Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Daan

Vendor
Being kind of a beret purist, I have not much sympathy for caps. But what if the cap is a beret?
Searching "berets" for a few minutes on the web and you'll get 100's of pictures of flat caps, newsboy caps, 6 and 8 panel caps, baker boy caps, but only few berets. All these caps are made of at least two pieces of fabric that are sewn together; a beret is made of one piece of knitted material, closed in a circular shape with the thread of the closure still sticking out at the center of the hat. Only then the knitted material gets felted. A peaked beret is just that, with a peak added to it!
Peaked berets became popular in the early 1950's in France, but production stopped some time during the '60's. Dutch painter and COBRA co-founder Corneille was one of the best known adepts.

Corneille5.gif
Corneille6.jpg

I have a couple of these old berets-with-peak in my collection, in brown and black. they are pretty hard to find these days; KANGOL used to make them too and sometimes a second hand pops up on Ebay.

a+one+off+sales+001.JPG

I feel very lucky to have finally found a source of these peaked berets; black, 100% pure wool in a one-size-fit-all model. And it seems I am not the only one with a liking for them; they sell so well that I am presently negotiating with a traditional beret manufacturer to have these custom made for South Pacific Berets (that'll be a while - I'll keep you updated on that...).

peaked%20beret%20mirror.jpg
peaked%20beret.jpg

Daan

Vendor
Hard to find these days: ads for berets. A lot more common in the 1940' - '60's.

I like this one, for Montgomery berets. This ad was published on 26 May, 1943, halfway into WWII. The Argentinean fashion store Harrods offered a black beret in Montgomery style to it's female clientele.
The vegetarian (and sworn enemy of snuff and alcohol) Marshal Bernhard Law Montgomery became of bit of an idol after his successful campaign against "desert fox" Field Marshal Erwin Rommel at the sand of El Alamein and Harrods had a good nose for what would do well with the women of Buenos Aires.

El+beret+Montgomery.jpg

Another good one is this -undated- ad from Hungary:

Magyar.jpg

Or these two from the US:

berets.jpg
newyorker-beret.jpg

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
Baskenmütze, or 'German berets'

Germany may not be the first country you'd think off, thinking about berets, but actually there has been a long tradition of beret-wearing and manufacturing in Germany.

One of the best known wearers was Ernst Reuter, the mayor of West Berlin during the first years of the Cold War.

With+the+legendary+beret+and+his+walking+stick+Ernst+Reuter+Zoo+at+the+station.+The+photo+is+undated..jpg
ernst_reuter1_200x279.jpg

Another fine example was Heinrich Böll, one of Germany's foremost post-war writers and humanist. His works have been dubbed "Trümmerliteratur"—the literature of the rubble. He was a leader of the German writers who tried to come to grips with the memory of the War, the Nazis, and the Holocaust—and the guilt that came with them.
Böll was a great advocate for the beret, or Baskenmütze.

kurt_wyss_heinrich_boll_19.jpg
boll.jpg

Needless to say, there are many more (like Eckhard Dietz, Edgar "**** America" Hilsenrath and Helena Koj, to name/show just a few).

eckhard+dietz.jpg
5da451d098.jpg
l.jpg

More interesting I find my "discovery" of a small beret manufacturer in the former G.D.R., making some of the most comfortable berets I have ever worn. The base (felted wool) material is made in France and then created into berets that have a small rim sewed on the headopening of the beret, finished with a narrow leather band. This way, the beret is lifted a few millimeters from the head and adding great comfort.

Daan%202.jpg
German%20beret,%20silk%20lining%203.jpg
German%20beret,%20silk%20lining%202.jpg.opt372x248o0,0s372x248.jpg

I haven't stopped wearing my sample once, since it's arrival a few weeks back and eagerly await the arrival of the first stock I instantly ordered. Hopefully available by the second week of May at South Pacific Berets.

Daan

Vendor
It's getting a bit boring, Fedora Lounge pages full with my posts... Still, I can't help but sharing my childlike enthusiasm for the Baskenmütze, or German berets, which are now available at South Pacific Berets.

ESCO+Black+&+Navy.JPG

I am used to change berets multiple times a week, if not per day, but haven't worn any other beret since I received my sample of this German hand-made headgear. These berets are made in the old hatters town of Luckenwalde, in the former G.D.R.
A rich history of hat manufacturing dating back to the 17th century and also of architecture: Erich Mendelsohn designed the hat factory (1921 - 1923), a state of the art building and milestone in Expressionist architecture at the time.

HatFactory.png
Luckenwalde_Hutfabrik_Dach.jpg

Now I have to decide whether to wear black or navy; always tough choices to make...

ESCO+Navy.JPG
German+beret%252C+silk+lining+3.jpg

MikePotts

Practically Family
I too, although I have nothing to add that would be helpful on the subject, always enjoy reading your posts on the subject. Keep it up. I'm thinking about trying to form a little Petanque club here.........so maybe more sales! ;)

MP

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
Ah, thanks for the positive comments - much appreciated.

I'd better post some more then, like these photographs of Pétanque; a stimulus for MP.

Petanque3.jpg

Pétanque is a form of boules where the goal is, while standing inside a starting circle with both feet on the ground, to throw hollow metal balls as close as possible to a small wooden ball called a cochonnet (literally "piglet") or jack. It is also sometimes called a bouchon (literally "cork") or le petit ("the small one").

6655233195_5cab8600df_z.jpg

The game is normally played on hard dirt or gravel, but can also be played on grass, sand or other surfaces. Similar games are bocce and bowls. The current form of the game originated in 1907 in La Ciotat, in Provence, in southern France. The English and French name pétanque comes from la petanca in the Provençal dialect of the Occitan language, deriving from the expression pès tancats, meaning "feet together" or more exactly "feet anchored".

petangue2.jpg

The casual form of the game of pétanque is played by about 17 million people in France, mostly during their summer vacations. There are about 375,000 players licensed with the Fédération Française de Pétanque et Jeu Provençal (FFPJP) and some 3,000 in England.

petangue.jpg

Another 20,000 or so play in Quebec. Additionally, pétanque clubs have arisen in cities throughout the United States, Australia, New Zealand and other countries in recent years. Béret and boules are an excellent combination!

Daan

Vendor
I was contacted by Brazilian blogger "Gaucho Gaucho" about some pictures of beret-wearing gaucho's and was introduced to his blog: Guia da Bombacha. An enormous wealth of information on 'anything gaucho', with many historic photographs. I'd highly recommend a visit!
A few of his pictures, I'll post here, starting with these gaucho's from Southern Chile:

190443_1613681502153_1239758271_31354514_4262153_n.jpg
2118_1019090517750_1239758271_30083917_676_n.jpg
4473_1071821315987_1239758271_30196418_2740696_n.jpg

And look at these nice pic's here:

39605_1329220525222_1672255890_650746_8007142_n.jpg
172291_1465638975598_1672255890_884925_1534134_o.jpg
272716_2203268210605_1514348373_2490218_3133172_o.jpg

Not surprising, most of the berets pictured on the blog, vintage and modern, are Tolosa Tupida's and Espinosa's.

Enjoy.

Daan

Vendor
Espinosa+24+Red.JPG

Espinosa 24

Most berets sold by South Pacific Berets go to the US, the UK, Germany, Australia and Canada (in that order).

rad+red.jpg

Czech Radiovka 265

My statistics tell me that practically none of the Red Berets go there, with the exception of Australia (I have to admit, the Aussies are more daring and unconventional, when it comes to berets...).

TT+Cotton+Red+l.JPG

Tolosa Tupida with Moroccan Leather Headband

Interestingly, it's not a world-wide phenomenon. Red berets are among the most popular in South America, where they are worn mainly by the gaucho's and during equestrian events.

enfants-gauchos_620x465.jpg
Engarupados.jpg

Gauchos, Argentina

And then, of course, there are the many festivals, in France and Spain, where a red beret is compulsory gear.
Irun+4.jpg

Plato+Grande+Red+l.JPG

Tolosa Tupida Plato Grande 35cm

I have to admit that I don't wear my red berets that often, but I am very fond of my little French beret with the logo of motor club Les Petrolettes Dauphinoises.
Petrolettes+rouge.jpg

My small diameter Petrolettes beret - not for sale!
To promote RED, I'll have all models on sale for a short period of time, and only through The Beret Project!

Daan

Vendor
I posted about the peaked beret previously on the Fedora Lounge and I never expected to see so many people interested in this kind of beret. The small supply of black peaked berets I had sold out quickly and it was hard work to source more. I guess some find it just a bit easier to wear a beret with a small peak than the traditional Basque beret (as per my mantra: "a cap is for people who don't dare to wear a beret").

Brown+peak.jpg
Grey%20peak%203.jpg.opt202x196o0,0s202x196.jpg
Grey%20peak%204.jpg.opt205x192o0,0s205x192.jpg
Navy+peak+2.jpg

Looking for manufacturers of these berets, I came upon a small company in the USA: Hoodlums, who were able to re-supply my stock with US (hand)made peaked berets. Great hats, a pleasure to wear, but interestingly, they somehow make me think strongly of the 1917 Soviet Revolution...

5622850-vladimir-ilyich-lenin-was-a-russian-revolutionary-bolshevik-leader-communist-politician-principal-le.jpg
bullet-Lenin-last-underground,_1917.jpg
leninlr01gr.jpg

Just have a look at these old photographs and compare.

Last edited:

Moca

New in Town
I guess some find it just a bit easier to wear a beret with a small peak than the traditional Basque beret (as per my mantra: "a cap is for people who don't dare to wear a beret").

ha, call me a coward; i just enjoy these peaked berets! they give a different feel, a bit more masculinity, as indeed, lenin, trotsky and their compatriots knew very well.
what you think of this picture?

trotsky_poster_destroy_verm.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn