Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty?

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I love hearing all your views. sheeplady's words are touching. The people I love are beautiful, and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise.

Juliet

A-List Customer
I think there's also the factor that people look far less attentively at other people these days. If you just glance at a person/image, it's easily just the surgical enhancement, or a makeup job in itself that grasps attention (fleeting as it is) and hardly anyone thinks about why that was what they noticed. Less and less notice that a person's smile is kind, or that they have a dignified bearing, which personally for me, are very attractive qualities.

At the same time, there's a difference between beauty and attractiveness - only it's also personal for everyone. I find a lot of people attractive. Yet beautiful for me are for example Gene Tierney, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly.
The example from the other side - many, many people find Victoria Beckham stunningly beautiful, and while I wouldn't go as far as calling her ugly, but not even good looking either.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
At the same time, there's a difference between beauty and attractiveness - only it's also personal for everyone. I find a lot of people attractive. Yet beautiful for me are for example Gene Tierney, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly.
The example from the other side - many, many people find Victoria Beckham stunningly beautiful, and while I wouldn't go as far as calling her ugly, but not even good looking either.

Victoria Beckham, stunning?! Blech! Stunned, maybe, as she seems to be capable of but one facial expression! She is a skeleton that pouts!

Like some of the previous posters, my idea of beauty is pretty skew-whiff, and always has been. I find Edward G. Robinson beautiful, mostly due to how he was capable of expressing emotion through those "unattractive" features. Tom Cruise, for example, I would jump the couch over, but only to get away from him. So many of the modern celebs that are being foisted upon us as beautiful, I find pretty plain, or over- cosmetically enhanced.

I think beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder - there is so much more to it than symmetry or mathematical formulae.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I think that even with classicly beautiful people not everone agrees. I think Ava Gardner was the most beautiful Woman ever but I don't think Marilyn Monroe or Grace Kelly were all that amazing though most people would think I'm crazy.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I also disagree with the original post and agree with Drappa.

To me "extremely beautiful" is not always extremely beautiful. The standard of classical beauty is cultural. What pleases my eye as beautiful in humanity and art is probably completely different to what you hold as beautiful.

I find quirky faces with peculiar features beautiful. Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Clark Gable, all were made INTO a golden age standard of beauty, but you'd find many a lovely flaw in their faces too.

OT - Holy crap Inky! I love the blue hair on you! It makes your skin glow!

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I agree with a lot of what's being said here. While I do have a specific physical "type" that I'm extremely attracted to (Ex. glasses, angular features, nice hair), it does a LOT more for me when the guy is interesting and has certain things in common with me. I have genuine crushes on Hugh Hefner and Dan Akyroyd for just that reason, even though physically they are far from perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn