Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Edward

Bartender
@Edward — thanks for these cool posts. The factory tour definitely looks cool and seems to have had a lasting impression on you.

Did you buy any berets while you were there? Keepsakes?

Yes, it was great fun. The factory shop is open to the public, but I believe we got a bit of a special event with getting the tour - it was organised by the groom (the guy on the right of the photo in the pale-blue toweling after-swim suit, one of his own creations.) Mickael is originally from Oleron (his family are still there), though he works on Savile Row these days, I believe he's still at Huntsman.

The wife and I bought a black beret each, one with a sewn-in sweatband in, I think, a synthetic 'leather', very nice. Mine has been worn hard and still holds up well. Don't seem to have a decent photo of it anywhere, but there's this:

1645124639559.jpeg

The badge is an addition of my own', an earlier version of this from The Chap:

1645125017795.png

I like how it looks on there.

I have since picked up a few more Laulhere berets in burgundy, grey and navy (the latter being one of the big 'Alpin' models); I think I need a brown one next... Maybe a green.

Fern

One of the Regulars
Fond memories ahead. When I was traveling through Catalonia I was introduced to a Basque liquor well known in Navarra, called Pacharán.

A2E8A3BB-35FA-464A-A33C-958FA449BE0B.jpeg

This liquor is made with small plums/cherries called “endrinas” that are local to Basque Country. What was an unexpected pleasure was how similar the liquor tastes to one that I am very familiar with from Colombia, “Aguardiente.”

198F58ED-CDCC-40DF-AD3C-5E9B4D7EF5C7.jpeg

This was yet another happy coincidence between Spanish Basque and Paisa people from Antioquia, Colombia (the culture I come from). There’s a whole bulk of research I did before and after my trip to learn more about the connections between the Basque and the Paisa. If anyone is curious, here’s a cultural page about this historical context and phenomenon. But, no, Paisa people don’t wear boinas — it’s too hot in Antioquia to wear wool hats — even if Medellin (the capital of Antioquia) is called the City of Eternal Spring.

But, back to Pacharán!
80B44C5F-2D4B-4583-B58D-D9085AE96A4E.jpeg
52C1F18C-6527-4382-8CF6-C96418E55B70.jpeg

I found the liquor sold in supermarkets there and of course I drank this the whole rest of the trip, celebrating at each of the places we stayed.

Happy Early Friday!

E3A20F61-A54D-4DD8-AB35-F89D211A2CE4.jpeg

quikrick

One Too Many
My Dad was a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) in the early 1960's - early 1970's then went on to bigger and better things still in Law Enforcement. He passed away November 2021. I have a small badge pin with the name of the town where he started his career as a LEO, I want to wear it on my beret in his honor.
I've seen that @Edward , you wear your Chap pin on the front and @Fern you wear your Pyrrha pin slightly to the front above your ear.
I removed the little round "L" pin that came with the Laulhere beret and placed the badge exactly where the L pin was. It's at a quarter point of the diameter.
I don't know if there is a that's a good place, or is the placement of a pin/badge purely a personal preference?
IMG_7180.jpeg
IMG_7182.jpeg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
My Dad was a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) in the early 1960's - early 1970's then went on to bigger and better things still in Law Enforcement. He passed away November 2021. I have a small badge pin with the name of the town where he started his career as a LEO, I want to wear it on my beret in his honor.
I've seen that @Edward , you wear your Chap pin on the front and @Fern you wear your Pyrrha pin slightly to the front above your ear.
I removed the little round "L" pin that came with the Laulhere beret and placed the badge exactly where the L pin was. It's at a quarter point of the diameter.
I don't know if there is a that's a good place, or is the placement of a pin/badge purely a personal preference? View attachment 403240 View attachment 403241

The military seem to like them above the left eye. Laulhere, going by the label and the ribbon in the band, tend to put them to the side (though not all models in the Laulhere line have them; I have both with and without). On a beret where I've deliberately added something as a deliberate parody of military / para-military style, I tend to stick 'em on the front (the Chap Star being an obvious one to go 'Che' with). Otherwise, I'm more inclined to place it by the bow than the badge if it come one it. Berets with an inner band, the bow goes at the back on me sane as a brimmed hat; if the manufacturer has attached a badge, it falls where they intend it. One of my favourites to wear is a Laulhere which is unlined and unbadged - I just throw that one on any which way. That one is a bugundy / red, a colour I like but am careful where I wear it lest it look military. I did have a Bowie lightning flash on it for a bit, but took it off as the wife kept worrying it "looked a bit Fascist". Typically in wearing I pull the body of a beret to the side over my right ear; I don't remember off hand where this means the Laulhere badge ends up, but if it's on that side, then it doesn't get seen much in wearing. I'd prefer they did them without an attached manufacturer badge, but it's not a deal breaker.

Fern

One of the Regulars
The military seem to like them above the left eye. Laulhere, going by the label and the ribbon in the band, tend to put them to the side (though not all models in the Laulhere line have them; I have both with and without). On a beret where I've deliberately added something as a deliberate parody of military / para-military style, I tend to stick 'em on the front (the Chap Star being an obvious one to go 'Che' with). Otherwise, I'm more inclined to place it by the bow than the badge if it come one it. Berets with an inner band, the bow goes at the back on me sane as a brimmed hat; if the manufacturer has attached a badge, it falls where they intend it. One of my favourites to wear is a Laulhere which is unlined and unbadged - I just throw that one on any which way. That one is a bugundy / red, a colour I like but am careful where I wear it lest it look military. I did have a Bowie lightning flash on it for a bit, but took it off as the wife kept worrying it "looked a bit Fascist". Typically in wearing I pull the body of a beret to the side over my right ear; I don't remember off hand where this means the Laulhere badge ends up, but if it's on that side, then it doesn't get seen much in wearing. I'd prefer they did them without an attached manufacturer badge, but it's not a deal breaker.

Hey @Edward — check out this post below Daan put up back in 2020 about the reason the military has that a history of pulling the beret to the Left.

It's an interesting story actually; the relatively small Basque berets were/are no hindrance to aiming a gun, but the very large "Tartes" of the Chasseurs Alpins would get in the way of the right eye when pulled to the right.
upload_2020-9-16_11-10-27.png

Since most people, including Chasseurs, are right-handed, it was made a rule to pull the tarte to the left.

Personally, I stay away from wearing my boinas in a manner that might evoke military associations or pulled back like Ché, and definitely no stars of any size or kind!

Early pages of this thread were filled with debates about ex-US Army vets griping about having to wear a beret and the informs changes in the US military. I served in the US Army from 91-95’ so I missed out on all the uniform changes that happened with Desert Storm and Iraq. This thread was/is super educational!

Edward

Bartender
Hey @Edward — check out this post below Daan put up back in 2020 about the reason the military has that a history of pulling the beret to the Left.

Personally, I stay away from wearing my boinas in a manner that might evoke military associations or pulled back like Ché, and definitely no stars of any size or kind!

Early pages of this thread were filled with debates about ex-US Army vets griping about having to wear a beret and the informs changes in the US military. I served in the US Army from 91-95’ so I missed out on all the uniform changes that happened with Desert Storm and Iraq. This thread was/is super educational!

Ah, thanks, I'd not seen that early post. Makes sense the military tradition would be the reverse of how I wear mine, as it'll be based on being right-handed and thus the right eye as the shooting eye; as a southpaw, I'm the reverse.

It's interesting how the beret spread across the worlds' militaries. I've often speculated that simple cost was part of the picture - doubtless a garrison cap / side cap is cheaper to produce, but a touch less practical.

Mm25

One Too Many
Just returned from a winter hike by the river. At 12.5 inches across, this beret provides plenty of sun protection, although for daily use I think a 11-12 inch looks a bit more normal to an American eye. Mine anyway.
543A3304-7ADA-4107-B431-B330CB61F4C7.jpeg

Fern

One of the Regulars
Just returned from a winter hike by the river. At 12.5 inches across, this beret provides plenty of sun protection, although for daily use I think a 11-12 inch looks a bit more normal to an American eye. Mine anyway.
View attachment 403573
I’m with you on the 11-12” range feeling right. I have the 1858 in 13” and it’s definitely the larges I’ll ever wear. I’ve been thinking about even smaller ones, like a 10”!

Edward

Bartender
I’m with you on the 11-12” range feeling right. I have the 1858 in 13” and it’s definitely the larges I’ll ever wear. I’ve been thinking about even smaller ones, like a 10”!

The smaller ones have a great fifties vibe to them, imo. I have a Laulhere in grey in that smaller size, and it has a slightly different vibe to it than one with a wider body. Very beatnik still. Tempted to try the SJC beret they're doing now; they have them in brown and navy, two colours I don't yet have among my berets...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn