Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Originally Posted by PADDY
Bolthead, nice beret. But you need to shape it with hot/cold water, and really mould that baby to your head. Do a search on some photos of modern day British Paras or Marines and that'll give you an idea of 'the look.' Might be worth taking the Tanker's (Panzer) Badge off, just makes it more versatile to wear (rather than paramilitary). Nice one!

Thanks Paddy, will do.

I found a few tutorials on YouTube, thanks for the advice Paddy, much appreciated. I went ahead and removed the pin,(in safe keeping), shaved it, soaked it, shaped it and now drying. What a difference. I would've been very hesitant to soak a wool hat in fear of it shrinking, especially in hot water, but I seen a European military tutorial where he actually boils the beret, I was shocked. I didn't go to that extreme though.

L'Onset

Familiar Face
Anyway, in France a very few people wear Beret.
It's associated to farmer, stockbreeder or... old people. If I was to wear a true beret (not a modern one) I would be laugh at.
So you won't find a lot of french people wearing Beret, it's a myth...

It happens the same in Spain. Berets are seen as related with old age peasants, shepherds and so. But the truth is that today, these people moreoften wear baseball caps with "John Deere" logos and similar, and berets are worn by people pretending to look vintage and/or related to the traditional countryside, nationalists or intellectuals. I have a beret a Elósegui one that I bought and used a lot when in University. I don't wear it anymore, maybe because I don't want to hear silly comments.
I started wearing a newsboy cap and collegues started joking and making comments like "wow, nice beret grandad", I've been wearing caps for three winters now and a sraw hat in summer, and comments are finish. May be the time to resurrect my beret is arrived.

This is the idea of how a boina-wearer is seen in Spain by "modern" and "city" people:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NQ9FZF1ff...5kw/s1600/EL+PALETO+DE+PUEBLO+%28GALLO%29.jpg

Nevertheless, berets can be as smart and formal as fedoras.
Here is another example: Dr Marañon (with fedora) and Pio Baroja (beret) two great writers from early XX Ctry in Spain
http://piobaroja.gipuzkoakultura.net/graficos/pio_baroja_mara.jpg

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
It happens the same in Spain. Berets are seen as related with old age peasants, shepherds and so. But the truth is that today, these people moreoften wear baseball caps with "John Deere" logos...

Child-Buenos-Aires-420x0.jpg

Yes, sad but true. But it is a European thing; berets -boinas- are very popular in Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil. Originally brought there by the many immigrants from the Basque country (Spanish and French) and now widely adopted by the gauchos, the cowboys of the South American plains. Every region has it's own distinct colour, diameters vary per region too. If anything, the beret is a macho symbol here.
BARONE_ARGENTINA_014_bw.jpg

As for France, the last two years show a big increase in local beret sales, supposedly because of the financial crisis, people looking for their own identity, etc.
There is hope!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
When I see a man 'sport' a beret really well, it looks *damn good!* and much better than a run-of-the-mill baseball cap! If you wear it right (and there are some great photos in this thread of guys looking pretty *hard* in their berets), then believe me, no-one is going to come up to you and make a silly comment. I guarantee, I have always had interest shown, but *never* a silly flippant comment. Maybe body language and 'how' you wear it, has something to do with it.

Oh, and don't be afraid to get it wet. In fact, when I was hill walking in Provence two years ago, I frequently soaked it in fountains in the villages or in rivers, and then popped it back on so that it kept my head cool (keeps you looking cool too!!).

THE PHOTO BELOW doesn't show a man who you'd readily mess with and say, "Mate, you look old fashioned and rather silly..!" Actually he's got a Michael Corleone thing going on there and looks *damned fine!*
"]
Child-Buenos-Aires-420x0.jpg

Last edited:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This was a mushroom looking beret until I gave it the water treatment. Of course, this is a military beret, and hence the military shaping and you may want to make 'your' beret 'more of' a civilian look, maybe by creating a peak towards the front (?).
BERETGREEN.jpg

Daan

Vendor
5369671957_e2b20e3eba_z.jpg

I guess I just received Daan's last Grey Beret. Tolosa Tupida in Merino Wool from Argentina via New Zealand.

That's right, Rlk, but the new stock from Buenos Aires is in with plenty of grey Tolosa Tupida's (and also again in white, red, maroon and green) and sun-faded cotton Tolosa Tupida's in blue and green.

Daan

Vendor
Le béret par Magalie Fournier

An interesting documentary by Magalie Fournier about the Musée du Béret in Nay, including an interview with Jean Olibet (from the Olibet family, beret manufacturers since 1819). In French, but with some good imagery for the non-French speakers:
[video]http://dai.ly/fNn4he[/video]

A new black Elosegui boina Super Lujo beret from Daan. I've had a warm spot for berets since my art school days when I wore a small beret and a big attitude. 8^) This is my first bandless beret. It sure feels good and leaves no headlines to say "look what I wore today!"

elosegui3.jpg

elosegui2.jpg

Last edited:

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OK, what's the correct beret etiquette?

I know what the military etiquette is, fold to the right, insignia over left eye, and wear it an inch above the brow.

What about the civilian way, is it the same, does it matter? Will I insult anyone wearing it the way the military wear it?

Daan

Vendor
OK, what's the correct beret etiquette?
I know what the military etiquette is, fold to the right, insignia over left eye, and wear it an inch above the brow.
What about the civilian way, is it the same, does it matter? Will I insult anyone wearing it the way the military wear it?

I believe most people who wear a beret don't care a bit about etiquette; they wear and express themselves the way they like and don't want to be told how their hat should be worn.
But, there have been conventions about wearing the beret. From the '30 to the 60's of last century, French and Spanish beret wearers would often show their political allegiance by having the 'flight' on the left (lit. being a left-winger) or the right (for a right-winger).
I don't believe any of these 'fashions' carries any weight these days.
Colours and sizes (diameter) have significance in Argentina; either relating to the region where the beret-wearer comes from or his political allegiance (e.g. the white beret for the Radical Party, The horse-breakers wear the “Boina Vuelo Chico”, in La Pampa and the provinces of Patagonia people wear the “Vuelo or Plato Grande”, while in the province of Entre Rios people wear the "Espinosa".
In Corrientes, people use the colours red and French blue because of the two traditional political parties).
Boina%2BBlanca%2BLeandro%2BAlem.png
Other than that, I don't know about any "rules" on how you should wear your beret (and personally, I'm quite happy about that).

Last edited:

Heinrich

New in Town
Well, and that's exactly one of the most important reasons, why I love wearing my Basque Beret! Most of the time, I wear it flat on my head with the "plate" dragged straightly to the front, just like a peaked cap. But sometimes I also wear it on the left or right side. There's no rule, it just depends on the mood I'm in.

Kestrel

New in Town
I too wear mine pulled towards the front, the way it's typically done in northern Spain and the Basque lands in both sides of Spain and France with berets of larger diameters. I've always liked berets since I was a kid. My grandfather used to wear one often, so perhaps that's part of the reason why I like them. Strange as it seems since we are all Canarians in my family and berets aren't the usual norm in the Canary Islands. Then again, I was told my grandfather spent a few years in Galicia and may have picked up the habit of wearing a beret from there.

Anyway, I have an 11 inch Elósegui Super Lujo and a 12.5 inch Super Lujo in blue that I just received from Ron Greer, and I also have an Elósegui Exposición Tupida with a headband that unfortunately doesn't get much wear simply because it's fit is a little on the large size for me. Like Ron and Daan, I prefer berets without a leather headband because you can always be assured of a perfect fit and in the end they are just more comfortable for extended wear. I'm also awaiting the arrival of one of Daan's Argentine cotton berets to wear as the weather gets warmer. Living in the southern United States in an experience especially in summer when it feels like Vietnam, so I will definitely appreciate having a nice cotton beret.

Last edited:

Corto

A-List Customer
I have a Vrai Basque which I wear pulled to straight to the back. I'm new to berets so it still feels a little weird wearing it out in public. ( I was born and raised in baseball caps). I made the mistake of pairing it with a field jacket yesterday. I looked a little too much like a Provo. Won't be doing that again. Still though, I'm enjoying wearing it.

Daan

Vendor
What would a "Provo" be ?

"Provo" was a Dutch counterculture movement in the mid-1960s that focused on provoking violent responses from authorities using non-violent bait. It was preceded by the "nozem" movement and followed by the hippie movement. Unlike these two movements, "Provo" was actually founded, on May 25, 1965, by Robert Jasper Grootveld, an anti-smoking activist, and Roel van Duyn and Rob Stolk, both anarchists. "Provo" was officially disbanded on May 13, 1967.
provo12.jpg

I guess, there were a few activists wearing berets at the time...

Corto

A-List Customer
"Provo" was a Dutch counterculture movement in the mid-1960s that focused on provoking violent responses from authorities using non-violent bait.
I was actually thinking more along the lines of "Provisional" IRA, but that'll do...Interesting tidbit Daan... Still haven't found quite the perfect "early" Spring jacket to wear the Vrai Basque with...

Effingham

A-List Customer
I too wear mine pulled towards the front, the way it's typically done in northern Spain and the Basque lands in both sides of Spain and France with berets of larger diameters.

This is a part of why I've always thought the British "touring cap" was an attempt to overcomplicate the beret. ;)

Kestrel

New in Town
This is a part of why I've always thought the British "touring cap" was an attempt to overcomplicate the beret. ;)

LOL! Yes, I suppose you're right. Although I think touring caps look rather smart too. I'd take a beret or touring cap any day over a baseball cap (no offence to those who like ball caps). ;)

Effingham

A-List Customer
LOL! Yes, I suppose you're right. Although I think touring caps look rather smart too. I'd take a beret or touring cap any day over a baseball cap (no offence to those who like ball caps). ;)

We are definitely on the same page. :)

On the stupidity of baseball cap fashion:

baseball-cap-fail-owned.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy