Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

WarHorse

New in Town
I'm, unfortunately very biased. The Army went to black berets as the standard uniform headgear. I hated it for a couple reasons:
1) It does absolutely nothing to share the eyes ( I was stationed at Ft Hood, which I think is somehow much closer to the sun then the rest of the Earth)
2) A wool beret is extremely hot when out in the sun for an extended period of time
3) A majority of the force couldn't wear the PC correctly so they clearly never spent the time or effort to wear a beret correctly (most walked around looking like they had black balloons on their heads)
I'm glad I don't wear it with the uniform any longer and don't think that I would ever where one in civilian attire. Just me 2 cents.

RJR

WH,I thought the same thing....I purchased a couple of Daan's peaked berets and find myself rethinking the beret thing.

Daan

Vendor
I'm, unfortunately very biased. The Army went to black berets as the standard uniform headgear. I hated it for a couple reasons:
1) It does absolutely nothing to share the eyes ( I was stationed at Ft Hood, which I think is somehow much closer to the sun then the rest of the Earth)
2) A wool beret is extremely hot when out in the sun for an extended period of time
3) A majority of the force couldn't wear the PC correctly so they clearly never spent the time or effort to wear a beret correctly (most walked around looking like they had black balloons on their heads)
I'm glad I don't wear it with the uniform any longer and don't think that I would ever where one in civilian attire. Just me 2 cents.

I always find it interesting how often I, while researching berets on the web, stumble upon American (ex) military complaining about berets. Of course, everyone his/her own preference on what to wear (alas, little choice when joining the military...), but often the arguments listed make little or no sense.

Of course, a small diameter beret does nothing to shield the eyes from the sun - that is why armed forces around the world adjust diameters for specific purposes (not the US military, no). The Tarte Alpin is the best example of course, a beret developed for use in the high Alps (plenty of sun there!) and at the same time protecting the wearer from snow when on sentry duty (and staying on while skiing down hill).

Chasseurs-alpins-Bangui_inside_full_content_pm_v8.jpg
01-2000-217-03-30-.jpg

Admittedly, there is a trend for smaller diameters in the military; the French Foreign Legion leading the way with ultra small berets that are actually hard to keep on the head. Interestingly, the standard issue berets in the French military are of medium diameter, but soldiers quickly buy their own smaller models as these are perceived to be more fashionable.

Legion.jpg

Similarly, a Google search on 'how to shrink your beret' shows many YouTube videos of British soldiers turning their berets into 'skullcaps'.

As for a beret being hot.. rubbish! A good quality beret will keep the head warm in the cold and cool in the heat. I have multiple customers in Australia's Northern Territory who wear their Elosegui Limitada year round. A quality beret is made of the finest (17 micron) merino wool, which has excellent insulation capacities.

SU-80-tunisia3-getty.jpg

Like 1280Almas already responded, peasants, shepherds and gauchos have been wearing these berets for centuries in climatic conditions not unlike those at Ft Hood. Similarly, North African Berbers and Tunisians have been wearing chechias for well over a 1000 years; densely felted merino wool, keeping the head cool in the North African dessert heat. And of course, a chechia is not much different from a beret...

Daan

Vendor
Blancq-Olibet+ad.jpg
images

One year after the closing of France's oldest beret manufacturer Blancq-Olibet (1819 - 2014), I did a stock take of the last remaining B.-O. berets in stock. There are very few left...
For those of you who are collectors, or just want to wear a true piece of history, following the numbers of the very last Blancq-Olibets available:

Sales+BO.jpg

Apart from the headband-less lined Bakarra berets in black, navy, Bordeaux, green and grey (available still in 2 - 5 berets per colour), see picture above, there are:
- 7 x PeBeO berets in sizes 57 - 61
- 2 x Vrai Basque berets in navy size 58
- 1 x Grand Foulard Sancho in brown, size 57
- 2 x Grand Foulard PeBeO 11p in size 57 and 58
- 1 x Bakarra Gold Label size 59/10.5p
- 1 x Bakarra DeLuxe size 59
- and 3 Bakarra Excellences is size 57 and 59.

Bakarra+DeLuxe+10.5+pouces-291.JPG
574+2.JPG

You'll find all these here.
Scroll down to the bottom of this page to find the last of the Bakarra Excellences in 291mm without headband, that were custom made for South Pacific Berets (there are four left in stock).

Daan

Vendor
I am grateful to my friend Wayne, for finding the information in this post; an interesting history of Duke University combined with the Chasseurs Alpins.
Much of the information comes from this web site, of which I quote here liberally.

BD+Master+Print+Loupe.jpg

The original Blue Devils were an elite French military unit that fought in the Black Forest and Alps in WWI. Notorious for their resourceful fighting style, the Chasseurs Alpins were dubbed “Blau Tuefel” by their German enemies, Diables Bleus in French or Blue Devils. Their innovative tactics, unrelenting courage, and distinctive attire became legendary in France and ultimately in the United States. In efforts to help Uncle Sam sell war bonds, veteran Blue Devils crossed the Atlantic. Vast crowds cheered as the French Soldiers paraded through New York, Chicago, and the White House. The major newspapers recounted their war stories bullet by bullet. Duke students were looking for a mascot with dark blue color as stories of the Chasseurs Alpins made their way from the Alps to Durham, North Carolina. Although it was not immediately accepted, Duke University officially embraced the Blue Devil nickname in mid 1920’s.

A%2Bla%2Bgloire.png

The Artistic Process:
"I have spent almost five years putting this project together, researching, studying, sketching, drawing, drafting, painting, repainting and printmaking, but in some ways it’s been building for decades."

"In 1986, at age 10, I spent a year living in France when my parents were on sabbatical in Alsace, a strategic focal point and recruiting area for the Blue Devils. In 1996, I spent a year in the Loire Valley studying French politics, military history and art. During that time, I was also able to jump on a train and visit the work of the great French painters from the WWI era. In 2010, I studied landscape painting in the South of France not far from the Pyrenees, another recruiting and training territory for the Blue Devils. In 2012, I moved my studio and exhibition space to Main Street in Durham, North Carolina, less than a mile from Duke’s campus (another Blue Devil training center)."

"Inspired by French impressionism, figurative drawing and the gothic architecture of Duke’s campus, The Original Blue Devils, Alpine Gothic is a collection of artwork that reflects a time of great valor in military history, the distinguished Duke tradition and an artistic synthesis for me."

Revere La Noue discusses the artistic process involved in creating The Original Blue Devils, Alpine Gothic a series of original paintings and limited edition prints:

[video=youtube;Nhrbcek9C6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhrbcek9C6o[/video]

To stay in style, this week on SPECIAL at South Pacific Berets: the Tarte Alpin Auloronesa!
imp_photo_18529_1394872093.jpg

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
Another interesting video about the history of the Blue Devils/Chasseurs Alpins and their link to the Blue Devils of Duke University by Revere La Noue.

[video=youtube;HNpGdJfkcko]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNpGdJfkcko[/video]

And yes, there are still a small number of Tartes Chasseurs Alpins available at the weekly Special.

Daan

Vendor
View attachment 24359

A 1930s holiday snap taken at Giant's Causeway in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. Berets were very popular wear, especially on vacation or sporting activities like cycling.

Really nice picture, Paddy.
Indeed, the beret was very popular in Ireland and still is. Think of Leinster Rugby, for example!

10959698_906831962701478_7993411795615566410_n.jpg

But most beret related material from Ireland is longer ago; some interesting pictures here:

11002593_906831406034867_2758354656078611616_n.jpg

Jim O'Connor, surveys the damage to the Old Bank at Courtown Woods, County Wexford, Ireland, as the remnants of Winter Storm Hercules continue to pound the Irish coast.

10959402_906831432701531_7297443454352412997_n.jpg

An Irish immigrant wears a beret and shields his eyes in order to catch a glimpse of New York City across the harbor, Ellis island, early 20th Century

10957722_906832069368134_2746383913930677339_o.jpg

Steam locomotive maintenance, somewhere in Ireland; date and place unknown

And these are the new berets made by Le Béret Français: un-lined, hand-made wool berets in the Irish colours.
10923265_906832772701397_2426121779366756505_n.jpg
10407444_906832776034730_1953931717241710593_n.jpg

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
My father, about 15 years ago.
Shortly after he stopped wearing berets and switched to peaked caps, around the time I started wearing berets..
His old one was far too small for, but with the cracked faux-leather sweatband removed its a good fit and is still my around-the-house.beret these days.
Same beret, completely different appearance.
Pipa mit Baskenmütze_cr.jpg P2214106.jpg P9270312.jpg P9270319.JPG

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
My father, about 15 years ago.
Shortly after he stopped wearing berets and switched to peaked caps, around the time I started wearing berets..
His old one was far too small for, but with the cracked faux-leather sweatband removed its a good fit and is still my around-the-house.beret these days.
Same beret, completely different appearance.
View attachment 24768 View attachment 24766 View attachment 24767 View attachment 24769

Good to see you here again, Kreissaege - it has been a long time.
Yes, interesting how the same beret can look completely different with or without headband and similarly, the one model beret on different people. Individual features, size, flair (or the lack of it) all play a role.

I am always fascinated by pictures of the old folks from the Pyrenean Mountains, the abuelos from Spain, the old men from Bearn and, the ease and naturalness of them wearing their berets. A few great photos here:

abuelo.jpg
El+abuelo+de+las+monta%C3%B1as.jpg

Dos-abuelos-pronosticaron-hace_54355271207_53699622600_601_341.jpg
Abuelo.jpg
h64_a.jpg

abuelogato.jpg
10954248_640121089455296_288847668_n.jpg

1280almas

New in Town
“DEER BERET brand” known as the deer mark has been continued from 1970. My small tribute

Fireworks (Hana-bi)
Movie Info
Actor and auteur Takeshi Kitano (who in Japan also uses the stage name "Beat" Takeshi, primarily for his work as a television comedian) wrote, directed, edited, and starred in this unusual crime drama. Nishi (Takeshi Kitano) is a policeman whose emotions seem to run only on two extreme paths -- either quiet contentment or brutal rage. Nishi's life is falling apart around him; his daughter was murdered, his wife, Miyuki (Kayoko Kishimoto), is dying of leukemia, his partner, Horibe (Ren Osugi), was ambushed by thugs after Nishi left him to visit his wife in the hospital and will now spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair, and another cop was killed coming to Horibe's rescue. Nishi desperately wants to quit his job so he can spend more time with his dying wife, so he borrows a large sum of money from the yakuza (the Japanese mafia) and takes up a career as a painter while he cares for Miyuki. Not wanting to stay in debt to the gangsters, Nishi engineers a daring bank robbery (using his police uniform and an old auto disguised to look like a squad car) and uses the loot to pay off the yakuza and take his wife on a final vacation. However, the loan sharks are not eager to have Nishi off the hook, and they begin complaining that he still owes them interest on their loan. ~ Rotten tomatoes.
I took these pics of Horibe:
Nishi gives Horibe a beret and painting tools:

The beret is very versatile:

Daan

Vendor
Nice tribute too, Almas!
Yes, the DEER Basques are definitely passé. There were a few foreign potential buyers, keen to continue the manufacturing of these berets, but Kongo-Shokai has now sold all its material to another Japanese hat manufacturer who won't continue the DEER Basques line - a real pity. There is a small chance that I may get some odd numbers of berets when Kongo-Shokai finally shuts it's doors, later next month, but numbers will be small indeed.

Meanwhile, I really enjoy wearing my wine-coloured wool DEER Basque (had to keep a few DEERs for myself, of course!).

Another line of berets has disappeared, but this time not due to the closure of the manufacturer, fortunately. The special edition Elósegui 150 Años Edición Limitada was created in 2008 to celebrate the company's 150th birthday. As is the case for limited editions, the supply had to end. I have tried hard to get a last order in, but was unsuccessful - what is in stock now at South Pacific Berets, is the very last of this illustrious beret; quality wise probably the best beret ever made (and numbers are very low; all models only in the single digits).

Limitada%20302.JPG.opt236x231o0%2C0s236x231.JPG
ETI-ELO-150_1.jpg.opt214x222o0%2C0s214x222.jpg

Boinas Elósegui did come up with an alternative though: the Boina Elósegui Exposición Año 1858. A beret that is principally identical to the Limited Edition; the main difference with the 150 Años Edición Limitada is cosmetic, apart from the lining which is a distinguished silver satin with black lettering. The label portrays the coats of arms of the Basque Provinces, in similar unobtrusive silver-on-black embroidery. The big difference with the Edición Limitada is the -much lower- price!

IMG_1083.JPG

One can argue over comfort and taste, but in objective quality terms, this is likely the best beret on the market.

Daan

Vendor
When I posted on COBRA painter Corneille and his peaked beret on The Beret Project (August, 2011), I actually asked readers for more information on these berets - they were just impossible to find.

Corneille5.gif
Corneille6.jpg

A year later, I managed to lay my hands on a small supply of peaked berets, made by an unknown manufacturer and proudly fitted with my own South Pacific Berets label.

peaked+beret+mirror.jpg

I didn't imagine that only a few years later, three of the major beret manufacturers, Boneteria Auloronesa, Laulhère and Boinas Elósegui would all have their own line of peaked berets. Laulhère led the way with bérets casquette in a variety of colours and with various linings. These berets most resemble a flat cap, but holding on to every definition of a true beret (made of one single thread, one single piece - the peak "pulled out" under steam from the surplus material on the side of the beret).

Casquette%20Bordeaux%202.JPG
Casquette%20Basque%20Auth.%20Bordeaux.JPG.opt199x214o0%2C0s199x214.JPG

Boneteria Aulornesa's bérets casquette stay closer to the original design of the beret and are, in my opinion, the ultimate in comfort; fitted with a liguette (the clever internal drawstring to adjust the size) and plenty material to pull deep over the head if wanted. There is a choice of 6 colours and black.

Adrian%20Casquette%20-Brown.jpg.opt237x235o0%2C0s237x235.jpg
Casquette%20Auloronesa.JPG.opt211x206o0%2C0s211x206.JPG

And only since last month, Spanish (Basque) manufacturer Boinas Elósegui launched their take on the peaked beret - two takes, really! There is the Soleil model, with sewn on peak and the boina Pirineos, in the same tradition as the French casquettes.

IMG_1096.JPG
pirineos.jpg

It seems an entry way for many who would like to wear a beret, but aren't 'quite ready' for it. And good that manufacturers recognized this; great to see there is a good choice of peaked berets available now!

Daan

Vendor
Literally just arrived: Laulhère's brand new 'Bérets Héritage'

1797588_935355773182430_6229698505894670740_n.jpg
11088535_935355786515762_1731357804548217235_n.jpg

The Béret Héritage pays tribute to it's origins. Oloron Sainte Marie is the industrial birthplace of the beret and the embroidered beret label depicts the cow and cross that are the coat of arms of the town; the historic bridge across the Gave that can be seen from Laulhère's waterfront factory; the Pic du Midi (which can be seen from Oloron Sainte Marie on a clear day) and the sheep is a Merino, the noble race of sheep whose fine wool is used for the making of berets.

11034358_935355996515741_2294072153227697638_o.jpg

South Pacific Berets stocks the Héritage in black, midnight-blue, green and brown - a beautifully made 10pouces beret that pays homage to the very origins of the beret.
This beret comes in it's own gift box.

11052510_935355939849080_7764468697274451886_n.jpg
1506731_935355743182433_7540363601358143346_n.jpg

Literally just arrived: Laulhère's brand new 'Bérets Héritage'

1797588_935355773182430_6229698505894670740_n.jpg
11088535_935355786515762_1731357804548217235_n.jpg

The Béret Héritage pays tribute to it's origins. Oloron Sainte Marie is the industrial birthplace of the beret and the embroidered beret label depicts the cow and cross that are the coat of arms of the town; the historic bridge across the Gave that can be seen from Laulhère's waterfront factory; the Pic du Midi (which can be seen from Oloron Sainte Marie on a clear day) and the sheep is a Merino, the noble race of sheep whose fine wool is used for the making of berets.

11034358_935355996515741_2294072153227697638_o.jpg

South Pacific Berets stocks the Héritage in black, midnight-blue, green and brown - a beautifully made 10pouces beret that pays homage to the very origins of the beret.
This beret comes in it's own gift box.

11052510_935355939849080_7764468697274451886_n.jpg
1506731_935355743182433_7540363601358143346_n.jpg

What are these going for

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch