Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Nico

One of the Regulars
Somewhat foggy this morning. Regret not wearing one of my 11p berets.

IMG_2834.jpg

ErikFid

New in Town
Just ordered myself a beret casguette Auloronesa from Daan while they are still available and just for the record, at a very reasonable $15.00 postage cost.
After my previous and first post here, I got a private message from a member not to buy from Daan as his costs are supposedly horrific. Not just unpleasant this behavior, but false too. Had I ordered from the factory as this member suggested, it would have cost me $5.50 more all costs included!
Can someone tell me how to upload my own pictures onto the site?

Reactions: RJR

Nico

One of the Regulars
Just ordered myself a beret casguette Auloronesa from Daan while they are still available and just for the record, at a very reasonable $15.00 postage cost.
After my previous and first post here, I got a private message from a member not to buy from Daan as his costs are supposedly horrific. Not just unpleasant this behavior, but false too. Had I ordered from the factory as this member suggested, it would have cost me $5.50 more all costs included!
Can someone tell me how to upload my own pictures onto the site?

I buy my Berets from Daan, never had any issues what so ever. Very knowledgeable and goes out of his way to answer any questions you may have.
As for uploading photos , at the bottom of the message box you are typing in there is a upload a file tab. Click on this, find the photo you wish to upload from your computer or device and select it.
Good luck.

Daan

Vendor
A new video by Boinas Elósegui, giving a nice view of the various stages of beret manufacturing (traditional Basque music and song included). The fulling machines (at 44 seconds in the film) are antique (literally), being over 100 years old and still going strong. The other thing you'll notice is how much handwork is involved in the making of a beret. Yes, the actual knitting is done by machines, but all other steps (cutting, closing, fulling, brushing, shearing, etc etc) is all handwork.
Personally, I really like the more arty film below. This was made 5 years ago as a promotional video for the berets made by Boinas Elósegui for the Basque fashion house Loreak Mendian.
And then there is the No todos lo entienden ("Not everyone understands - We do") video, shot at the Fiestas de Irún and celebrating the traditional red Basque beret.

RJR

I buy my Berets from Daan, never had any issues what so ever. Very knowledgeable and goes out of his way to answer any questions you may have.
As for uploading photos , at the bottom of the message box you are typing in there is a upload a file tab. Click on this, find the photo you wish to upload from your computer or device and select it.
Good luck.
+1

Studebaker Driver

One of the Regulars
+1 here, too.
Daan is a great guy who put up with many questions from me and, most importantly, he put me in berets I love to wear. How many of us have made rookie purchases that ended with unsatisfactory costume pieces we won't be seen in? Daan's merchandise was top notch and they are a regular part of my daily wardrobe. I wish I had more heads so I could wear more headgear.

Daan

Vendor
Pipe-smokers have often featured on The Beret Project; pipes and berets being such a natural combination. It's not just the wearers of the beret that smoke a pipe, there are actually many pipes that resemble the pipe smoker.
19511499_1562720983779236_259741609801012266_n.png

The pictures above and below show a pipe used in the Great War (1914-18), depicting a Chasseur Alpin.
upload_2017-6-28_8-17-27.png
upload_2017-6-28_8-17-36.png

Following, two pics of a briar pipe depicting a member of the French Paratroopers, typically wearing the small diameter 8.5p military beret in red (beret badge included!).
upload_2017-6-28_8-19-34.png
upload_2017-6-28_8-19-43.png

And last a good Basque beret in a briar pipe, beard and all:
upload_2017-6-28_8-21-28.png
upload_2017-6-28_8-21-38.png

Interestingly, I encountered many more beret wearers on my last trip to the Beret Heartlands than pipe-smokers. A good thing, I suppose...

Daan

Vendor
There is an enormous variety in cotton berets, but not all qualify as a true Basque beret. Firmness, weight, breathability, shape-steadiness and general comfort are all equally important in making a true cotton Basque beret.
beret+green+cotton.jpg

South Pacific Berets works with only four traditional and artisan Basque beret manufacturers who have also specialized in working with cotton.
colage+Plato+Grandes.jpg
upload_2017-6-30_14-18-21.png

First and foremost: Bonigor from Buenos Aires, offering a large range of cotton berets in diameters varying between 28 and 35cm.
upload_2017-6-30_14-20-17.png
upload_2017-6-30_14-20-28.png

The Fábrica Nacional in Montevideo is, like Bonigor, a major supplier of cotton berets to the gaucho’s, farmers and workers of the South American pampas and fields in a range of sizes, colours and weights.
upload_2017-6-30_14-22-56.png
upload_2017-6-30_14-23-35.png
upload_2017-6-30_14-23-45.png

France’s oldest beret manufacturer Laulhère and young manufacturer Le Béret Français have both taken a more contemporary look at the cotton beret; Laulhère leading in high fashion and Le Béret Français in the development of super-light, easy to wear and eco-friendly berets of recycled materials.
upload_2017-6-30_14-32-44.png
upload_2017-6-30_14-32-55.png
upload_2017-6-30_14-33-4.png

Daan

Vendor
Likely to be the last of the Limited Edition series made by Boneteria Auloronesa, the Aotearoa Édition limitée is a one-off series of foulard quality berets, handmade in a very small number in black and denim-blue; fitted with New Zealand päua (abalone) cotton lining and carrying the Boneteria Aotearoa woven label.
upload_2017-7-6_12-32-17.png
upload_2017-7-6_12-34-10.png

The French merino wool berets have undergone a brushing process that makes them especially soft to the touch; these are not only unique, but also -I dare say- the most comfortable berets the world has to offer.
upload_2017-7-6_12-33-33.png
upload_2017-7-6_12-33-15.png

Available in 10p, 11p and 12p/Alpin. Very limited availability: total numbers produced: 8 per plateau in black and 4 per plateau in denim-blue.
19554970_1570060809711920_7154901202962549237_n.jpg

ErikFid

New in Town
Received my Auloresa casquette this morning. What a fantastic cap (or beret, or béret?). Now, how did I ever go without a beret? Just placed an order for the green casquette and the beautiful Limited Edition in 11. Starting to look like a dangerous addiction, I need more!!

Last edited:

Nico

One of the Regulars
Received my Auloresa casquette this morning. What a fantastic cap (or beret, or béret?). Now, how did I ever go without a beret? Just placed an order for the green casquette and the beautiful Limited Edition in 11. Starting to look like a dangerous addiction, I need more!!

If it makes you feel good and happy I say why not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ