Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I'm not disinclined to have a gander at the lovely ladies modeling those berets.

My Step Father and his family are from Mundaka, Spain and the current city they reside in, Boise, has a fairly large Basque community, so it's nice to hear folks talking about the culture here. I do not know much about the culture, but I do remember my step fathers red beret, he's had it since he was a young man. Never let me touch the thing.

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
donnc said:
Of course, this is about the beret with no leather sweatband.

The local hat shop stocks some French berets with leather sweatbands, very nice - I suppose that if the beret material doesn't also have to serve in place of the sweatband, it can be a little finer. But size was very tricky, and the stitches were rather uncomfortable. Without the sweatband, you may safely order one with confidence that it will fit, and it will be cheaper and more comfortable.

I must admit that I really detest sweatbands made from leather:
-they get soaking wet with sweat
-take ages to dry even in a warm and dry room
-feel cold and clammy ones you remove the hat even for a short while.
In short, IMHO they are as outdated as is cotton for this purpose. Its strange that the hat-industry doesnt look into the vast area of man-made fibres to produce sweatbands that actually wick good and dry fast.
But, I must admit, making a living out of selling high-teach gear for outdoor- and mountaineering purposes, I am a bit biased there. (Although I do wear merino wool as underwear nine out of twelve month a year)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
French Beret.

A fresh and nippy Autumnal day demands a good cup of freshly ground coffee in the garden!! Great way to chill after work ;)

BERET006.jpg

BERET002.jpg

BERET008.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Douglas...

Firstly GREAT seeing you my friend as NYC seems too long ago now. Beret looks great and functional on youin the snow. Handy piece of headwear and stylish!

Daan

Vendor
Alternative for Ebay

Thanks to an article in the Times, I came upon Ebid - an on-line auction site that is very similar to Ebay and with many berets on auction (and not just the ones I listed). The site seems to be more British oriented and lists numerous interesting vintage UK berets, both Basque and military berets.

Phoenix_400

New in Town
I can't stand the look of an unshaped beret. Of course, considerin' where I live, shaped maroon or green is the norm. There's only one beret I've ever worn....Its been sittin' in a footlocker for a few years since I ETS'ed, but here ya go! Always preferred my boonie hat though. Just say 'NO!' to the beret tan.:p

Also, Rainy days are known as good beret shapin' weather!
Beret.jpg

Daan

Vendor
There are clear links between berets and rugby, but I can't find it's origins...
At+Millenium+Stadium+Cardiff+before+Wales+vs+France.jpg

Of course, it's an easy one where the French are concerned - supporters of national teams tend to dress up with national and symbolic paraphernalia that are otherwise hardly seen in the respective country, but also in Wales there are a lot of rugby supporters (and players!) wearing a (red) beret. Where does it come from?
French+rugby.jpg

Many vintage photographs depict French players wearing a beret while playing (in the 1920's and 30's).
rugby+beret+001.JPG
rugby+beret+002.JPG

Even in New Zealand -far from a beret wearing nation- berets are often seen in rugby stadiums. I acquired this plato grande with Maori design (a stylized traditional NZ fern leaf with rugby ball), through an on-line auction, but again, no one can tell me where this custom originates. The "RugbyMad.co.nz" doesn't exist anymore...). What I did find so far, is pretty much here on my blog, and it's not much. Any suggestions anyone?
Rugby+sevens+French.jpg

Toothless

New in Town
As to the links between berets and rugby, about 15 years ago I lived in Pau, France (near the Basque region) and I worked briefly for the company Blancq Olibet (in the town of Nay), which makes the Bakarra brand of berets and supplies berets for most of the French military (or they used to). The year I was there the Pau rugby team won the French national rugby championship, which was a huge deal. That night, the mayor of Pau issued a decree that all bars could stay open all night, and the whole town partied until dawn. About 2am the rugby team marched through the packed bar district showing off the new trophy, and most of the team was wearing berets. I was a young guy in my early 20's, and the whole scene made quite an impression.

Anyway, for anybody who heads to the Pyrenees, there is a beret museum at the Blanc Olibet factory in Nay. The factory dates back to the early 1800's, and has an amazing history of making hats and other clothing textiles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo