That's the football you play with your feet rather than the one that you...er...don't (gridiron) ;-)

tonypaj

Practically Family
Association football...
That's the football you play with your feet rather than the one that you...er...don't (gridiron) ;-)

Nah, soccer does not exist. Football is football, the American version is just rugby for wimps who need protective gear. It would be a good way to break in an Aero FQHH jacket, though. And also, I hope the Giants beat the hell out of the Pats...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Feel free to put it in a front loader washer with a little soap or soak it in the bath and agitate it for 30 minutes. I hate new leather jackets and the break in period in these things takes forever. I found I simply didn't want to wear my thick leather jackets at all. I've washed a dozen jackets without any harm and they get much better to wear.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
How do you like that lighter seal brown goatskin jacket? Very cool. How thick is it? Is it on the soft side of the spectrum? I really like the look of this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aero-Leathe...Outerwear&hash=item256c13e230#ht_15315wt_1398
DO NOT roll up the heavy horsehide jacket and put weight on it. I got that advice from a Fedora Lounger. Bad idea. Hopefully, it is a little on the tight side and will break in naturally to the shape of your body.

As for soaking the jacket, I have seen a few jackets come "pre aged" from Aero that look clumpy and bad. Agitating a jacket in the washer can create lumps that look unsightly. I have never done it myself, but I have seen jackets that were agitated in washers that looked uneven and badly "aged." I think when I buy mine, I will walk my dog in the rain while wearing the jacket. This happens, as I live in Oregon. Some days, it rains all day long. Rain will be my new ally once I get my first Aero. I will try to wear the jacket as long as possible after it has gotten wet, so that it will get used to my shape underneath.

I am excited to get one. I also plan to camp in my jacket in the mountains in cooler weather. Hiking, light climbing around on steep slopes (not cliffs), fishing, hunting, and getting out in the woods seems foreign to a cafe racer jacket, but that's precisely what I plan on doing with mine to help break it in.

Last edited:

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Very creative ideas, fellas, thanks. I like the twine and soccer idea. Only I don't play soccer.

And, wow, yeah, the Selkirk's pretty nice.

Sir J

Last edited:

pauleway

Practically Family
How do you like that lighter seal brown goatskin jacket? Very cool. How thick is it? Is it on the soft side of the spectrum? I really like the look of this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aero-Leathe...Outerwear&hash=item256c13e230#ht_15315wt_1398
DO NOT roll up the heavy horsehide jacket and put weight on it. I got that advice from a Fedora Lounger. Bad idea. Hopefully, it is a little on the tight side and will break in naturally to the shape of your body.

As for soaking the jacket, I have seen a few jackets come "pre aged" from Aero that look clumpy and bad. Agitating a jacket in the washer can create lumps that look unsightly. I have never done it myself, but I have seen jackets that were agitated in washers that looked uneven and badly "aged." I think when I buy mine, I will walk my dog in the rain while wearing the jacket. This happens, as I live in Oregon. Some days, it rains all day long. Rain will be my new ally once I get my first Aero. I will try to wear the jacket as long as possible after it has gotten wet, so that it will get used to my shape underneath.

I am excited to get one. I also plan to camp in my jacket in the mountains in cooler weather. Hiking, light climbing around on steep slopes (not cliffs), fishing, hunting, and getting out in the woods seems foreign to a cafe racer jacket, but that's precisely what I plan on doing with mine to help break it in.
The Aero Selkirk jacket that is on e-bay is the jacket I custom ordered from AeroUSA and sent back because it was the wrong color goatskin. I wanted it in Russet goat, but it came in Seal goat. After a very long wait (Not going to mention how long) I finally received my jacket (In Russet goatskin) and it is awsome! I love the jacket and have been wearing it all the time. It's a great jacket and I guarentee you wont be disapointed if you decide to pull the trigger on this design. The only thing I'm disapointed in is Mark didnt call it the pauleway Sportsman instead of the Selkirk!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Despite the myths, washing a jacket won't create lumps or problems of any kind. All the jackets I have washed look the same after the process, they are just softer and better to wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy