Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

quikrick

One Too Many
IMG_1602.JPG
IMG_1553.jpeg

Le Beret Francais, with the cabillou rouge.
This is a light and cool beret, perfect for the mild fall weather.

Daan

Vendor

NEW: Warszawski Exclusives​

Brand new and available only from today are the Warszawski Exclusives!
These berets are -exclusively- made for South Pacific Berets, based on the standard 29.5cm Warszawski Szyty and come in three stunning colours: Hunter-Green, Earth-Brown and Crimson-Maroon.
The berets are fitted with a soft real leather headband and viscose lining.
1665617827954.png 1665617991215.png
The Warszawski Exclusives are available in an expanded range of sizes, from 56-SMALL to 64-3XL.
1665617895293.png 1665617926806.png
1665617957604.png

The Warszawski berets are definitely the best value-for-money one can possibly find in handmade, woolen berets, at prices between $44.50 and $49.50!

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
The other day I had the pleasure to receive two berets from Manufacture de Bérets, a brown one with ligette and a black one with leather headband, both 11p.
I like them a lot, both are of great quality.I had asked about the brown color here before. I am not disappointed: A very dark, chestnut brown, nearly black under artificial light, and proabably hard to capture by camera.
Incoming now are a wintergreen mammoth and a white cotton beret from Daan.

Since I liked the Auloronesas so much, I am pondering to get a tarte from them, but I remember Kreissaege to comment that he considered his unwearable, being to soft and floppy for this size. Can anyone share experiences about Auloronesa's Béret dit Alpin?
well in my experience , the newer BA berets are softer maybe the conditioning or soap change, but i have seen them from dennis to sara and the older versions were definetly stiffer, now Elosegui are very stiff and priced at a lower price range,,,,,,but if you like the BA range there should still be some old stock available that Might be stiffer from certain sellers, Bérets Foulard Universel UN-LINED in a 12 pouce , personally i love the older versions myself, but soft berets are great, not a big fan of the 12inch but i have one in the Elosegui and i like the floppy but its thick so it not too floppy, but to get it that way i soaked it in water and shaped it , my thoughts anyway

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor

Theo Kley​

Boinero Exceptionel Theo Kley died 4 days ago...
1666124692732.png

Theodorus Johannes (Theo) Kley (1936 - October 15, 2022) was a Dutch visual artist and one of the founders of the “Deskundologies Laboratorium” (Experts Laboratory).
1666124705739.png

After the bombing of Rotterdam, Kley grew up in the southern Dutch city of Breda. There he trained as an instrument maker and goldsmith. From 1951 to 1955 did the four-year training as an industrial designer, illustrator and advertising designer at the Academy of Fine Arts Sint-Joost. From 1957 to 1960 he studied at the Jan van Eyck Academy in Maastricht.
1666124717212.png

From 1960 to 1964, Kley travelled through southern Europe, Turkey, Rhodesia and Kenya. He was inspired by the rock paintings of the Bushmen and had an exhibition in Rhodesia. After this period, he married the sculptress Josephine van den Bergh in 1964.
1666124726068.png

He settled on the Oudezijds Achterburgwal in Amsterdam. This city, and in particular the village of Ruigoord near the city, formed his base from then on. Kley created a huge roof garden on the roof of his house, which he would dismantle in 1996.
1666124735769.png
1666124746371.png

In 1968 Kley founded the “Eksoties Kietsj Konservaatoriejum” (Excotic Kitsch Conservatory) and in 1969 he was one of the founders of the Insect Sect. For this he collaborated with the dentist-artist Max Reneman and the violinist Hub Mathijsen.
1666124765729.png

In 1969, together with Roelof Kiers (VPRO-TV) and others, he wrote the television opera Mother what is wrong with this planet. In 1971 he founded the Experts Laboratory together with Max Reneman, Robert Jasper Grootveld, Hub Mathijsen and others.
1666124787530.png

In 1972 he founded the “Amsterdam Ballon Gezelschap” (Amsterdam Balloon Company) with Guus Boissevain, Aad van der Mijn, Rudolf Stokvis and the poet Leo van der Zalm.
1666124780425.png

From 1973 this "hard core of soft aviation" made trips from Ruigoord to Tibet, India and Mongolia with an old bus, called "airbus".

Daan

Vendor
Another boinero exceptionel has left us... Last month my friend Byung-hak Lee died at only 63.
1666756523328.png

Byung - hak Lee (58) was the man behind UNO Coffee and has been roasting and serving coffee for 40 years, an icon in Seoul.
1666756595521.png

His wasn't just a coffee house. Unlike other cafes, there were no juices, cookies, breads.., only coffee. Byung studied coffee roasting in Germany and opened his first coffee shop in Insadong (Korea); the poet of Heavenly Heaven and the monk Zhong Kwang were the regular guests of that time.
1666756615437.png

Byung - hak Lee was one of the three organizers of the Kangnung Coffee Festival in 2009 (and since held every year).
The coffee house is also a cultural space, Byung used to emphasize. Every Friday there wass a discussion with painters or artists from the theater.
1666756630798.png

Byung-hak Lee was not only an expert in coffee, but also an artist in his own right, a representative of the movie company Dust, a film director, and a screenwriter. He has worked with art director Oh Jae Won and made 10 short films. Some boineros may know Byung from his painting of another boinero; a painting that I cherished by using it on my business cards.
1666756694531.png

But more than anything else, he was an avid boinero; any day, inside and outside.

Another boinero exceptionel has left us... Last month my friend Byung-hak Lee died at only 63.
View attachment 459999
Byung - hak Lee (58) was the man behind UNO Coffee and has been roasting and serving coffee for 40 years, an icon in Seoul.
View attachment 460000
His wasn't just a coffee house. Unlike other cafes, there were no juices, cookies, breads.., only coffee. Byung studied coffee roasting in Germany and opened his first coffee shop in Insadong (Korea); the poet of Heavenly Heaven and the monk Zhong Kwang were the regular guests of that time.
View attachment 460001
Byung - hak Lee was one of the three organizers of the Kangnung Coffee Festival in 2009 (and since held every year).
The coffee house is also a cultural space, Byung used to emphasize. Every Friday there wass a discussion with painters or artists from the theater.
View attachment 460002
Byung-hak Lee was not only an expert in coffee, but also an artist in his own right, a representative of the movie company Dust, a film director, and a screenwriter. He has worked with art director Oh Jae Won and made 10 short films. Some boineros may know Byung from his painting of another boinero; a painting that I cherished by using it on my business cards.
View attachment 460003
But more than anything else, he was an avid boinero; any day, inside and outside.
Thanks for this story Daan.

Daan

Vendor
Despite having lived in New Zealand for well over 2 decades, I still find the concept of Christmas in mid-summer hard to get used to. The elevator music/X-mas carols in the supermarket, fake snow on windows and a good part of the population wearing jolly Santa hats don't help...
1668051048983.png
1668051161603.png

There are certainly good sides to it too though. A fine cold beer on the beach under a cotton beret, enjoying a pipe after X-mas lunch in the garden while wearing shorts and a cool bamboo shirt...
1668052503694.png

But still, nothing like watching some Basque reindeer go by on a wintry afternoon:
1668051860362.png

But whatever you do, wherever you are, in the heat or the cold, if you want your (gift)berets to arrive before Christmas this year, you'd better order now. The official sending cut-off dates given by NZ Post for parcels to the North America, Europe and Asia is 18 November; to Australia 23 November - that's not far away!
1668052890250.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ