Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty Complaints

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
You know what I really hate?

Those early, winter morning moments before the heat kicks in, when you have to disrobe and get in the shower. Naked, wet and cold...WHAAAA!!!! :(

I also hate the time crunch when you have to decide if it's necessary to sacrifice leg shaving to gain 2 extra minutes for hair and makeup!

Just thought of another!

Anybody still use a curling brush? Like the barrel curling irons but with teeth. I hate it when you go to unwind your hair and realize one bit is wrapped counterclockwise to the rest. I've had to shut the iron off for fear of burning off my hair while I pry it out!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Try using gel, regular ol' cheap gel, instead of Lottabody.

Ditto that! I have a big ol' tub of neon blue gel and it works great for setting waves. The cheaper the better.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
23SkidooWithYou said:
You know what I really hate?

Those early, winter morning moments before the heat kicks in, when you have to disrobe and get in the shower. Naked, wet and cold...WHAAAA!!!! :(

Two possible solutions: bedtime showers and a programmable thermostat.

Christy

One of the Regulars
Lauren said:
I hate everything having to do with hair. Setting it, shaving legs, plucking eyebrows. After it's curled, though, I have fun playing with it. It's just the curling part I hate.
Hate doing my eyebrows.
Hate the smell of lottabody, and hate hairspray- the smell, how sticky it feels if it gets on your skin, accidentally spraying it on my ears, having little splotchy marks on my glasses.
Contacts. Hate em. Think I look like a dork in glasses, though.
Heels. Hate wearing them. Love the way they look, though.
Don't like foundation garments.
So I don't usually do anything unless I'm going to something vintage. Otherwise, I just get by with minimal hair/makeup and casual clothing.
Ha. I'm surprised after seeing this typed out I do vintage. Love the way it makes me feel when I'm all put together, though! lol

lol I agree with this too! I absolutely love how I look and feel once I'm put together and done, but sometimes the process can be frustrating. I especially hate when I spray the side of my face or my neck with hairspray.

Thanks for the suggestion of gel Lauren and Miss Bella, and the mousse C-dot. I'm headed to the store tomorrow, to pick something up.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I keep my Lottabody in a wide mouthed jar, so I can dip a comb in it. A friend gave me a swell vintage label for it!

My pet peeve has to be that I am having a harder time SEEING to do my makeup . I am super nearsighted, so with my glasses on, it's ok, but I never wear the glasses out of the house, and can't put on the contacts after the makeup. And now that I am a lady of a certain age, I am old-age farsighted with the contacts in, so I can't see up close. [huh]

I find that if I turn the lights on SUPER BRIGHT it helps, but then I end up putting on too much makeup as it is washed out by the bright lights.

Oy!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Lillemor said:
I feel your pain. Back in the 80s I tried to fix the problem with tar shampoos. That only made the problem worse and on top of that I'd stink of tar! I'm not trying to outdo you but it's been a problem for over 30 years now (I'll soon be 33).

My scalp's no where near the bloody mess (quite litterally!) that it used to be but it's not safe for me to use styling products because no matter how I try to only get them on my hair, inevitably some gets onto my scalp and causes havoc that'll take months to recover from. I use regular shampoos and conditioners though but my scalp would probably thank me if I shifted to something even gentler. I just don't know what that'll actually clean my hair and isn't terribly runny[huh]

Sounds like you and I have very similar problems, Lillemor. I always had a bit of a dry scalp as a child but suddenly when I was 13 it kicked off big style (I'm nearly 34 now). I too have had the bleeding, painful scalp. NOT pretty and very painful!

Styling products don't seem to bother me too much but I don't use them on a daily basis anyway. It's the actual washing that is the hard part. I just wish I knew what it is that is irritating it so much so I could avoid it but haven't managed to figure it out yet.

However, cutting out Citrus fruit has helped enormously. Apparently they are know to aggrivate all skin conditions such as dermatitis, excema, psoriasis etc. so it is definitely worth a try, trust me!

I'm another who hates shaving. I can't wax my legs as the hair is too fine. I'm always cutting myself when I do them! I wax my underarms but that doesn't bother me. Guess I'm tough! lol.

Lillemor

One Too Many
However, cutting out Citrus fruit has helped enormously. Apparently they are know to aggrivate all skin conditions such as dermatitis, excema, psoriasis etc. so it is definitely worth a try, trust me!

Hmm...well, I've bought C-vitamin supplements to take along with my regular vitamin pill and strong D I'm getting for a D-vitamin deficiency:rolleyes: and haven't touched citrus as much as I used to. I'll try to notice if I see any improvements over a period of time. I hope the supplements cover my needs. It's not ideal and I love fresh fruit especially of the citrus variety.:(

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Lillemor said:
Hmm...well, I've bought C-vitamin supplements to take along with my regular vitamin pill and strong D I'm getting for a D-vitamin deficiency:rolleyes: and haven't touched citrus as much as I used to. I'll try to notice if I see any improvements over a period of time. I hope the supplements cover my needs. It's not ideal and I love fresh fruit especially of the citrus variety.:(

I know, I love citrus fruits myself and it's hard avoiding them, especially when almost all juices have something in them, but it really did make such a difference. I think Kiwifruit also upsets my skin a bit if I eat too much of it. :( I just think about the good it does me, even though I have a tiny bit now and again.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
I know, I love citrus fruits myself and it's hard avoiding them, especially when almost all juices have something in them, but it really did make such a difference. I think Kiwifruit also upsets my skin a bit if I eat too much of it. :( I just think about the good it does me, even though I have a tiny bit now and again.

I have to do the same thing, as my skin (scalp especially) is so sensitive. I have found a few shampoos that don't irritate my scalp too much, but I find that if I use one product for too long it loses it's effectiveness. Miss Sis & Lilemor I'd be interested to know if there any any products that you found didn't irritate your scalp too much. I have found that avoiding hair dye & perms (harsh chemicals basically) help my scalp too.

Christy

One of the Regulars
How about painting the nails? I rarely ever paint my fingernails because it's such a pain. No matter how long I wait for them to dry I always seem to mess them up. I painted them the day before yesterday and ended up with blanket imprints when I awoke, so I added an extra coat yesterday.

Just as I finished painting them the doorbell rang. The mailman needed me to sign something. He was very understanding and I was able to sign without messing them up. I still had curlers in my hair. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I went all day without messing them up, and I went to bed with nice smooth polish. I woke up this morning, and the blanket imprints were back. Ten hours and they still weren't dry, it was only one coat of polish over two coats from the previous day. I now have textured polish. :eusa_doh: I've decided from now on I'll only get my nails painted when I get a manicure.

On a side note, I picked up some spray hair gel by herbal essences and end papers and just got done setting my hair. It looks like the best set I've done yet, so I'm anxious to see the results tomorrow.

Hestia

Familiar Face
You know what I hate? Touch-ups. I like applying makeup the first time around, but any maintenance after that just feels like an annoying chore to me. And it never looks as good as it did at first.

I don't wear makeup on a daily basis mostly because I don't want to have to fiddle with my face. Special occasions/nights out/cocktail parties etc. are usually short enough that I can engineer a look that doesn't need fiddling, so I enjoy making up for those.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Christy said:
How about painting the nails? I rarely ever paint my fingernails because it's such a pain. No matter how long I wait for them to dry I always seem to mess them up. ...

Have you tried this stuff? I am amazed at how well it works!

main.php

I can put on a base coat, 2 layers of color, and top coat, waiting only about 3 minutes between each coat, then spray it with this and they don't smudge! I am always rushing to get ready so I love it. Of course, I don't try to do things like putting on the girdle or gloves for another half hour or so, but it is a big improvement over air drying, and not messy like the liquid oil versions. And moisturizes the nails too!

amynbebes

New in Town
Not a complaint about part of my beauty routine but more of a complaint about my jealousy of something that lacks from it ;) My 14 yr old daughter has gorgeous wavy hair that she straightens the heck out of regularly and my baby has gorgeous spiral curls that you can literally sit there and shape them into different styles (too bad he's a boy). Me? At best I get one part of my hair that will flip out all wonky if I happen to sleep on it wrong, otherwise it's straight as a board and not good at taking curl.

Lenore

Practically Family
amynbebes said:
Not a complaint about part of my beauty routine but more of a complaint about my jealousy of something that lacks from it ;) My 14 yr old daughter has gorgeous wavy hair that she straightens the heck out of regularly and my baby has gorgeous spiral curls that you can literally sit there and shape them into different styles (too bad he's a boy). Me? At best I get one part of my hair that will flip out all wonky if I happen to sleep on it wrong, otherwise it's straight as a board and not good at taking curl.

Oh, I'm with you! My daughter has the most beautiful curly curly hair that will accept any shape you want to throw at it. I'm almost mournful of the day she'll come to me and ask for a flat iron...

Christy

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
Have you tried this stuff? I am amazed at how well it works!

main.php

I can put on a base coat, 2 layers of color, and top coat, waiting only about 3 minutes between each coat, then spray it with this and they don't smudge! I am always rushing to get ready so I love it. Of course, I don't try to do things like putting on the girdle or gloves for another half hour or so, but it is a big improvement over air drying, and not messy like the liquid oil versions. And moisturizes the nails too!

I haven't tried this, but I'll definitely have to pick some up! Thank you for the recommendation.

On a side note, the herbal essences spray gel that I bought and tried worked wonderfully, I've now switched from lottabody.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Christy said:
I haven't tried this, but I'll definitely have to pick some up! Thank you for the recommendation.

On a side note, the herbal essences spray gel that I bought and tried worked wonderfully, I've now switched from lottabody.

How did the spray gel leave your hair?
I like that its in a spray.. hmmmm

Christy

One of the Regulars
LelaViavonie said:
How did the spray gel leave your hair?
I like that its in a spray.. hmmmm

I started with damp hair so it wouldn't make my hair crunchy. There were some spots that came out a little crunchy but it was because I sprayed too much in those spots, but they easily brushed out to soft hair. I liked it because my hair didn't come out frizzy like when I'd use just water, and it wasn't difficult to use like lottabody. Also, it didn't leave my hands sticky or slimy.

Lenore

Practically Family
Christy said:
I started with damp hair so it wouldn't make my hair crunchy. There were some spots that came out a little crunchy but it was because I sprayed too much in those spots, but they easily brushed out to soft hair. I liked it because my hair didn't come out frizzy like when I'd use just water, and it wasn't difficult to use like lottabody. Also, it didn't leave my hands sticky or slimy.

Let us know how long the results last in comparison! :)

Christy

One of the Regulars
Lenore said:
Let us know how long the results last in comparison! :)

It seems that it lasts the same as Lottabody. However, I think my hair is a freak of nature! I can go three or four days with one set. I just go to sleep on it and the next day brush it out and it looks fine. My hair is naturally curly though and is really thick, so that might be why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24